Heritage Owners Club

Day dreaming about a more 'hollow' sounding semi-hollow. What do you guys think?

Jazzpunk

I had to stop at about 40 seconds. Look at us, we have chops and have absolutely no clue what to do with them. Just plain ugly music imho. Sounds like some of the kids in my jazz improv class I took all those years ago. Damn, I hated that class.

Well, at least we have Heritage guitars in common lol.

The great thing about music and art is that beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, at least we have Heritage guitars in common lol.

The great thing about music and art is that beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

I dunno. Part of me is jealous, but the other part is grateful I cant play that fast.

Ok, this is probably really pushing it but I wonder if Heritage would do custom horns on the 535 similar to the ones on the Millenium DC for increased upper fret access? Pushing my luck?! :o

millenniumdc_v.jpg

Or maybe it's a custom Millennium DC with a 16" body width that I really want? Hmmm...

Ok, this is probably really pushing it but I wonder if Heritage would do custom horns on the 535 similar to the ones on the Millenium DC for increased upper fret access? Pushing my luck?! :o

millenniumdc_v.jpg

Or maybe it's a custom Millennium DC with a 16" body width that I really want? Hmmm...

Never hurts to ask!

I guess I never really understood jazz. To me, it sounds like each musican is playing a different song!

I'm a big fan of jazz (well not "big" I like it but my repertoire is shockingly narrow) but I HATE jazz guitar....most awful borign sound in the world to these ears. NONE of the vibrancy of brass and way too middle of the road. I want my jazz to have a little OOMPH and adventure!

I'm a big fan of jazz (well not "big" I like it but my repertoire is shockingly narrow) but I HATE jazz guitar....most awful borign sound in the world to these ears. NONE of the vibrancy of brass and way too middle of the road. I want my jazz to have a little OOMPH and adventure!

Scofield?

A great way to make friends is to go on somebody's thread and crap on it with unsolicited opinions about the kind of music they like lol.

Very classy folks! ^_^

the dude in merry olde england is not shy about making brash posts. he's on other forums, too.

what about true hollow--h530? lose the p90s in favor of some 'buckers and maybe ya got sumfin!

I've got a couple of 535s, one with SD 59s and the other with SD P-Rails. I find the 59 equipped one to have a fat and punchy tone while the P-Rails in P-90 or single coil mode have a much more "hollow" tone. I notice you have a fully hollow 525 with P-90s, I would have thought that would be ideal for the tone you are looking for ? Haven't played a 525 myself so I don't know how one would compare to a 535.

Well I mocked it up and photo shop and it looked silly so scratch that lol.

I love the horns on this design but I know better than to ask them to copy another builder! ;)

img_QF2.jpg

JP, perhaps you would like an Hofner Verythin?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...WELAID=26041591

Lately I've started to day dream about a custom 535. I am imagining that sweet semi hollow sustain but with a deeper body dimension (adding more 'hollow' to the semi-hollow equation).

I am not sure how much thicker the body would have to be to make an audible difference or if Heritage would even do this but the idea is very intriguing for me. In my mind it would be the ultimate blues/jazz crossover guitar but I'm not a luthier so maybe I'm off on how I'm imagining the additional body depth would add to the overall sound of the guitar.

What do you guys think?

I have a H-555 with HRWs and recently got a H-530 with P90s. I find

myself playing the 530 more and more. Has a very nice and unique sound

you might be looking for.

I notice you have a fully hollow 525 with P-90s, I would have thought that would be ideal for the tone you are looking for ? Haven't played a 525 myself so I don't know how one would compare to a 535.

I absolutely love my 525 but I'm looking for something with increased sustain and upper fret access. Different tools for different jobs!

Lately I've started to day dream about a custom 535. I am imagining that sweet semi hollow sustain but with a deeper body dimension (adding more 'hollow' to the semi-hollow equation).

I am not sure how much thicker the body would have to be to make an audible difference or if Heritage would even do this but the idea is very intriguing for me. In my mind it would be the ultimate blues/jazz crossover guitar but I'm not a luthier so maybe I'm off on how I'm imagining the additional body depth would add to the overall sound of the guitar.

What do you guys think?

I've actually been thinking about pretty much the same thing! In my mind's ear, it would be closer in tone to a fully hollow, but not quite as punchy as a semi 535. Good thought I think . . . I'm already getting all worked up for a 535, but your idea might be more what I really want!

You guys and your frickin' contagious GAS bullcrap!! You're gonna ruin me! :D:occasion14:

I've actually been thinking about pretty much the same thing! In my mind's ear, it would be closer in tone to a fully hollow, but not quite as punchy as a semi 535. Good thought I think . . . I'm already getting all worked up for a 535, but your idea might be more what I really want!

You guys and your frickin' contagious GAS bullcrap!! You're gonna ruin me! ;):P

A beefier 535 sure would be cool but as you can hear from these clips, even the 'standard' 535 holds it own quite nicely in the jazz arena!

Rodney Jones

Do not try and resist the GAS. Resistance is futile! :icon_thumleft:

• 1 year later...
Guest HRB853370

What do you guys think?

I don't think the added depth would make a noticeable difference in the sound, all other things equal. I had a 550 for a while and it sounded much more acoustic than my 535, because it was a hollow body electric.

I don't think the added depth would make a noticeable difference in the sound, all other things equal. I had a 550 for a while and it sounded much more acoustic than my 535, because it was a hollow body electric.

It's also because the 550 has a 17" body with a 3" depth! In this case size does matter :)

But yes, the lack of a center block attributes to the more acoustic sound.

This is a good resolution for your lust, guys. It's a true H530 with humbuckers.

It does not disappoint. But it will be in the hands of another HOC brother this weekend.

L1000944.jpg?t=1311722654

Beautiful guitar Marty. I really enjoy my ES 330 though it has P90's not humbuckers.

The new 'fat body' 555 that spawned the rebirth of this thread is much closer to what I had in mind though. Can't wait to hear a demo!

Oh and congrats to the new owner. He's gettin' a fine guitar!

I happened upon some clips of Van Ruller playing an ES-150 long after this thread had vanished into the ether:

Can't tell from the pic if that new 555 has an equivalent body depth but I bet it sounds fantastic!

This is a good resolution for your lust, guys. It's a true H530 with humbuckers.

It does not disappoint. But it will be in the hands of another HOC brother this weekend.

L1000944.jpg?t=1311722654L1000953.jpg?t=1311722708L1000955.jpg?t=1311722753L1000950.jpg?t=1311722795L1000948.jpg?t=1311722838

DUDE, can you at least TELL US when your beautiful guitars are for sale. How many times have I cried Dibbs and never get a heads up that they are on the market???!!!!!

Archived