Heritage Owners Club

What are we using?

Steiner

I've heard that John does, in fact, play those amps while wearing fishnet stockings, stilettos and a leopard print miniskirt, but my vote for "amp-whore" goes to slider...his collection has much more trash in it...?

Forgot bright red lipstick.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've heard that John does, in fact, play those amps while wearing fishnet stockings, stilettos and a leopard print miniskirt, but my vote for "amp-whore" goes to slider...his collection has much more trash in it...?

No!  Say it ain't so!  Sounds like it would get confusing.  Unless, one has many "hidden" personalities in which case, it would be straight forward...   :tard:

Has Slider chimed in?  Do you think he will, now?

Tight pants and lipstick...  one of the more memorable lines in rock :)

Get 'em Kuz!

Young Master Hagar, I believe

You, Sir, must have a memory like a steel trap!  I haven't seen Anything get by you!

I hope I never get involved in a music trivia - to the death - against you.

+1 for staying on top!

Amps are a big (biggest) part of the tone equation. You can run two,three,four together and have a virtual wall of sound. You can only play one guitar at a time.  ;D  Some may beg to differ, but I'm of the belief that 80% of what your going to get from your guitar is your amp.

I use my '65 Deluxe Reverb the most because it sems to be the perfect wattage for almost anything I do. My '64 Vibrolux comes in to play if I need a bit more clean headroom and then my '66 Pro Reverb for more clean headroom. For blues jams or small,low volume venues,I use my '65 non reverb Deluxe or Martin 112. I have a few real mint amps that don't leave the house and I enjoy playing them with friends at home.

width=600 height=450http://img.photobucket.com/albums/b376/slider313/Picture575.jpg[/img]

deluxereverb.jpg

width=600 height=450http://img.photobucket.com/albums/b376/slider313/Picture698.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=450http://img.photobucket.com/albums/b376/slider313/Picture666.jpg[/img]

So, let me get this straight...  To say you're a Fender devote is an understatement? :)

That's a splendid collection!  Do the various models have strong, distinguishing characteristics?  That is, does one do blues, another rock, one for jazz and one for clean?  I have a couple Fenders too, mostly for sentimental reasons, and haven't taken the time to sort them.  Can you help a guy out and Slider some knowledge my way?

Yup - that is one great collection of amps, slider.  Suppose I should ask since you have quite a few 6V6 / 6L6 amps - have you done a tube compare between NOS vs new tubes?  If so, what's your favorite?

Yes, I am a real tube head and am always comparing and A/B'ing tubes and speakers. I happen to prefer new production power tubes to their NOS counterparts in most amps. I feel the new stuff has more clean headroom and a tighter sound for better note seperation than the NOS stuff. The exception would be in some lower watt cathode bias amps that compress early and need some "brightening up". My favorite 6V6,6L6 and 5881 are the new Tung Sol stuff. I have a nice collection of NOS/NIB 6V6 tubes and my Deluxe and Deluxe Reverb both have new TS 6V6's. The cathode biased tweed Deluxe has a set of NOS Sylvania blackplates and the Martin 112 (cathode biased also) has a set of RCA 7408's. My Pro Reverb,Bandmaster and brown Vibrolux all have the new Tung Sol 6L6GC STR's and my brown Super and my Vibrolux Reverb have the TS 5881's. For pre-amp tube I use all NOS stuff. This is where the big difference is to me. I have yet to find a new production 12ax7 that sounds as good as the NOS stuff. The new Tung Sol 12ax7 is as close as it gets, but I still prefer a good old GE,RCA,Sylvania,Westinghouse,Raytheon,etc.

I happen to prefer new production power tubes to their NOS counterparts in most amps. I feel the new

stuff has more clean headroom and a tighter sound for better note seperation than the NOS stuff. The

exception would be in some lower watt cathode bias amps that compress early and need some "brightening

up". My favorite 6V6,6L6 and 5881 are the new Tung Sol stuff.

I have yet to find a new production 12ax7 that sounds as good as the NOS stuff. The new Tung Sol 12ax7

is as close as it gets, but I still prefer a good old GE,RCA,Sylvania,Westinghouse,Raytheon,etc.

