Heritage Owners Club

Specked out a custom 170

big bob

So Brent got me all lubed up about a custom. I called Graham at wolfe and he is quoting me a price for a special 170

Chambered, like the Popsicle

Natural back and sides, like the Popsicle

Clown burst, with cream binding

Ebony board no face markers, bound mop inlay

Gut cut

stat dlx, or hockey stick headstock

three mini hums

stinger

should know soon what the price will be

and I will need to sell something, or things!!

I'm excited ..

OH Yeah... it sounds like you want that is more than just a little different... how fun!!!

It would be great if it works out... I know that you will get something unique that you will love....!!

I'm kinda afraid of what Ren will say.. Have the fingers crossed..

Looks like you ought to get rid of that horrific Popsicle! Perhaps send it the nether-lands of SE Michigan :thumbsup:

thats the one I would like to keep.. It plays great..

who knows?

Keep? That gaudy thing? Jeepers, just look at the headstock; you'd never be able to play hockey with that!

You need something more customary for the laboratory...

Here's my thoughts, as if they ever matter. I'd be careful about the no markers. Maybe get mini-dots or micro dots. Whether you think so now or not, a time may come when you need to sell it. Most of us lesser humans need the dots on the fb, even if we don't use them (which I think we do subliminally).

Second thought - they're gonna say "NO" on the hockeystick headstock. Just a gut feeling. Which means absolutely nothing in the scheme of things.

Other than that, sounds like a very very custom guitar, Lance.

Here's my thoughts, as if they ever matter. I'd be careful about the no markers. Maybe get mini-dots or micro dots. Whether you think so now or not, a time may come when you need to sell it. Most of us lesser humans need the dots on the fb, even if we don't use them (which I think we do subliminally).

Second thought - they're gonna say "NO" on the hockeystick headstock. Just a gut feeling. Which means absolutely nothing in the scheme of things.

Other than that, sounds like a very very custom guitar, Lance.

I think they will say yes to the headstock, but no to the gut cut on a chambered !!!

+1 on the dots, or lack of, especially if it might at some stage be used in lessons. Ever try following someone on a neck that has no dots ?

I had to stop using a Takamine EN10 for that reason. Also had a Godin LGX with no dots, it was a pain to play in poor lighting situations.

I like the three mini hums, maybe an Eagle Centurion headstock would go well with those ?

That sounds like a really sweet guitar Lance. i think the mini humms are a good choice. i would drop the banana headstock and go with a reg headstock bound and inlayed (just my 2 cents)....no markers looks cool too

I was thinking that they may not do the headstock, but when you described it as a "stat dlx" that may make it possible.

The mini-buckers sound like a cool idea .

And how about dots that are off-center if you change your mind about the dots...?

I was thinking that they may not do the headstock, but when you described it as a "stat dlx" that may make it possible.

The mini-buckers sound like a cool idea .

And how about dots that are off-center if you change your mind about the dots...?

the Popsicle has dots so dark yo cannot see them as you play, and I like it, I use the side markers more any way

the Popsicle has dots so dark yo cannot see them as you play, and I like it, I use the side markers more any way

I can relate to the side marker comment...

I have a guitar where the side markers are really hard to see and it sucks to play in low lighting....

Smile - Brent's guitar had the right effect. And one NICE guitar that is. Sent an email as well with an idea, but might be too 'off' to be viable. Will see.

You never know until you try, it only makes sense for the HOC to get the coolest Heritage axes out there... :D

Chambered, like the Popsicle

Ebony board

three mini hums

Just my own personal thoughts here and I'm not afraid to be told I'm wrong, but I don't think you will find the low end you may be needing with the mini-humbuckers.

I have played them on a few guitars (LP Dlx, Firebird, Flying V), but I really only liked them on the Firebird and I loved them there. Actually I liked them on the Firebird so well I retrofitted my V. But in the end, it just didn't have the balls and sing of the solid neck-through and I sold it. They were just OK, a little bright, and certainly not "to die for". I've also considered swapping the minis on my LP Dlx for P90s, which are what was supposed to be there in the first place. Money.

I would think a chambered body with ebony keyboard would have a naturally higher resonant frequency and putting minis on it might just take it too high.

Like I said, just my thoughts.

........... but I don't think you will find the low end you may be needing with the mini-humbuckers.

I too have been contemplating a custom. I am either going to go with a set of mini-buckers or P-90s. The guitar will not have a neck through body design. Good food for thought young hoosier.

How do the two pickups sound clean on a "reglar" guitar? The P-90 on the 137 I had was too dark. It wouldn't clean up much at all. Could you get a decent clean, yet sharp, blues tone from them?

I too have been contemplating a custom. I am either going to go with a set of mini-buckers or P-90s. The guitar will not have a neck through body design. Good food for thought young hoosier.

How do the two pickups sound clean on a "reglar" guitar? The P-90 on the 137 I had was too dark. It wouldn't clean up much at all. Could you get a decent clean, yet sharp, blues tone from them?

Hate to hijack the thread but,

I would say you could get a decent blues sound with minis at a clean setting. Of course, at clean settings a lot depends how well the guitar will naturally sing unaided. If the string begins to fade too soon, you'd be disappointed and think it is dull.

I just ran my LP Deluxe (mini-hums) through my clean channel (Marshall 30th Anniversary 2x12 EVM-12Ls) with a small bit of reverb and inched up just a little edge via a TS-9 till its gain was set at roughly 11 o'clock (just enough to start to be heard). Amp Treble and Mid were at 12 o'clock and Bass was full crank (You don't get a lot of bass out of a British amp)

On the bridge pickup it sounds very good. On the neck pickup it sounds jazzy as you would expect and good as well. I was going to record it but looked at the clock and saw 3:00AM and said nah.

The minis on this guitar are difficult to balance volume-wise. You find the sweet spot of height adjustment on the bridge pickup and when you adjust for the same volume level on the neck pickup (all pots at ten), the neck pickup starts to muddy up a bit. I've read this is a common problem for the LP Deluxe using minis. That said, on my test tonight with possibly my most resonant guitar (a real crisp singer when unplugged), the minis sound good. I rarely use the clean channel believing it's mostly there for decoration.

Don't know if LP Deluxes are even being made these days, but if they are then they are likely chambered and Lance could check out the tone one gets with minis maybe on YouTube or Gibson's website. Maybe Apples and Oranges but maybe not.

Very interesting thoughts there , Mark. And well thought out.

Personally I think of the minis as a brighter humbucker , but of course not quite a single coil. The chambered body would hopefully add a resonance to the tone... not like a semi-hollow, but with some of that open air inside. And mini's are used in semi's with success.

The concern would be that they sound "thin" or "weak", and I believe that the manufacturer of the pickup will play a large part in that.

For instance , probably not a problem with Lollars...Here is how he describes his minis...

"A little fatter and hotter sound than a true vintage Mini Humbucker Pickup without the extreme microphonics. Slightly brighter and tighter than a full size humbucker. Sweet played soft, snarly played hard. Wax potted. Sold individually or as balanced volume sets."

Personally I would rather dial in the right tone on the amp for a bright pickup than a dark muddy one.

But you raise some legitimate concerns.

Just my thoughts at the moment.... subject to change.

You never know until you try, it only makes sense for the HOC to get the coolest Heritage axes out there... :D

Someone should design a "HOC Model" that is only available to HOC members...when you order you have to give your dealer your HOC member number, the password and the high sign or you can't get it. :D

Archived