Heritage Owners Club

What are we using?

Steiner

I have been playing my Super lately. mostly because thats the only amp I have in my practice space. Its literally hard to get a quiet enough tone out of that amp. I play with pedals which helps allot. Main pedal is the Fulltone 2 .

I really love my Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 20th aniv. . Its a 20w amp with 2xel84 tubes, 2 channels. The Clean channel is just awesome and I really love the drive channel too. Wow, I need to enjoy what I have. That is about the perfect amp. Anyway, I keep that amp at home but it can play small clubs. It gets loud enough.

everyone will get a chance to hear it at the pilgrimage.

Can't wait to see everyone1

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's an amp I get a kick out of - 1956 Gibson GA6.  Been thru the mill, pretty much everything's been replaced at one time or another (including of course the purple tolex).  Has one setting - overdrive - it's just variations on rich 6v6 tube distortion.  But plug in and somebody say 'smokestake lightning' baby  8)

width=600 height=450http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh237/fxdx99/heritagehoc154.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=450http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh237/fxdx99/heritagehoc153.jpg[/img]

Randy,

Pure and simple..... I want it (or one just like it).

Wow, (other than the color- which I could live with too) my heart skipped some beats.

Between the '58 Deluxe in the dump and your GA6, man just that's where it's at!!!!!

Hi Guys,

here are my 5 cent:

singer/songwriter project, depending on the location:

Digitech 2101 with 12AX7 and a Hughes & Kettner valve power amp 2 x 50 W

2 x 1 x 12 marshall cab, or 2 x 4 x 12 marshall cab, all with v 30 speakers

For this project I have to deliver a lot of different sounds, that's why I use something fully programmable

for recording sessions:

Seymour Duncan Convertible Head, 100 W (Jeff Beck endorsed and used this amp some decades ago), combined with a 1 x 12 marshall cab

Session Sessionette 75, 2 x 10  ( was used by David Gilmour, Jan Akermann and Geoff Whitehorn in the mid 80s)

This amp surprises me. it's solid state and sounds very good on the clean channel for warm jazzy sounds and for very clean crispy sounds, too. Great for whatever rythm guitar work. Eventhough it's solid state, it does the job for very creamy sounds (Moore, Carlos S.). The guys who produced the Session amps, obviously used high quality components. 

Pedals:

MXR MC 401 Booster (that Bradshaw thing)

Digitech Digi Delay

Digitech Multi Chorus

Cry Baby Wah

Vox Wah

I am currently using either a Mesa Boogie Maverick 2x12 or a Soldano Astroverb 16 1x12.  The Soldano is one of my favorite amps.  It weighs practically nothing and absolutely sings when I run my 535 through it. 

I am currently using either a Mesa Boogie Maverick 2x12 or a Soldano Astroverb 16 1x12.  The Soldano is one of my favorite amps.  It weighs practically nothing and absolutely sings when I run my 535 through it. 

Hey HJ, I used to have a Maverick Prototype, #97. The guys at Mesa told me there were about 120 prototypes of the Maverick floating around. I never got to play a production model, altho' I understand after about #90 or they were all pretty much the same. Got a pic of that bad boy of yours?

Hey HJ, I used to have a Maverick Prototype, #97. The guys at Mesa told me there were about 120 prototypes of the Maverick floating around. I never got to play a production model, altho' I understand after about #90 or they were all pretty much the same. Got a pic of that bad boy of yours?

I don't have a pic available right now (I'm killing time on the company dime) but I'll post one when I get home from work.  I'm pretty sure mine's just a run of the mill Maverick.  It's treated me well but it's seen a lot of road time so it's pretty beat. 

