Heritage Owners Club

More new NEWS ON MANUFACURING...same Birdie....

Kuz

I agree. Jimmy Page can play my Tokai, I will play his 59, and he is still going to make me look rubbish.

Mark, I hear that the old Tokai's are becoming more popular and somewhat collectable.

I kind of wish they did not go to long tenons. I like my Heritages as is, once the long tenons come out I'm afraid that somewhere in the back of my mind I will wonder "yeah it sounds great but what if it had a long tenon"? I wonder if the long tenons will command a price premium? On the plus side though it may help help Heritage's marketing efforts. I'm starting to think that we where better off in the prehistoric days when you bought a guitar, left it as is (no super duper pots, p ups, long short medium tenons, millions of pedals etc etc) and just played the hell out of the dam thing. Thanks I feel better now.

Mark, I hear that the old Tokai's are becoming more popular and somewhat collectable.

I'm starting to think that we where better off in the prehistoric days when you bought a guitar, left it as is (no super duper pots, p ups, long short medium tenons, millions of pedals etc etc) and just played the hell out of the dam thing.

That's right; that's right! "Just play the f***ing thing!"

I kind of wish they did not go to long tenons. I like my Heritages as is, once the long tenons come out I'm afraid that somewhere in the back of my mind I will wonder "yeah it sounds great but what if it had a long tenon"? I wonder if the long tenons will command a price premium? On the plus side though it may help help Heritage's marketing efforts. I'm starting to think that we where better off in the prehistoric days when you bought a guitar, left it as is (no super duper pots, p ups, long short medium tenons, millions of pedals etc etc) and just played the hell out of the dam thing. Thanks I feel better now.

So perfectly stated! +1

That's right; that's right! "Just play the f***ing thing!"

So perfectly stated! +1

Umm yeah. Just play.

I wish they would push to keep non chambered 150's around 9lbs or under...

Since this is a preference for some customers, you have two options:

Check with your Heritage dealer to keep an eye out for a 150 at or under 9lbs. They just might have one in stock.

Another option is to custom order one with a weight specification. That should not be an upcharged item, but be sure to check with your dealer.

With a custom order you could get (almost) exactly the specs you want in a solid body 150. The danger is once you start customizing a 150, the price can get steep...but nowhere near a Custom Shop Gibson.

When the wood sounds and looks just right, the weight becomes insignificant.

Just one guy's opinion but I strongly disagree that anything makes the weight insignificant. I too wish they could keep the weight at 9 lbs. or under.

As far as dealers having them in stock, Graham at Wolfe personally told me he had a long waiting list of pre-sales on any H150 that came in at 9 lbs. or under.

And I personally just don't have the ability at this point in my life to deal with the uncertainties that come with a Heritage special order, so I'm kinda relegated to what I can find...

I custom ordered two 150s with a weight range between 8.5-9.25lbs.

They came out perfect. What "uncertainties" do you have? If you order a custom Heritage and it is not to your specs, they take it back and build you another!!!

I custom ordered two 150s with a weight range between 8.5-9.25lbs.

They came out perfect. What "uncertainties" do you have? If you order a custom Heritage and it is not to your specs, they take it back and build you another!!!

First of all, time. Actually, mainly time. It appears that lead times quoted are not generally reliable. It's not a flattering part of my makeup, but I just can't handle this. As an example I waited nearly a solid moth for a 150 that was finished and ready to ship with a projected ship time of "this week" At close to the one month mark I questioned what was going on to be told they had run out of cases. This just isn't acceptable to me. Plus, this forum abounds with horror stories on order times way beyond what is quoted.

Another case in point: one of the owners was holding a finished H150 in his hands and I asked him to weigh it for me. Eight pounds, five ounces I was told. Are you sure, I asked; is it chambered? Nope, I'll weigh it again. Same answer, so I say send it on to my dealer and put my name on the case. It arrived at nine pounds and 6 ounces. I wanted one so desperately I took it anyway but ultimately it had to go back to the factory for QC issues.

There's more but I'll stop there. I love these guitars and all they represent, but I'm gonna have to buy those that already exist and are in someone's hands, dealer or oterwise.

Guest HRB853370

First of all, time. Actually, mainly time. It appears that lead times quoted are not generally reliable. It's not a flattering part of my makeup, but I just can't handle this. As an example I waited nearly a solid moth for a 150 that was finished and ready to ship with a projected ship time of "this week" At close to the one month mark I questioned what was going on to be told they had run out of cases. This just isn't acceptable to me. Plus, this forum abounds with horror stories on order times way beyond what is quoted.

Another case in point: one of the owners was holding a finished H150 in his hands and I asked him to weigh it for me. Eight pounds, five ounces I was told. Are you sure, I asked; is it chambered? Nope, I'll weigh it again. Same answer, so I say send it on to my dealer and put my name on the case. It arrived at nine pounds and 6 ounces. I wanted one so desperately I took it anyway but ultimately it had to go back to the factory for QC issues.

There's more but I'll stop there. I love these guitars and all they represent, but I'm gonna have to buy those that already exist and are in someone's hands, dealer or oterwise.

A. Did you check the calibration on your bathroom scale? I would be willing to bet that Heritage's factory scales are more accurate than a bathroom scale.

B. This is not Gibson. This is a small shop. When you deal with a small shop, there are many more variables. At the end of the day, wasn't it all worth the small inconveniences?

"When the wood sounds and looks just right, the weight becomes insignificant."

I agree with that statement. My H-150 weighs in around 11 lbs., while my H-110 weighs in around 7 lbs. I like variety: light guitars, heavy guitars, and in-between guitars as long as they sound decent, but I realize that for those without an option to sit down on a bandstand gig, weight can be an issue.

Just an FYI, nothing more than that. We had a small Mom 'n Pop shop in the KCMO area that was a huge Gibs dealer for years. Their rejection rate on LP's exceeded 50%, regardless of price point. Their rejection rate on Fenders was in the 20 - 30% range. In the year they carried Heritage before having to close the doors they returned two out of the 30 or so they moved during that period. I even saw them return a PRS. Picky? Probably, and rightfully so. When we're paying $2k+ for a guitar I think we have the right to be as picky as we want, custom order or not.

Archived