Heritage Owners Club

Ordered a new H-137 today

pegleg32

I'm sure many of you know I have been searching for a used 137 for about 4 months now. During a recent post I got a chance to look at Jay Wolfe's inventory and came across this H-137. Korina body, intonable bridge, and best of all a fat 50's BOUND neck. I just fell in love and today I finally ordered it. It will be a very Merry Christmas indeed!!! Link below:

http://www.gbase.com/gear/heritage-h137-ko...-korina-natural

Beauty, pegleg! "Form follows function." A definitive plank, in all the right ways! Move the women and children to a safe distance, and stand back when you spool those Lollars up. I think you're in for a surprise. Too bad you couldn't also land Mike's '65 Deluxe at the same time. That would be a lethal combination! Tone report forthcoming, I trust.... How was Jay to deal with, for you on this one?

How was Jay to deal with, for you on this one?

Worked with Graham on this one. Great sense of humor and very helpful. When he was repeating back the order he said "lets see, that was the baby pink guitar with the Miley Cyrus case, right?"

Also made an excellent suggestion that I may follow up on in the future - suggested special ordering a G&L with a fat neck and 12" radius. That appeals to me also!!

Worked with Graham on this one. Great sense of humor and very helpful...

I got my H-137 from Wolfe Guitars and also dealt with Graham. He is indeed a funny man! I couldn't be happier with mine (and I've been gigging with it for 3 years). The H-137 is a GREAT guitar! (The Lollar P90s are the shite!)

Congrats! That natural korina w/bound neck looks sweet!

tremendous. Love it's 'utilitarian' leanings.

is it bad form to ask how much? anyone?(not sure why that would be, but still not sure why dealers dont list their prices- unless of course they are waiting for the off-chance that Ferris Bueller is gonna walk thru the door with a bankroll- come to think of it - guess I wouldn't list a price either!).

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just my luck, the H137 didn't work out. No one's fault, just had some problems, so I sent it back. I told them to keep the money for now while I shop. I know SPG is a big G&L fan as well as many others in the HOC. The G&L Invader XL with dual humbuckers and coil splitter has picqued my interest. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience or insight into this axe?

Thanks,

Don

Well, just my luck, the H137 didn't work out. No one's fault, just had some problems, so I sent it back. I told them to keep the money for now while I shop. I know SPG is a big G&L fan as well as many others in the HOC. The G&L Invader XL with dual humbuckers and coil splitter has picqued my interest. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience or insight into this axe?

Thanks,

Don

Thats to bad, I'm sure it will all work out.. go for the 137 dc..

It came with an Access case instead of a Heritage case, which like Graham said, is probably a better case than the Heritage and according to him, fits the 137 better than the Heritage case. It was a great case, I just wish they had cleared it with me beforehand. Then when I got it, the neck pickup didn't have any volume, which probably can be fixed by Wolfe Guitars, no big deal. The main thing for me was that I just could not get it adjusted to the action I wanted - the neck seems to have a dip in it about the 10th - 12th fret and the strings would ping out. Granted I do set the action on my guitars very low, but it works ok on the 150 and 535. Along the way, Graham mentioned getting a G&l with a thick neck and he felt I might be happier with the action on that guitar so I thought I would look into it.

It came with an Access case instead of a Heritage case,....

I got the same case when I ordered a 137 from them. They are great cases. I drove to Moulton, Al. to get an Access case for my H-475.

If you're looking for something with P-90s how about getting a guitar with humbucker routing and fitting Duncan P-Rails. I've looked long and hard at a few lefty Heritages with Lollar P-90s but never taken the plunge, mainly due to the lack of height adjustment with the pickups themselves. You can order different height shims to raise or lower the height but to me that's just messy. I've never played a Lollar equipped P-90 guitar and I'm sure they're great, but with the P-Rails I can always revert to Seth Lovers or 59s' or whatever without too much trouble and they are height adjustable like any other humbucker sized pickup. The 170 is fitted with them and the recently acquired 535 will also be getting them. With the triple shot switching system no push / pull, mini switches or drilling of holes is required.

On the G&L invader, that's one I haven't played, I did come close to snagging one on Ebay a while back but it was only a couple of hundred dollars. ( Probably just as well I didn't get it as it was metallic silver !). If your main reason for going for one of those is the pickup options with splitting etc. then again P-Rails would be my preferred option, if it has to be G&L how about an ASAT Deluxe semi hollow with those fitted.

Just my 2c as they say.

If you're looking for something with P-90s how about getting a guitar with humbucker routing and fitting Duncan P-Rails. I've looked long and hard at a few lefty Heritages with Lollar P-90s but never taken the plunge, mainly due to the lack of height adjustment with the pickups themselves. You can order different height shims to raise or lower the height but to me that's just messy. I've never played a Lollar equipped P-90 guitar and I'm sure they're great, but with the P-Rails I can always revert to Seth Lovers or 59s' or whatever without too much trouble and they are height adjustable like any other humbucker sized pickup. The 170 is fitted with them and the recently acquired 535 will also be getting them. With the triple shot switching system no push / pull, mini switches or drilling of holes is required.

On the G&L invader, that's one I haven't played, I did come close to snagging one on Ebay a while back but it was only a couple of hundred dollars. ( Probably just as well I didn't get it as it was metallic silver !). If your main reason for going for one of those is the pickup options with splitting etc. then again P-Rails would be my preferred option, if it has to be G&L how about an ASAT Deluxe semi hollow with those fitted.

Just my 2c as they say.

All well thought out advice SPG. My main reason for the Invader was the 12" radius and 1 11/16" nut with low action, as well as the humbucker/singlecoil on one guitar option. But I have not heard one other than a clip I didn't think much of on UTUBE. I love the sounds I hear from the ASAT semi-hollow Blues Boy, but it is a 7 1/2" radius and narrower neck. As you suggest, I can always change pickups, but I can't change the neck size once I get it.

Archived