Heritage Owners Club

What is the best home amp you ever owned or have.

JWALKER

Ooops . . . I have to clarify. I don't *own* the Bassman, just demo'd it at Guitar Center. What I do have is a 5 watt Ephiphone Half Stack Jr (EL 84 and 12AX7 tubes). That one does great with my strat, but the jury's out on the H 150 - I'm still experimenting. Also have a 5 watt Fender Champ, 600 - that has a 6V6 tube and a 12ax7. Both guitars sound great in that. I'm very intrigued with Thundersteel's Carr. Well, as for surroundings, I'm a single female, living alone in my condo in a multi-unit building with other residential buildings close by in - the space between me and other buildings is not much, but not super close, either - but we're close enough that we can see into each other's homes. I might crank it up a bit on Saturdays just to hear the natural tube distortion. The Epi at 5 watts is pretty loud. No one's complained so far. I do also have a little garage band that I rehearse with on Saturdays (we rent rehearsal space at Jamspot) - those rehearsal spaces come complete w/amps - they're fender deluxe reverbs. Someday, once I do my research, would like to get 22-30 watt amp - just something big enough to play small venues.

Your 10w Chihuhua sounds intriguing - will have to demo one some time.

Okay, sorry I misunderstood. Bassman are great amps, but man they can tear down a wall, same with the Supersonics. Great for gigs, but for my house at least, way too much to get the tubes cookin. The Chihuahua fit right into what I've been searching for, a small blackface 6L6 single ended Class A amp. I just got it and have only touched its abilities, but so far I'm very happy with it. Trying it out may be a challenge. They're hand built in Kentucky south of Cincinatti and don't have retail points to my knowledge. I'd run out of steam searching for an amp and was willing to take a leap of faith. So far so good though. I haven't been able to open it up yet, but I suspect it could fit in with playing small venues if you watch the mix.

I also have a Rivera Clubster 25 watt that is similar to the DR. I love that amp. Great 6V6 tones and 2 channels. The dirty channel has a boost that can get gritty at reasonable levels or it can fit into playing with a band when you want pretty easily.

Searching for amps can be a great time so have fun with it. Enjoy!

Home use: Roland MicroCube. Great tone. Cheap. Light.

If you want a bit more power and larger speaker, then they have the Roland Cube 15 and Cube 30.

Capable of pretty well any style of play with VERY believable sounds.

Like the Carr's, the Hughes and Kettner amps are something I have not heard of , but they are very very appealing. So, thanks for the recommendations. I am really intrigued by the Hughes and Kettner Switchblade series, especially the 50, but I really wish they made a Switchblade 30. As, I think the fifty may blast me out of my house. I am wondering if the Switchblade series is as good at low volumes as the 20 year Anniversary model you mentioned? At any rate, they seem to be great amps.

Like the Carr's, the Hughes and Kettner amps are something I have not heard of , but they are very very appealing. So, thanks for the recommendations. I am really intrigued by the Hughes and Kettner Switchblade series, especially the 50, but I really wish they made a Switchblade 30. As, I think the fifty may blast me out of my house. I am wondering if the Switchblade series is as good at low volumes as the 20 year Anniversary model you mentioned? At any rate, they seem to be great amps.

A 30w amp can blast you out of your house as easily as a 50w amp can. Decibel for decibel, nearly indistinguishable to the human ear.

Tulk- Agreed. 30watts is best for club playing. I would say that 20w H&K I have is almost loud enough for club playing but falls a little short at times depending on the drummer.

The key with any amp is the pre-amp section imo. If it hits your tubes right or gets you a good FULL drive sound at lower volumes it's a good home amp. Counting on the power section for your over drive just won't happen at low volumes.

I have a Hughes & Kettner Tube 20, pretty much the same amp as the 20th edition Mikenov has, Tube 20 is it's predecessor. That amp has a built in attenuator, and yes, it does great tones in both channels at low volumes. I stuck all vintage tubes in mine, as well as an ancient alnico speaker with a huge horse shoe magnet, forgot what brand the 137 EIA code was for, think maybe Eminence? The original Celestion rockdriver sounded well, less than wonderful. Amp has adjustable bias, used a dual el84 socket bias tool to set mine up. Excellent small room amp with fat tones. Great sustain on the lead channel as set up, very creamy and smooth.

I recently purchased a Blues Junior NOS and am very happy with it for

a small area. I'm just a play at homer.

Guest mgoetting

Roland Cube 80x

I know others sound better. For the money this has huge diversity in sounds and effects. I haven't even fully mastered the clean channel yet.

Today I plugged in the footswitch and did some looping. Easy and works well. You can't erase a single layer though. You power down to start over.

I recently heard the Carr Rambler, and it is nice.

At this stage in my career, a better amplifier than the Roland would be wasted on me.

