Heritage Owners Club

1996 1996 Heritage Johnny Smith in Trans Red. Beautiful or ugly?

SteveHoffman

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmm.. who is bringing the Johnny Smith..?

I know, but I can't tell.... ya da, ya da..... :D

Sorry, but sworn to not tell.

I know, but I can't tell.... ya da, ya da..... :D

Sorry, but sworn to not tell.

:D

You do like to keep things mysterious , John.. You know why I was asking .. mystery guest and all. :P We need more clues..

Oh , sorry , temporary hijack there. :D

Great buy ! Anyone who ever sees that guitar will never forget it ! How does it sound ?

Tal

It's dead mint and not much money

While that is not a color I would pick right off the bat if given other choices, the above quote holds a lot of weight for me (I love a good deal). I came across a 157 used at a good price some months ago. It was in transblack, a color that I never really considered a favorite Heritage finish of mine. It has grown on me and I now love it. That red does have a cool rock a billy / retro look to it.

great looking guitar and it is good to have something different. there are no end of sunbursts and naturals, but you have something others do not in its uniqueness.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Translucent Cherry Heritage Johnny Smith "Rose" today and it's pretty stunning in person. After I brainwashed my wife into liking the color I've found she really does like it. When the light shines on it the wood grain diffuses the red and turns it a nice woody shade. Quite impressive. Have not played it yet (waiting for it to acclimate to So. Calif.) but the little Rose on the pick-guard is quite unique and I don't think I've ever seen another, not even in a picture.

At any rate, thanks for your thoughts and advice on this. I love a good deal and this wuz one!

I got the Trans Red Johnny Smith "Rose" today and it's pretty stunning in person. After I brainwashed my wife into liking the color I've found she really does like it. When the light shines on it the wood grain diffuses the red and turns it a nice woody shade. Quite impressive. Have not played it yet (waiting for it to acclimate to So. Calif.) but the little Rose on the pick-guard is quite unique and I don't think I've ever seen another, not even in a picture.

At any rate, thanks for your thoughts and advice on this. I love a good deal and this wuz one!

"Acclimate to So. Calif.???" ;) Is it very hot or something? Up here in Minnesota, in winter, you do need to be careful but surely you have a better climate in your neck of the woods? Anyway, I do hope you are impressed by it once you dare to give it a strum. Like you, I've never seen a rose on the pickguard, and I'll bet it's a work of art! Cheers...

I always let a guitar sit in the case for 24 hours after being on the hot UPS truck. Call it a good luck charm or whatever but I've never had a finish crack...

Obviously this Johnny Smith was a special order guitar. I'm always curious as to who would order such a unique guitar and then never, ever play it (or maybe even pick it up). The Gold hardware, the special color, the special pick-guard, etc. These things were paid for by someone. Guess I'll never find out who or why. Nonetheless, it's a beauty.

Hope I can find a Super Eagle next (and for the same price, heh).

I always let a guitar sit in the case for 24 hours after being on the hot UPS truck. Call it a good luck charm or whatever but I've never had a finish crack...

Obviously this Johnny Smith was a special order guitar. I'm always curious as to who would order such a unique guitar and then never, ever play it (or maybe even pick it up). The Gold hardware, the special color, the special pick-guard, etc. These things were paid for by someone. Guess I'll never find out who or why. Nonetheless, it's a beauty.

Hope I can find a Super Eagle next (and for the same price, heh).

Did I hear someone say Super Eagle? ;)

Super%20Eagle%20Red.jpg

• 1 year later...

I'm still loving this guitar, glad I got it. Hadn't realized ol' Johnny Smith signed it on the label. One of my favorite guitar players of all time.

Yup ... I remember suggesting red might not be a comfortable color for a jazz guitar. I'm very glad that bit of advice was completely wrong in your case, and to hear that you are enjoying the guitar. Got a red Heritage on the way myself...

red works for Brian Setzer..

BTW, I have a Millie H155 in red, LOVE it...

Johnny Smith in any color is beautiful

That is true. I blundered into Norm's Rare Guitars back in like 1992 and a guy was playing (on an old LP) "Moonlight In Vermont". I loved it, took a look at who it was, and have been a Johnny Smith fan ever since. Discovering that he wrote "Walk Don't Run" after that was only icing on the cake.

Congratulations on a beautiful guitar.

I love that rose on the pick guard.

I almost customized the pick guard on one of my guitars with a rose years ago... much better to have it done by factory professionals though... glad I reconsidered.

If I had a spare pick guard for my ovation I probably would have done it. I had planned on blocking in a rose where Viper is on my pick guard and carving it out with a dremel tool then painting the insides with some type of red enamel.

post-1137-0-22175100-1337099107_thumb.jpg

post-1137-0-25562000-1337098594_thumb.jpg

I remember anguishing about that red beauty.

While I don't know Johnny personally, I don't think he'd be comfortable with such an audacious guitar. But I would.

Ren Wall told me the upcharge for that pickguard was $500. He has a blonde JS that's a "double rose" that he's selling.

Guest HRB853370

Yup ... I remember suggesting red might not be a comfortable color for a jazz guitar. I'm very glad that bit of advice was completely wrong in your case, and to hear that you are enjoying the guitar. Got a red Heritage on the way myself...

I have a trans red 535. Spill the beanz Larry, whats on the way?

Archived