Heritage Owners Club

Day dreaming about a more 'hollow' sounding semi-hollow. What do you guys think?

Jazzpunk

Lately I've started to day dream about a custom 535. I am imagining that sweet semi hollow sustain but with a deeper body dimension (adding more 'hollow' to the semi-hollow equation).

I am not sure how much thicker the body would have to be to make an audible difference or if Heritage would even do this but the idea is very intriguing for me. In my mind it would be the ultimate blues/jazz crossover guitar but I'm not a luthier so maybe I'm off on how I'm imagining the additional body depth would add to the overall sound of the guitar.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For reference, this is the guitar that sparked the idea:

I totally dig the idea of having a 335 style jazz box like that but I think the Heritage version would have more blues power and a more soulful tone! :D

Yeah ! you go woman!

good stuff.

I was wondering once what a 335 would sound like if it were 6" deep

Heritage makes these. Basically a 535 that is 3 inches thick. There is a picture of one in an old PDF that was on their old web site. Ha, found it.

535custom.jpg

Heritage makes these. Basically a 535 that is 3 inches thick. There is a picture of one in an old PDF that was on their old web site. Ha, found it.

Oh man, you just added to my GAS big time. That is so cool!

Thank you so much for finding that. It's good to know that it is within the realm of what they do!

I was thinking something slimmer though. More along the lines of my 525 maybe.

I guess I never really understood jazz. To me, it sounds like each musican is playing a different song!

They are... and they aren't. :D

To me, that is the beauty of it. Everytime a jazz song is played by adept players (to be read as 'not me'), it is wholly unique.

Gibson made something like a super thick 335 in the past. One of my friends has one. He's also got an all Koa CS356 from Gibson. I really need to get him turned onto Heritage so more of his money goes to Kalamazoo and not to Nashville/Memphis.

535custom.jpg

I'd forgotten all about that custom 555. I, too, like the idea of a deeper/more hollow sounding semi, Jazz... think you're on to something. Ah rats - and I'd had this GAS thing finally under control. Oh thanks a LOT. (yikes, but that 555-C is one cool guitar... now there's an HOC model for ya!).

I guess I never really understood jazz. To me, it sounds like each musican is playing a different song!

You know I'm kinda with you on that. I like Dixieland, Ragtime, Swing. Be-Bob, Gypsy and some latin jazz. But modern imprvosational jazz doesnothing for me. That clip was wasn't my cup of tea.

Beat me to it.

525 or better yet the 576 with a center block like Yoslate (Rob) has.

I never try to talk anyone out of Heritage GAS, but the the REALLY can you find a guitar that sounds any better (woody hollow body tone) than the 525 you already have????!!!!!

(BTW, LOVED the youtube clip!!!)

You know I'm kinda with you on that. I like Dixieland, Ragtime, Swing. Be-Bob, Gypsy and some latin jazz. But modern imprvosational jazz doesnothing for me. That clip was wasn't my cup of tea.

Well, free jazz is a different animal, and much of that, I agree. I find it unlistenable. I remember a free jazz thing at Georgia Tech a number of years ago. It wasn't discernable as music. It sounded like they were tuning up... and doing a poor job of that.

Then... there is also the time I saw the West Georgia jazz band play and they were very good. They never lost sight of the tune even with their improv.

Beat me to it.

525 or better yet the 576 with a center block like Yoslate (Rob) has.

I never try to talk anyone out of Heritage GAS, but the the REALLY can you find a guitar that sounds any better (woody hollow body tone) than the 525 you already have????!!!!!

(BTW, LOVED the youtube clip!!!)

True, the 525 can't be topped! I think my new Groovemaster will cover similar territory as a 525 with HB's once the new Lollar's are installed. :D

I'd love the additional upper fret access and increased sustain of a 535 but with some additional 'hollowness'. At least it seems like a good idea in my imagination lol.

Oh man, my list of friends here is dwindling rapidly!

:D

True, the 525 can't be topped! I think my new Groovemaster will cover similar territory as a 525 with HB's once the new Lollar's are installed. :D

I'd love the additional upper fret access and increased sustain of a 535 but with some additional 'hollowness'. At least it seems like a good idea in my imagination lol.

What about the floating block like on a Prospect?

Makes it more alive me thinks.

Well, free jazz is a different animal, and much of that, I agree. I find it unlistenable.

Didn't Spinal Tap do free jazz titled Jazz Odessey in front of a sold out festival crowd when Nigel left?

What is a floating block exactly?

Like a semi where the block meets the top but the back has about an inch of space. So it's not two hollow wings connected to a solid center.

HAHA! Just for that..TAKE THIS!

I had to stop at about 40 seconds. Look at us, we have chops and have absolutely no clue what to do with them. Just plain ugly music imho. Sounds like some of the kids in my jazz improv class I took all those years ago. Damn, I hated that class.

Now, I will say the opportunity to see Joe Pass live is one I will never, ever, forget. Man that guy could play. It was at a dinner club/bar. It seemed like my buddy and I were the only ones who showed up just to see Joe. Everybody else was there to eat and drink and Joe was just background music to them. He was frickin' amazing. As people would come and go, he'd tip the guitar there way and play a little "hello" or "goodbye" without missing a beat. At one point a waitress dropped a big tray of glasses. There was a horrible CRASH!!! Joe, without missing a beat, just raised his eyebrows and played it on guitar - un-fu@#ing believable!!!

Archived