Heritage Owners Club

1996 1996 Heritage Johnny Smith in Trans Red. Beautiful or ugly?

SteveHoffman

I sort of love this color. It's dead mint and not much money (for this type of Heritage guitar) and it's been on my mind recently but my wife thinks the color is just dreadful. I sort of dig it. It certainly would stand out in a crowd.

What do you think? Beautiful or doggie?

Sorry for the goof in the thread heading. Can't figure out how to fix it.

post-2038-1277791631_thumb.jpg

post-2038-1277791643_thumb.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mgoetting

I like it.

Often a good guitar that's finish doesn't fit your taste starts to grow on you.

Also, when I'm playing all I see are the fretboard, the side of the neck and the strings. The finish is not in my focus.

But I like red anyway. It's bold for a Johnny Smith. More like a Brian Setzer axe.

The hesitancy I've had with that pup is that the poles aren't adjustable. That's not a problem if you're using the right strings. It might be an issue if you find that it likes a wound G and you don't. Usually not a problem.

I like it for it's simplicity. Just oozes class. But I have to mention, my wife would say "fine, but you can't play it in the living room". No orange or red guitars or amps allowed out of the music room. B)

I think the guitar is pretty cool looking, but, as mgoetting says, it doesn't look like a traditional jazz guitar. I think you just have to ask yourself: will the color make me hesitate to take the guitar out to play? I know cosmetics are not suppose to matter, and, if you are buying the guitar to play at home, then maybe the color doesn't matter. However, I think there is a certain security in having an instrument that fits the vibe of the gig. Would you take a bright red guitar to a local jazz jam?

As a gym rat in my youth, I remember when everyone wore Chuck Taylors, and they were either black or white. If someone walked into the gym with green, or red, or, heaven forbid, pink CT's, cat BETTER be able to play. Sometimes you want to draw attention to yourself, sometimes not.

I just went through this ... one of the few guitars I'm still searching for is a small-bodied maple acoustic. I had a chance to buy a special edition Martin maple OMC that was exactly the guitar I want, but it was in Seafoam Green. I really struggled with the decision, but finally admitted that I just wouldn't take the guitar to the sort of gig that I wanted this type of instrument for, so I passed. For me, that was the right the decision.

When I was looking for a 535, I was going over Wolfe's inventory, and he had a couple of orange ones. They are really pretty, but I thought I'd better be a lot more secure with my playing before I whip out one of those. When I see a guy take out a smokin' guit, I sit back and expect the man to do it justice. So I bought an equally beautiful, if a bit more understated, Chestnut burst. It get's plenty of attention without screaming "look at me". I think he's still got one of those orange beauties. There's a guy in a local band that plays this big old orange Gretsch, with gold hardware and Bigsby; he does it justice. What does Brent say, "a few hundred more lessons" and maybe I'll be confident enough to take out that Orange Hussy!

I like it for it's simplicity. Just oozes class. But I have to mention, my wife would say "fine, but you can't play it in the living room". No orange or red guitars or amps allowed out of the music room. B)

Just point out the rose on the finger rest.

There is NO DOUBT that it is a beautiful instrument.... quite awesome...

That said ... if there were two and the other in a different finish, I can't guarantee that this would be the one that I would pick...but maybe...

It is a beauty for sure.

OK, so you really dig that RED Johnny Smith, right? So much so, that you've asked your wife about it. You've also checked in with your friends here at the HOC. In your original post, you even comment about the price being "...not much money...". Obviously you want that gitfiddle!

It has been for sale for quite a while. I bet you could negotiate the price down a bit. That is a very unique instrument, made for someone who wants something...different, but beautiful and classy. I like it much more than the Pink/Salmon colored JS's. My personal favorite is the Antique Natural finish on that model. But AN will cost you much more than Trans Red. Same tone, class, unique instrument...that is no longer being made!

If you are concerned about being too flashy, then don't take it out for live playing. I wouldn't take ANY Johnny Smith out to a gig.

Finally, since you've asked the Heritage enablers here at the HOC for help I'll tease you to the next level, here's one of my favorite guitarists playing another Trans Red git. OK, it's a custom painted Ibanez GB200TR (Trans Red) made as a one-off for Mr. Benson. But you get the idea. B)

266034980_o.jpg

Hey guys,

Brent knows my last Heritage investment purchase...A Golden Eagle in Trans Cherry with HRW..It is one of the most beautiful of my 6 Heritages, and different enough that when I use it in concert even the service help come up to the stage to gawk at it..So there you go..Different can be really exciting, and i love it because it looks like the old George Gobel L5t that my friend Andy Nelson desogned...If I didn't have enough guitars already (yeah right) I would go for it...

Obviously you want that gitfiddle!

It is an opportunity to grab a rare, ultra-premium grade Heritage... that you really like... at a great price , most likely...

It's doubtful that once you have that one in your possession.. that you'd ever be sorry that you took the plunge.. B)

Looks pretty sharp to me man!

+1 on that..Same color as my H-137..Better brush up on your jazz chords!! B)

I sort of love this color. It's dead mint and not much money (for this type of Heritage guitar) and it's been on my mind recently but my wife thinks the color is just dreadful. I sort of dig it. It certainly would stand out in a crowd.

What do you think? Beautiful or doggie?

Sorry for the goof in the thread heading. Can't figure out how to fix it.

I'd buy that in a heart beat. Beauty

Beautiful guitar. Besides, you'll be able to say things like, "I'll be bringin' Ol' Red to the gig tonight." Sounds better than, "I'll be bringin' Ol' Burnt Umber to the gig tonight."

Seriously though, nothing wrong with a red guitar.

rooster.

Archived