Heritage Owners Club

In praise of the H170

MartyGrass

The H170 is the ugly stepsister of the Les Paul. But it really is in some ways a better design.

The double cutaway facilitates higher fret access a little. And it definitely reduces the overall weight of the guitar. These are two irrefutable benefits.

My belief is that Gibson felt that a double cutaway would be too radical of a design to sell in the early 1950s. They were probably correct, too. The early Fenders didn't take off that well.

A decade later the double cutaway was the best selling Gibson solid body and, in fact, the best selling solid bodies of all major manufacturers.

The Les Paul design was brought out of mouth balls later in the 60s to meet customer demand spurred by loud rock. There were claims that the single cutaway somehow positively affected tone. And I admit that this could be true.

But consider this. Some of the best guitarists of the era rejected the LP for their greatest body of work.

We can all list our favorites of the 60s. If I had to list the top two in terms of changing history they would be Hendrix and Clapton. Not a lot of LP there.

To summarize, the H170 is generally lighter with better high fret access. The H150 may have some tonal advantage.

And I will concede that the clear advantage of the H150 is that it looks better.

My shameless pix.

VSBquilt.pnggallery_2472_317_214201_zps4d5b5946.jpg

I asked Fred to pick out the prettiest and bestest guitar he's ever seen. No hesitation.

gallery_139_351_10964_zps980121f4.jpg

I found that hard to believe. So I asked Jack the same question.

gallery_139_351_73634_zpsd8ebe964.jpg

Well, there you have it.

While I can appreciate the functionality of the 170, I rather dislike the shape. I really prefer the design of the LP Jr DC over the 170 or 137DC. Now the 110 is rather interesting from a DC point of view, but again, I like the curve of the horns on the LP Jr DC over what Heritage has designed, thus my inclination to avoid them...

I have no problem with the 170. But you can have just so many humbucker solid bodies. If I did not already have two PRS guitars, I would probably have a 170.

BUT, Mark is that your 150 in the picture? I don't remember seeing you post that guitar before?.....

Music and guitars: one of the few areas of life where whims and prejudices can be openly expressed and practiced without consequence. Freedom baby!

Anyway, the right guitar isn't always a matter of most efficient or effective design. Did I say that already?

In any case, very cool guitar!

Got to say that I'm not a fan of the dual cutaway that Heritage uses on that guitar. To me, it looks as if they didn't put a lot of thought into aesthetics. Purpose and use, yes. But I would venture to offer that more "pretty" guitars (shapes included) are sold than ug not so pretty guitars. By pretty I mean pleasing lines more so than say tops or paints or flames, etc.

I have no problem with the 170. But you can have just so many humbucker solid bodies. If I did not already have two PRS guitars, I would probably have a 170.

BUT, Mark is that your 150 in the picture? I don't remember seeing you post that guitar before?.....

The H150 got away. It was in an auction in Texas. I underbid but didn't understand well how that auction works. Still don't.

My particular H170 is chambered or weight relieved. The Heritage dealer who sold it to me via the Internet didn't even know that. But I found it to be a good thing.

Also, the neck is a '59 carve. It's not for the faint of heart.

When the snow melts (IF it ever melts), I'll take some better pix.

While I can appreciate the functionality of the 170, I rather dislike the shape. I really prefer the design of the LP Jr DC over the 170 or 137DC. Now the 110 is rather interesting from a DC point of view, but again, I like the curve of the horns on the LP Jr DC over what Heritage has designed, thus my inclination to avoid them...

Pretty much sums up my opinion

Pretty much sums up my opinion

When you are playing a 170, you can't really see it that well, at least not like the photos I posted. From the side, it looks great.

It's kinda like your face. It's great only because you don't have to look at it all day long.

Guys:

I had a 170 and found that it wasn't to my liking for a couple of reasons (maybe more than a couple):

1. It was neck diver. Even with the positioning of the strap button, the guitar wanted to neck dive.

2. The neck itself was the size of a small Louisville Slugger. I felt the neck was oversized, thus adding to the neck dive and chunky feel.

3. Like the SG, I always worried that it would be weak at the neck joint since it was so exposed.

4. The one I had and sold (bought from a pawn shop and turned quickly) didn't sound very good. It was kind of a sonic dud.

Bought it cheap. Sold it and made a couple of bucks and have NEVER missed that guitar.

Just my 2 cents. Glad others have better things to say about the model.

Stringman

There are other ways to reduce weight and gain better upper fret access. Contoured heals and neck through and super long tennens like Rob's new builder or CP Thornton designs or the combo telecaster Lp of some builders like a Carolina.

Archived