That's cool! 8) Gotta have inspirations and goals.  :wink:

When I first played the Maverick Proto it was about the closest thing to heaven I'd ever heard. It took about 5 years before I found one. My wife even remembered hearing me play thru that amp. Thing is, the one I got wasn't quite as close to heaven as we remembered. :undecided: That one you got looks real nice. Mine was in the old DC cab. Guess thats what they used before production. ??? Here's mine.Guess it was actually #91.

mav_controls1.jpg_thumb

Had a Mesa Rocket44 for quite a few years.  Sold it when I got the Allen.  A different/unique clean sound. The distortion channel was a little to heavy for me, but I liked it for recording.  Was a little heavy for a combo and wow was it LOUD.  Swear it could blow out the back windows of a club if you cranked it.  It did need the dual eq for effective channel switching as settings weren't optimum when compromised for both.

width=600 height=450http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh237/fxdx99/guitamps_001.jpg[/img]

I've owned 3 Mesa's and everyone of them was/is super heavy for the size.  You'd think the boxes were made of stone instead of wood. Uh, guess it could be the iron. But yeah, loud describes all 3 of them very well. My fav is still the Lone Star for just plain rockin' out. My local pusher is getting both of the new Mesa's so I'll get the chance to at least play thru them. Won't try to pick them up off the floor, tho"!  :angel:

Mesas are a VERY heavy amp.  Especially in their road case.  That's part of the appeal of the Soldano Astroverb.  The thing is the size of a briefcase and puts out a ton of sound.  That makes my gigging life a heck of a lot easier.  Now, if I could only cut down the size of my pedalboard...

Ah yes, the amp builder's lament.  How to get sweet chimey, blossoming sound without farting out the bass.  Nobody I know of has been able to settle it without massive quantities of iron.  

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it ;D

I'm new to the group, and only a part-time guitar slinger (full-time lawyer).  I recently bought a Goodsell Super 17 Mk. III and have been blown away by the tone.  If you haven't checked one out, I recommend that you do.  Richard Goodsell is also a great guy, and stands behind his work without question.  www.superseventeen.com

Regards to all!

The MusicMan HD-130 Reverb is my fave.. What can I say.. I'm still crazy after all these years... This thing will blow out the windows if I crank it so I'm still waiting for a neighbor to piss me off  >:D I don't think it's a particularly good distortion amp, but for old-time warm Fender like cleans it's very nice.

I've also got a little Fender 25R. After a speaker upgrade it actually sounds pretty good.

And for mobility.. I've got the BIG BOY!! Don't mess with the Honeytone (though mine is actually gween..). It doesn't exactly "grow" on you but it has it's little place in my musical life.

mmhd-130-head.jpg

mmhd-130-head.jpg_thumb

mini-amp.gif

mini-amp.gif_thumb

All these amp collections are something to behold.

All I can pull out is a Peavey Classis 30,  Peavey Transformer 112 (pretty noisy but fun in a weird way),  a '68 Guild Thunderbird 2x12 that is in the rebuilding process after half the amp was underwater when the basement flooded a year or so back.

Oh yeah,  can't for get the '53 National Supreme (Valco) that I recently rescued from my dad's attic after about 30 years.  On my next trip north, I plan to drop it off with Terry Dobbs who seems to be THE guy for restoring old Valco amps.  I'm afraid to even plug it in after that many years.

Finally for fun and travel, the POD XT.  That and a pair of headphones work out well when you're in the Holiday Inn at 11:00 and other people actually want to sleep! ;D

I'm actually in the market right now for a new amp.

Lately I was using a Fender RI '59 Bassman LTD, but even it is too big to schlep around for me anymore now that I'm approaching age 60. Besides, last time I thought I needed it for an outdoor concert a few weeks ago they mic'd me and I had to turn way down anyway.

Previous to that I'd used Tech 21 TM 60 and it was fine sounding, but still didn't  breathe like a tube amp.

I like everything about Victoria tweed Deluxe models except the price.

I like clean headroom for jazz with my H-575, and although 1X 12" combo transistor amps seem ok for that I appreciate warm tubes for sound and response. My problem is that anything bigger than a tweed Deluxe size is getting too heavy with tubes and transformers.

Suggestions appreciated. $600 is about all I want to spend right now. Currently I just use a Bogen C-35 with a 1 X 12 cabinet (about a 25w Eminence ceramic spkr), but it sounds sterile and I'd be better off phoning in my parts.

Archived