Heritage Owners Club

H-535 with soapbar vs H-530

nachogrande

I am considering to buy another Heritage (hollow or semi hollow) which probably will contain p90 soapbars. (Although I need some time to raise the moneyfor sure) Meanwhile, I' d like to hear your precious experiences and advices about H-535 with soapbars and H-530. Of course Phat Cats with H-535 is another option, but I have never tried those pups before. The tones I expect are warm and suitable to blues, classic rock'n roll and rockabilly while it could help to cranck the amp up when it is needed. Please enlighten me :o

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

NG

nacho,

I have PhatCats in my semi Prospect Custom. They are warm, articulate, ballsy and phat. Surprisingly (to me) they are much closer to humbuckers than they are to single coils - if one had to make a comparison. They definitely give a much more pronounced and distinct note; clearer might be a better way to describe it. Yet they dirty up quite well, while still retaining good note definite. I had gone with the PhatCats in case I wanted to swap for humbuckers. That won't happen, they're staying in the guitar. I'd say they're quite good for the music genre's you've listed. FYI, both Lollar and Fralin make their own versions of 'bucker sized P90-ish pickups. Might consider those, as well. No experience with the H530.

...I have never tried those pups before. The tones I expect are warm and suitable to blues, classic rock'n roll and rockabilly while it could help to cranck the amp up when it is needed. Please enlighten me :o

nacho, I have a 576 with Phat Cats in it, and it is a tone monster. Tim (Gitfiddler) is a fan of those p'ups, as well. Big, round, warm neck tone; fat, honky middle position; and a biting bridge which has an almost Tele character. Can't endorse those pickups strongly enough! But then.... I also have a Super Eagle with Lollar dog ear P-90's on it. Those, of course, have the same tonal characteristics, but in spades! The Lollars are really strong; they produce huge tone.

Pictorial response...... "My Precious"

What do you think I say you should go with.....

Precious.jpg

Prospect with Lollar P90s. Dog ears on a semi are cut to also accept humbuckers with minor alterations but the P90 single coils have that "Krang" and the Great Green tone but they need a great speaker and amp combination to shine. Valvetech Hayseed with an Alnico blue (AC15 EF86 & top boast vox receration) or similar would be my recommendation but a tweed 6V6 also works well. But the "normal EF86 channel is real old school and super smooth. The Prospect with a floating block would be closer to a 530 with a solid block, a little 535. post-408-1273431396_thumb.jpg

Prospect with Lollar P90s. Dog ears on a semi are cut to also accept humbuckers with minor alterations but the P90 single coils have that "Krang" and the Great Green tone but they need a great speaker and amp combination to shine. Valvetech Hayseed with an Alnico blue (AC15 EF86 & top boast vox receration) or similar would be my recommendation but a tweed 6V6 also works well. But the "normal EF86 channel is real old school and super smooth. The Prospect with a floating block would be closer to a 530 with a solid block, a little 535. post-408-1273431396_thumb.jpg

A valvetech Vac is another suitable amp for p90's add a greenback speaker and you will have a nice little grin. p90's are where its at.

To me, Phat Catsa are the way to go if you want something 'close' to P90's but still want more of a humbucker tone. Only P90's sound like P90's, but some want more variety. My 535 has Phat Cats and they growl and snarl almost like P90's, but do a clean jazz thing when called upon. Great note to note definition...and man, they love overdriven amps. You can almost see smoke coming out of the f-holes when really cranked up! Phat Cats have a tonal crankyness that I dig.

I had a 150 P90 and it didn't work for my style of playing. But for others they are perfect. All a matter of personal taste. And yes, I'd love to have a P90 semi or full hollow git. Mmmm good!

Phat Cats or P90's...Either way you can't go wrong. YMMV.

@tulk1: My Lollar p90s on 150 have also very high output and sounds like HB if I use the vol knob all the way up. So I need to take it back to eightish to hear the real p90 sounds. Phat Cats are definitely an advantage if I will ever need to install HBs. Thanks :good_mini: The Heritage distributor here does also hold Fralin brand and he just had one HB szie p90 for himself. So it is easy for me to get them anyways. But I am really in love with my Lollar pair.

@yoslate: "Super Eagle with Lollar dog ear P-90's" sounds fantastic :happy2: Thanks for the information.

@Kuz: What a gorgeous piece of guitar she is!!! Dog ear p90s look great on 535. I would stick with a chrome pair though ;)

@Spectrum13: Your Prospects does look great as well as Kuz's 535. I have custom made (Vox based) Roccaforte 2 channel amp and Randall 2x12 w/Vintage 30s. My p90 Goldtop roars through them just perfect and I am pretty sure that any of Heritage semi hollow will fit to my setup like a glove ;)

@Gitfiddler: Thanks so much for sharing your p90 and Phat Cat experiences.

This is what I have in mind as a physical appareance of my semi hollow, and a Bigsby tremolo bridge would be great as well.

8951a.jpg

pelhamblue335.jpg

@tulk1: My Lollar p90s on 150 have also very high output and sounds like HB if I use the vol knob all the way up. So I need to take it back to eightish to hear the real p90 sounds. Phat Cats are definitely an advantage if I will ever need to install HBs. Thanks :wacko: The Heritage distributor here does also hold Fralin brand and he just had one HB szie p90 for himself. So it is easy for me to get them anyways. But I am really in love with my Lollar pair.

@yoslate: "Super Eagle with Lollar dog ear P-90's" sounds fantastic :huh: Thanks for the information.

@Kuz: What a gorgeous piece of guitar she is!!! Dog ear p90s look great on 535. I would stick with a chrome pair though :D

@Spectrum13: Your Prospects does look great as well as Kuz's 535. I have custom made (Vox based) Roccaforte 2 channel amp and Randall 2x12 w/Vintage 30s. My p90 Goldtop roars through them just perfect and I am pretty sure that any of Heritage semi hollow will fit to my setup like a glove ;)

@Gitfiddler: Thanks so much for sharing your p90 and Phat Cat experiences.

This is what I have in mind as a physical appareance of my semi hollow, and a Bigsby tremolo bridge would be great as well.

8951a.jpg

pelhamblue335.jpg

Sweet!! Real Unique color!!

my first thought would be FEEBACK....the 530 i think, not having a center block may feedback more.

Yo dog, if he gets it custom he can have floating or non-floating block. We are talking Heritage, from the past but not stuck in it.

I seriously never get tired of looking at that guitar! What a beauty.

My thoughts every time I see it, too, Jazzpunk! Something cooler than cool about black dogear P-90s, but that top..... whew!!!

Yo dog, if he gets it custom he can have floating or non-floating block. We are talking Heritage, from the past but not stuck in it.

Amen Brother!

My thoughts every time I see it, too, Jazzpunk! Something cooler than cool about black dogear P-90s, but that top..... whew!!!
gallery_194_4_70111.jpg

I agree. Love the P90s

Archived