I know this is a bit out of the box but I recently bought a 5e3 kit from the tube depot. I've never built an amp before but was intrigued with the process and the reviews made me feel confident I could do it. I followed the directions step by step and they answered questions when I called. It turned out to be one of the coolest little amps I've played. I took it to a blues jam and guys were all over it. If you are the type that this could work for, I don't think you would be disappointed. Google tube depot and check it out under the kit section.

Again I know not everyone is the "build your own amp" type but I love it and would do it again.

It is around 18 watts and came with a 12" Jensen speaker.

Good luck!

I know this is a bit out of the box but I recently bought a 5e3 kit from the tube depot. I've never built an amp before but was intrigued with the process and the reviews made me feel confident I could do it. I followed the directions step by step and they answered questions when I called. It turned out to be one of the coolest little amps I've played. I took it to a blues jam and guys were all over it. If you are the type that this could work for, I don't think you would be disappointed. Google tube depot and check it out under the kit section.

Again I know not everyone is the "build your own amp" type but I love it and would do it again.

It is around 18 watts and came with a 12" Jensen speaker.

Good luck!

We have a couple of builders in the HOC. And lots of love for the 5E3. I am not one of the builders, so I had to have mine built for me. I used the Weber kit because it was on sale. ;) Makes a decent home amp. What you need, tho', is a real honest to goodness '50s Jensen speaker for that puppy. ;) Just ask Kuz about that.

man, if I were starting from scratch these days I don't know what I'd choose for a home amp...there are so many choices out there these days. really a boom for gtr players...remember back when you could count the number of decent amp makers with one hand?

for home I'd get a 1x12 combo, with reverb...and I guess you'd need a preamp/master vol of some sort, unless you use pedals

my current amp like that is a Garnet Jammer...2x6L6 power amp, with a 2 cascading channels you can jumper if you need raunch at low volumes...all tube, handwired. built sometime in the '70's

if I had to get a new amp it'd be an AC30 CC1 ( 1x12 version of AC30 )...trem & verb, better cleans than a fender IMO, and great master volume/distortion when you need it. it really nails the late '60's-70's rock tones

I have an AC30 CC2 but it IS a heavy mofo to drag around...thus the CC1 choice...the cabinetry is solid, well made, and durable.

I have a Hughes & Kettner Tube 20, pretty much the same amp as the 20th edition Mikenov has, Tube 20 is it's predecessor. That amp has a built in attenuator, and yes, it does great tones in both channels at low volumes. I stuck all vintage tubes in mine, as well as an ancient alnico speaker with a huge horse shoe magnet, forgot what brand the 137 EIA code was for, think maybe Eminence? The original Celestion rockdriver sounded well, less than wonderful. Amp has adjustable bias, used a dual el84 socket bias tool to set mine up. Excellent small room amp with fat tones. Great sustain on the lead channel as set up, very creamy and smooth.

Hmm . . your H&K sounds very intriquing - does it sound anything like a Bassman?

Hmm . . your H&K sounds very intriquing - does it sound anything like a Bassman?

No, I would not categorize its sound as a Bassman, it is meant to sound more british (think Marshall 18 watt) in tone. It uses el84's, bassman was 6l6's. With that said, the way i have set it up speaker and tube wise, it is very fat and warm sounding. There was a problem with it on the dirty channel, my amp tech fixed it, and that improved the sound of the lead channel as a byproduct, more full in low end and lower mids. I do not think that the amp sounded nearly as good with the stock speaker and tubes. I'm running vintage tubes in the preamp, think Raytheon black plate and GE longplate 12ax7, power tubes are well used Sylvania blackplate. The old Eminence is a very well used 40-50 year old speaker. They are uncommon, but can sometimes be found on ebay. I think that a vintage magnavox p232 alnico similar to the Jensen p12n would sound wonderful and noticeably brighter. There is enough leeway in the tone stack to get the tones where I like. The best part about this amp is that unlike a Blues Jr. it can get lots of distortion at low volumes, in contrast the BJ has to be cranked up MUCH louder to give up the goods, and it also sounds thinner overall and nasty bright on top in comparison.

You should be able to find one every now and then on eBay for less than 450 bucks, the newest version of that amp goes for over a grand! Please remember that I changed out tubes and speaker to get the wonderful tones I am getting out of it.

Ok, I have a great guitar ordered, the 555, so now I need a really good amp recommendation. I will only be using the amp for home use. My favorite music is Jazz, but I like pretty much any instrumental music, and for that matter, most other genres of music as well. I currently have a Vox VT-30 and a Vox DA-5, with no effect pedals.

What foot pedals are essential, if any. I have been told, that it is much better to get a single foot pedal than a multi-effect pedal, but I really do not have a great deal of space for a large array of single petals. I would love to hear what everyone is using amp wise and effect wise at home. As always, thanks for the help.

