Heritage Owners Club

Black H157 now out of rehab

MartyGrass

Pete Moreno called me to pick up my evil guitar. He has replaced the pups with two PAFs and a Phat Cat. This was not easy. The pup rings are solid ebony. It took him two hours to route out the bezels so they fit the new pups.

Both humbucker volume controls are push-pull for splitting. The middle pup has a push-pull to kill it.

I'll pick it up after work, which will be late, and provide the "after" photos.

Here are the familiar "before" shots.

heritage004-1.jpg?t=1295987260heritage003-1.jpg?t=1295987297

Lovely, lovely, lovely ebony board!

'RS' 'SS'? What does that mean on the 'poker chip'?

I notice you've got the tailpiece top-wrapped - what does that do? Bigger bends?

Lovely, lovely, lovely ebony board!

'RS' 'SS'? What does that mean on the 'poker chip'?

I notice you've got the tailpiece top-wrapped - what does that do? Bigger bends?

I wish someone would tell me what those letters mean.

The top-wrap was a phase I'm about to grow out of tonight when I restring. I succumbed to peer pressure and tried it. It didn't make any difference.

I wish someone would tell me what those letters mean.

The top-wrap was a phase I'm about to grow out of tonight when I restring. I succumbed to peer pressure and tried it. It didn't make any difference.

Rhythm soundy, Solo soundy

You need a Gibson TP-6 tailpieceGibsonTailpieceTP6GoldBridge.jpg

Unbelievable. That is so beautiful. You are One lucky dog.

If/when you get the chance, please tell us how the Phat Cat plays with the humbuckers. And by "us" I really mean "me" as I'm interested (at some point) in trying some bucker-sized P-90 preferably in the neck for a more "lively" or "responsive" yet "warm" "rhythm sound."

It would seem I'm also going for some sort of "record" with the somewhat natural use of quotation marks. But I digress.

I would seriously love to get your opinion on the P90 & Humbucker, and if you think it works better for more lead-heavy/melody/high-gain or rhythm-based/low-gain/mellow tones. I keep trying to decide if I want to try one at all and if I should try it in the neck, bridge, or just get a P90 guitar and have it in both.

Also . . . I love how the trans-black finish goes to an almost black-and-purple/blueish-gray sort of color. It's like the sheen of ruffled-up silk sheets after, um, nevermind.

I switch from light flatwounds to normal strings last night. It's settling in now.

The neck is a fatso 59. The action is probably the lowest I've ever played, and that percerption is augmented with a chunky neck. So it feels clumsy to me while I adjust to it. This may be the only guitar I raise the action on for comfort.

The Phat Cat does sound like a P-90. I need to play the guitar more to give you better info though.

Three pup wiring is a trip. There are many options. My luthier switched my setup to another scheme. So this will take time before I know what I'm doing.

Archived