Heritage Owners Club

Fell In Love...All Over Again! H525 Custom

Gitfiddler

What is it about these Heritage guitars that we find so amazing, seductive and sweet?!

I just got home last night from out of town meetings and needed a gitfiddle fix. Picked up the H525 Custom, strummed a few chords acoustically and just stopped playing. I had to just look at this guitar and admire the great craftsmanship of the Parson Street boys and girls. They do such amazing work!! I plugged the 525 into my flame maple Fender Blues Jr., cranked her up and didn't stop playing for over 2 hours. Pure stress relieving bliss.

Nothing else to say. I just wanted to share this with you all. Man, I love this guitar!!!

heritageh525.jpg

I know what you mean. The other night I was playing my 357 and I couldn't stop looking at it.

That 525 sure is nice. They do good work!

Guest HRB853370

What is it about these Heritage guitars that we find so amazing, seductive and sweet?!

I just got home last night from out of town meetings and needed a gitfiddle fix. Picked up the H525 Custom, strummed a few chords acoustically and just stopped playing. I had to just look at this guitar and admire the great craftsmanship of the Parson Street boys and girls. They do such amazing work!! I plugged the 525 into my flame maple Fender Blues Jr., cranked her up and didn't stop playing for over 2 hours. Pure stress relieving bliss.

Nothing else to say. I just wanted to share this with you all. Man, I love this guitar!!!

heritageh525.jpg

Man, that is such a handsome guitar Git, it is breathtaking to look at it and I can only imagine what it sounds like! BTW, was this a custom build for you and what year is it? I think I might revise my wish list....

How are these acoustically, comfort-wise, and playability-wise? They're slim lines like a single florentine cut H-530 more or less, no? Heritage's stats for the rim width are, um, challenging? They list 1 5/8" and 2 1/4" for the rim, presumably they can't both be right.

Any compare/contrast into where they fit in (I'm guessing) between a full-sized Jazzbox (Eagle, Johnny Smith, etc.) and a slimline like a 535 (realizing the 525's are hollow) or 530? Also, how do the P-90's work? I'm guessing "awesome" but anything slightly more objective? :icon_thumright: I really liked the clips Wolfe did with a H-530 w/ P90's so would love your notes, things like tone, style & range they'd be ideal for, etc., etc.

That is so beautiful.I gotta get one of those.I often mourn the passing of my ES225,I could love that baby ! I'm so lucky I've had over 20 years playing my 2 Heritage guitars.I want more ! No, I can't look anymore !

Peter Alton Green. :heart_mini:

post-1702-085288500 1296061982_thumb.jpg

If that pair of ladies sounds half as good as they look, there's not a man on earth that wouldn't enjoy blissful nirvana being with them :icon_thumright:

Man, that is such a handsome guitar Git, it is breathtaking to look at it and I can only imagine what it sounds like! BTW, was this a custom build for you and what year is it? I think I might revise my wish list....

Thanks, Will, and yes, it was a custom order I made last June or July and received in October. I spec'd it out with a Heritage dealer to have a thicker '59 neck profile, choice woods, bound headstock, pearl inlay name, and custom pickguard. The serial number for 2010 begins with 'AA' which I think is cool, because she is an AA OK gitfiddle. High Flyin Bird took a few 'under construction' photos of her being fondled by Marv at the last PSP shindig. He did a wonderful job!!

Tim

How are these acoustically, comfort-wise, and playability-wise? They're slim lines like a single florentine cut H-530 more or less, no? Heritage's stats for the rim width are, um, challenging? They list 1 5/8" and 2 1/4" for the rim, presumably they can't both be right.

Any compare/contrast into where they fit in (I'm guessing) between a full-sized Jazzbox (Eagle, Johnny Smith, etc.) and a slimline like a 535 (realizing the 525's are hollow) or 530? Also, how do the P-90's work? I'm guessing "awesome" but anything slightly more objective? :icon_thumright: I really liked the clips Wolfe did with a H-530 w/ P90's so would love your notes, things like tone, style & range they'd be ideal for, etc., etc.

Halowords~ Since it is full hollow, thicker than a 530, but thinner than a 575, it has a nice acoustic voice. It is not as loud acoustically as a 575, but very close. It is nowhere close to the huge tones of 3" full hollows such as the large bodied Golden Eagle. I think the body depth is 2 1/14" at the lower bout and dimensionally the same profile as a 575.

Also it compares favorably to a 530, but has it's own unique bark that I love. It does particularly well for jazz, strung with flats, even though I like the subtle overtones produced by roundwound strings. Overall, it is an amazing instrument in its own niche soundwise...and extremely versatile. Highly recommended by this player.

Tim

Tim, if I am correct the added value of having a custom built Heritage out ways the savings from preowned. The color, fret markers, bound headstock and neck carve were only available as a oneoff and that makes it so extra special.