Hi JWalker,

I love the sound of my '63 Fender Deluxe.This was the model amp that Wes Montgomery used in the Creed Taylor studio.It was their studio amp.Simple volume & tone,1 x 12" speaker,about 18 watts. Great for home,great for studio,great for low volume jazz & lounge gigs. The only addition I use is a Digitech digital reverb,or a spring reverb in bought years ago. If you like the Ventures,then a Strat or Jazzmaster sounds great. Blues ? Turn it up & hear it sing.A superb little amp.Can't afford one ? Don't worry.Fender still do the great sounding Deluxe Reverb.No need for the Digi pedal !

post-1702-1281104016_thumb.jpg

post-1702-1281104054_thumb.jpg

Update, I have the HK Edition Tube 25 which I got on E-bay. I had bid on it, and I did not think I would get it, but did. You were right, it is a great amp and seems to be built like a tank. I am still feeling it out, and taking it through it's paces. It came shipped to me from fed-ex, and in excellent condition. In the amp search, I really fell in love with the Fender amp sound, especially the little 65 Princeton Reverb, what a tone! I played around on a Peavey Classic 30, and I liked it, but man, that Princeton just seemed so sweet. I also played on several bigger Fender amps, and I really like these, but they were just too much of an amp for the home use setting I am after.

The HK has everything that the Peavey classic 30 has with the exception of the lower wattage, which I did not need any way. Back to the Fender, I also really like the Blues Jr., very nice for a reasonable price. I really liked the BJ with the upgraded speaker, but even the stock BJ was very nice, to me any way. All of this searching is a gas, but kind of daunting also. So many choices, so little money. But that Princeton!!!

Any way, thanks to everyone for their help.

Update, I have the HK Edition Tube 25 which I got on E-bay. I had bid on it, and I did not think I would get it, but did. You were right, it is a great amp and seems to be built like a tank. I am still feeling it out, and taking it through it's paces. It came shipped to me from fed-ex, and in excellent condition. In the amp search, I really fell in love with the Fender amp sound, especially the little 65 Princeton Reverb, what a tone! I played around on a Peavey Classic 30, and I liked it, but man, that Princeton just seemed so sweet. I also played on several bigger Fender amps, and I really like these, but they were just too much of an amp for the home use setting I am after.

The HK has everything that the Peavey classic 30 has with the exception of the lower wattage, which I did not need any way. Back to the Fender, I also really like the Blues Jr., very nice for a reasonable price. I really liked the BJ with the upgraded speaker, but even the stock BJ was very nice, to me any way. All of this searching is a gas, but kind of daunting also. So many choices, so little money. But that Princeton!!!

Any way, thanks to everyone for their help.

Glad you are happy, and yes, the 1965 Fender Princeton Reverb is wonderful sounding! I think I saw your amp, I did a search for completed listings on ebay, it's a 25th anneversary Edition Tube 20 watter with the Celestion 100 watt speaker in a closed back cab, right? That should deliver a very nice, girthy tone at lower volumes for home use, hope I'm right! Great looking amp! Better speaker than the POS Ceslestion rockdriver that came in mine by far! YAY!

Hi JWalker,

I love the sound of my '63 Fender Deluxe.This was the model amp that Wes Montgomery used in the Creed Taylor studio.It was their studio amp.Simple volume & tone,1 x 12" speaker,about 18 watts. Great for home,great for studio,great for low volume jazz & lounge gigs. The only addition I use is a Digitech digital reverb,or a spring reverb in bought years ago. If you like the Ventures,then a Strat or Jazzmaster sounds great. Blues ? Turn it up & hear it sing.A superb little amp.Can't afford one ? Don't worry.Fender still do the great sounding Deluxe Reverb.No need for the Digi pedal !

Speaking of Wes Montgomery-Incredible Jazz Guitar, what a great record, or for us younger kids, cd. Regarding the amps mentioned, I will be looking intently at the Fender Deluxe Reverb, especially if I can find a great deal on one. I traded back in the little Vox VT-30, when I knew I had the Hughes and Kettner, but I am hooked on the Fender tone. As mentioned, I really like the Princeton Reverb also. I loved the sound, and the smallness of size of this amp, while still being a giant in tone. The Deluxe Reverb will be next on my wish list, as I have a Princeton Reverb on the way to me. I played around on the Fender Deluxe, and it was indeed a great sounding amp, a little big in size also.

Glad you are happy, and yes, the 1965 Fender Princeton Reverb is wonderful sounding! I think I saw your amp, I did a search for completed listings on ebay, it's a 25th anneversary Edition Tube 20 watter with the Celestion 100 watt speaker in a closed back cab, right? That should deliver a very nice, girthy tone at lower volumes for home use, hope I'm right! Great looking amp! Better speaker than the POS Ceslestion rockdriver that came in mine by far! YAY!

Exactly right, it is 25 Anniversary Edition with the closed back, except for the small ventilation space on the bottom. Again I have to thank you, as I am really loving this amp. It is very unlikely that I would have found this amp without your recommendation of it, so I salute you. Earlier today, I found a limited edition Princeton Reverb at a good price on Ebay, and I got it also. I have got to stop looking on Ebay, or I could soon be the only homeless guy around with some really killer music gear.

Archived