It's thanks to guys like you Slider that have enough equipment to compare that my amp uses Tung Sols

in the preamp and power tubes.  I've seen recommendations for them in a lot of places and I am certainly

happy with them.  The only NOS tubes in my amp are a Jan Philips 12at7 for the reverb driver and an RCA

5U4GB rectifier.

You are the first however that I hear state you prefer modern tubes to NOS if you have the choice.

That suits me fine as NOS tubes are expensive.

Compaired to some of you guys, I got nothing! :'(

For the Jazz boxes my old 1963 Ampeg ReverbRocket with couple of RCA 7591's and Cannabis Rex 12. Never appreciated this when I was a kid.

For the P90s  Swart Tweed  5watts 6v6 Tong Sol (ordered a Weber Attenuator) Listened to the Wolfe demo videos.

For Strats and Buckers... Goodsell 7/2 Super Seven with 84s the cab has a Celestion Vintage 30.

For gains  Vox AD15 Valvetronic.

Want list. stack Marshall (Blackstar) Vox (Nighttrain?)

Here's one for you. I had some amp problems at rehearsal Saturday. Turns out it was my big foot and the pedal board. But before we found the problem my Rhythm player set up his Roland Cube 60 for me to use. Seems he'd been using it all night, sitting right next to his BadCat. Sounded pretty darned good! I got some real twang and bang from that amp. It didn't have quite the warmth and goodness of the Tweeds and BadCat once we hooked them back up. But if you didn't know ... you wouldn't have thought it was a 60w SS amp. We're thinking of getting a pair and using them in a couple of the matchbook sized stages we play. Would be killer!!

Kenny,

I'll buy you a Roland cube to trade you for the Bad Cat if that is what you really want. (What model Bad Cat does you band member have?)

Bad Cat... those are the only amps that I haven't checked off the AAS list.

John,

He's already got the Cube and the BadCat, so can't help you there.  :'(  I think he's got the Burgundy colored one. You know, that one! :angel: It's basically a Vox. Maybe a bit more effecient. But sure looks like (tube compliment-wise) and sounds like a Vox to me. Got an AC15CC1 w/BlueDog I'm not using ...... hmmmm  :rolleyes:

I'm guessing maybe it's a 'Hot Cat' model?  I was lusting after a Cub IIR for a while a year or 2 ago.  Liked it - liked it a lot.  Nice cleans, really good harmonics in the overdrive.  After playing thru one at a shop for a while, I lifted it off the floor.  Was instantly cured of my desire (hefty little suckers they are).

I'm guessing maybe it's a 'Hot Cat' model?  I was lusting after a Cub IIR for a while a year or 2 ago.  Liked it - liked it a lot.  Nice cleans, really good harmonics in the overdrive.  After playing thru one at a shop for a while, I lifted it off the floor.  Was instantly cured of my desire (hefty little suckers they are).

And there you go! We refuse to help him load in and out with that amp. He can carry it. My Tweeds can put out as a good a tone as he's getting AND I can carry my amp, guitar and pedalboard all by myself. My Mesa Lone Star is in that same weight class. It now sits at home while the lighter weight toys get all the use.

Yeh - funny, a guy I play with and I were looking at Roland 60s as well.  Had heard good things about them, the demos on youtube sounded good.  And you described it perfectly, Kenny - it's okay, but side-by-side when you've got the 'real' thing (a good tube amp) it just doesn't get all the way there.  A decent device, tho.  I've still thought about one as a bike amp.  I can carry my tele in the saddlebags, but my tube amps aren't gonna like the jiggly ride.  Figure I can put a bracket on a roland to mount on the saddlebag mounts and it'd 'ride' there fine - and probably survive most journeys. 

See, there IS a place for 'em - small, lightweight, fairly cheap... and if it falls off the bike and crashes ya just stop by GC and get another  8)

(hint to Jim and Alicia for their travels to PSPII...  could also make a nice backrest I bet  :wink:

Yea, I am with you guys. I keep working my way down in wattage and the added benefit of a lighter amp.

But I will hull the burden of weight for the tone. The only one that doesn't make it out to jams or Church service is the Bogner.

If I brought the Bogner out with the over sized 2x12 to church "I would literally 'scare the hell out of them', which I guess is the idea of worship :angel:

Archived