Heritage Owners Club

My Amp Family

tulk1

Here's a pic of my 4 amps. Nothing really wowzers about the collection. But for now, they are all mine. ;) Wife is pushing hard to get rid of the combos and go head/cabinet. Sure ... why not?!? :D Played them all today, too. My fingers hurt so I've got to stop for a bit. Each amp sure has it's own flavor. The guitars each sound like that guitar, but get delivered differently, if that makes sense. The Super is very mid-rangey, bit of a honk; the Mesa is actually kinda bottom heavy with some real punch even at lower volumes; the Vox is, well, a Vox - chimey, articulate and has it's own brand of punch with the Top Boost; and believe it or not, the 5E3 really came alive today, too. Nice warm clean tones, which is something I've always thought it lacked. Not as full as the others, but really held it's own. A Dr. Z Galaxy right next to them would really round out this collection. ;)

Oh, the panaramic software did some funny stuff to the photo, so ignore the dust it put on the piano bench, and the unused exercise chair, and all the junk on the fireplace. And the weird angles of the amps, too. ;)

post-220-1260740089_thumb.jpg

What a great family photo!! I love all of those amps. And to have a wife that even knows the difference between a combo and a head/speaker rig is icing on the cake.

I see your camera also placed a fire extinguisher nearby...in case any of those amps get too hot while you are running them at '11'!

And is that a head-hung-low Tiger Woods on your TV??

the Mesa is actually kinda bottom heavy with some real punch even at lower volumes;

Hey Tulk, a very nice line up indeed. All quality tone monsters. I'm interested in what you said about the Mesa. I record backing tracks to practice lead to, and I'm playing around with some strong bass lines while chording but I'm just not getting what I want out of the lower end of any of my amps. I use the neck pickup and finger pick the bass lines and chords. Some of the amps just fuzz and rattle and others just don't sound right. Do you think that Mesa would handle something like that? Or maybe I should just try a real bass amp and play guitar through it. Any thoughts?

Aw... Those little ones are so cute when they're old, aren't they?

Nice family! You should be proud.

Glad y'all like the amps.

Git, The guy on the TV is that Dirty Jobs guy. It was a repeat of Shark Week today.

Peggers, not sure what you're trying to get out of the walking bass lines. Why not just lay down a bass? As for my Mesa, it's always been a heavy breather; lots of bottom end. It's not a boomy, loose sound either. Very tight and punchy. If that helps.

Petey, my LSC is #450. How cool is that? B)

Ah - so that blocks the front on assault to eardrums right in front... how's it work for you? Alter the sound on stage - do you tilt it back towards you, elevate it, or on the floor straight on?

I like my amp tilted just slightly upwards. Not much, but some. The idea is to difuse the highs a bit so they are more non-directional. Seems to work fine. Don't notice much, if any sound alteration.

Have Beam Blockers on my "The Note." Like the effect of the diffused highs. Amp sounds really good! And very nice collection of boxes, Kenny. That 5E3's a honey.

+1 on the BBs. They do seem to work.

Here's a slightly better pic of the 5E3, from before I put the name plate on it. It's a blonde tolex. Got it to match the case for my EJ Strat. Then sold the Strat! Argh!! Thinking all that stuff Slider (Mike) helped me with might have mellowed that puppy just a bit, which is what we were after. Last I looked this amp was at the top of the builders pics on Weber's site. I've changed a few caps, but kept up the original builder's good soldering techniques.

Front2.jpg

Nice! That mesa looks sweet..

nice collection. Which one you favoring lately? You got enough love for all of them?

BTW, I own 1 head unit, a 4x12 and a 1x12 cab. I grab the combos almost all the time . easier to haul

My fav of the 4 is the Vox. It's just got it. I'm not sure how else to say it. I really like the Mesa and it was my main amp for a long time, but it can get hard to tame. But honestly, for gigging these days, the Super takes it. Easy to carry at 28lbs, is very warm and yet sparkles with the single coils. The 5E3 is mostly a living room amp so far. I rarely take the Vox or Mesa out anymore, simply because of the weight. The Mesa weighs in around 90+ lbs, and the Vox is pushing 65lbs.

So, not much joy in hauling the head/cab, eh? That is one reason I've stuck with combos, myself. All in one unit! But, if Shel is going to help fund another amp just to get me into a head/cab ... uh ...... need I say any more? B)

...Wife is pushing hard to get rid of the combos and go head/cabinet. Sure ... why not?!?...

most xlnt wife, tho' i don't know about getting rid of all the combos...

suggestion: you might order a Mather cab to put one of the combos on top, for starters. i'm imaginating something like this only with covering and grille to taste:

so, i talked to Peter and ordered a slant-front 1x12, later i put a Celestion Gold in it, put a Juke 1210 on top of it or a Heritage Victory. thinkin' about a 1x15 now... :D

post-10-1260983948_thumb.jpg

most xlnt wife, tho' i don't know about getting rid of all the combos...

That she is. Altho' she hasn't agreed to the trigger pull just yet.

suggestion: you might order a Mather cab to put one of the combos on top, for starters. i'm imaginating something like this only with covering and grille to taste:
Dude!!! trying to downsize and reduce the overall carrying load. Not add to it. :D Altho' if I got the head version I could possibly need another 1x12 8ohm cab. :D

so, i talked to Peter and ordered a slant-front 1x12, later i put a Celestion Gold in it, put a Juke 1210 on top of it or a Heritage Victory. thinkin' about a 1x15 now... ;)

How do you like the Cel Gold? Can it possibly be all it's supposed to be, and worth the $$s?

Archived