Do you use the bridge P90 much?

Tim, if I am correct the added value of having a custom built Heritage out ways the savings from preowned. The color, fret markers, bound headstock and neck carve were only available as a oneoff and that makes it so extra special.

Do you use the bridge P90 much?

Doh! I forgot that I also ordered 'small block inlays'! I do agree with you that having a custom made instrument to one's own specs is HUGE! There is no other builder that I am aware of that could make an instrument such as this, or the many other incredible creations we've seen, for the price Heritage charges. This was my 'no compromises' guitar that I had thought about for a very long time. Heritage delivered in spades. And yes, I do use the bridge p'up, but mostly combined with the neck, and both blended by their respective vol. knob. :icon_thumright:

heritageh525.jpg

What I am about to say is is no way meant to demean my OWN 525, which I think is a great guitar, a looker and a player....But compare this pic to Tim's; My poor girl is the ugly sister compared to that beauty. There's your Custom build difference. Oh, Yeah, my Blues Junior just has Black tolex, too..(But fully Billm Modded, so there's SOME consolation!) Enjoy her in good Health, Man, and crank it UP!

PSPIII150.jpg

What I am about to say is is no way meant to demean my OWN 525, which I think is a great guitar, a looker and a player....But compare this pic to Tim's; My poor girl is the ugly sister compared to that beauty. There's your Custom build difference. Oh, Yeah, my Blues Junior just has Black tolex, too..(But fully Billm Modded, so there's SOME consolation!) Enjoy her in good Health, Man, and crank it UP!

Schundog~ Your fine 525 and others seen here are what inspired my custom build. Most importantly were the comments 525 owners made about the TONES from this unique instrument.

All of these are relatively rare and all are incredible tone monsters. Play it in good health.

Tim

Hey Gitfiddler,

Halowords~ Since it is full hollow, thicker than a 530, but thinner than a 575, it has a nice acoustic voice. It is not as loud acoustically as a 575, but very close. It is nowhere close to the huge tones of 3" full hollows such as the large bodied Golden Eagle. I think the body depth is 2 1/14" at the lower bout and dimensionally the same profile as a 575.

Also it compares favorably to a 530, but has it's own unique bark that I love. It does particularly well for jazz, strung with flats, even though I like the subtle overtones produced by roundwound strings. Overall, it is an amazing instrument in its own niche soundwise...and extremely versatile. Highly recommended by this player.

Tim

If I could ask, what would make you pick up the 525 over a Golden Eagle, for instance? I'm not trying to nitpick, just genuinely curious as to where it fits in. Other than for pure acoustic Jazz, which the 3" wide full hollow Jazzboxes would obviously win out on in terms of tone and all. Just wondering if there are certain instances where an Eagle (any variant) or Johnny Smith would feel right as opposed to others where the 525 would really be a better choice. You've piqued my interest.

Hey Gitfiddler,

If I could ask, what would make you pick up the 525 over a Golden Eagle, for instance? I'm not trying to nitpick, just genuinely curious as to where it fits in. Other than for pure acoustic Jazz, which the 3" wide full hollow Jazzboxes would obviously win out on in terms of tone and all. Just wondering if there are certain instances where an Eagle (any variant) or Johnny Smith would feel right as opposed to others where the 525 would really be a better choice. You've piqued my interest.

Good question. I can answer in one word: Feedback.

OK, here are a few more words. :icon_profileright: The Golden Eagle has that fat, smokey 'Wes' tone that no small bodied guitar can match. But GE's, Johnny Smiths and 575's are all prone to feedback as the volume increases. Another feedback deadening factor is that the 525 is a laminate bodied, full hollow archtop. This is comparable to the H550 is to the Golden Eagle...same big body, but the 550's lam body makes for less feedback at louder volumes.

It all depends on if the player plays out or in the bedroom. At low volumes, the individual subtleties of each of these fine arcthtops can be heard. At higher volumes, the 525 can avoid some of the howling...not all of it but a little less due to the more shallow body. If you are asking me if I'd take the 525 instead of the Golden Eagle, I don't think I could choose. They are that different.

Finally, some folks like the compactness of the smaller 525's body for gigging. I love its size for standing or seated playing...And it is so lightweight to boot.

Hope this helps.

I've been asked to re-post the picture from the original thread. For some reason the original image disappeared.

I'll try again...

heritageh525.jpg

I could just stare at that picture all day long. I do have a question. You say that this is a totally hollow body guitar? I noticed that the bridge is not on top of a bridge base that is sitting on the sound board. It's studs are screwed into the top. How did they do that on a hollow body top? Is there a floating block glued to the underside of the top?

Patrick~ Yes, there is a relatively small floating block underneath the top to support the tom bridge. I asked for TonePro bridge setup and left the details to Marv. It is still full hollow, but like the H530, there is a necessary block under the top to support the bridge.

Archived