Heritage Owners Club

Fender Twin Reverb

tulk1

Played an opening gig for some friends last night. Street party in LaCygne, KS. What a great town! Since we were the "guests", we used their backline. And I drew a Fender Twin Reverb (pretty sure it's an RI, but who cares?!) I forgot how much I liked these amps. Yeah, heavy as all get out; and can get louder than necessary. But the tone, oh the tone!! I used the non-verb side, ended up at about not-quite-4.5 on the vol. Warm, round, just friggin' ballsy tone. The Twin Loved the OCD. Interestingly, it didn't care for the Shiba that much. Strange, huh?! So now, I want one. But I don't want one. But I do!! :aggressive_mini: If Fender made a true 20/30/35 watt version of that amp, it would be a market killer. Assuming they could.

Just a quick gig report. We faced West, into the setting Sun. 90+ for an hour before it set. I barely made it thru the set. Had to take some electrolytes after. I'll remember that before the next outdoor gig and have some GatorAid or whatever with me. We still did okay, but I ended up phoning in the last few leads. Just too blaming hot for this aging man.

Played an opening gig for some friends last night. Street party in LaCygne, KS. What a great town! Since we were the "guests", we used their backline. And I drew a Fender Twin Reverb (pretty sure it's an RI, but who cares?!) I forgot how much I liked these amps. Yeah, heavy as all get out; and can get louder than necessary. But the tone, oh the tone!! I used the non-verb side, ended up at about not-quite-4.5 on the vol. Warm, round, just friggin' ballsy tone. The Twin Loved the OCD. Interestingly, it didn't care for the Shiba that much. Strange, huh?! So now, I want one. But I don't want one. But I do!! :aggressive_mini: If Fender made a true 20/30/35 watt version of that amp, it would be a market killer. Assuming they could.

Just a quick gig report. We faced West, into the setting Sun. 90+ for an hour before it set. I barely made it thru the set. Had to take some electrolytes after. I'll remember that before the next outdoor gig and have some GatorAid or whatever with me. We still did okay, but I ended up phoning in the last few leads. Just too blaming hot for this aging man.

Sounds like another fun gig for you guys, Kenny! I wouldn't want to haul a Twin around, even though I'm a big guy, and relatively young at 43. I heard someone say once, "In your 30s you play a Twin, in your 40s you get a Deluxe Reverb because of the weight, and by 50 you are tickled pink with a Princeton Reverb!" I don't know about that, I love my DRRI, and I've certainly heard beautiful tones from Princeton Reverbs, but if you want the power, nothing can beat a Twin, I'll bet. Just get a roadie.

I have a 73 Silverface Twin that I blackfaced. Periodically I consider getting rid of it for practical reasons but when I fire it up I change my mind. That said, being for the most part a home player, most of my plugged in time is with my Blues Jr.

Hey Kenny

That's reasurring, because I'll be using someone's twin for a gig on Mon. and I've never played through one before.

Interesting to hear how the various pedals interact with the amp, will be keeping that in mind.

Kenny, I don't know why I haven't gotten this one yet, but it is an original '67 Twin at an INCREDIBLE price. I have bought a lot of stuff from Willcut's so if you are interested I could call them and see if they will go even lower.

http://willcuttguitars.com/amps/used-amplifiers/fender-1967-twin-reverb

and . . . approaching 60,

DSC00935a.jpg

:wacko_mini2:

You got that right!!! Mic it up!! ...... :icon_thumleft:

Kenny, I don't know why I haven't gotten this one yet, but it is an original '67 Twin at an INCREDIBLE price. I have bought a lot of stuff from Willcut's so if you are interested I could call them and see if they will go even lower.

http://willcuttguita...967-twin-reverb

Checked it out, John, It looks amazing. A bit pricey for this guy, tho'. :aggressive_mini:

I can relate to the appeal of the twin ...

I have an old Dean Markley 2 -12 and it's heavy and powerful. Sounds great, but too heavy to take anywhere really. I try to stick with the 1-12 anymore.

Why does everyone complain about the weight of a Twin? They do have wheels after all. And on the occasions when I do lift it (I thank the Lord I am still able to do so) it seems to realign my spinal column almost like a free chiropractic adjustment.

Guest HRB853370

Been lovin my TR RI since I got it back in 2004.

Guest HRB853370

Twin reverbs - the king of clean, and yes they do take pedals well. They are back breakers however.

Geez, you girls who can't haul an amp around! They are not nearly as heavy as people make them out to be. My Peavey Classic 50 2x12 outweighs my TR by a big margin.

Hummm Fender Twin in a small package, thats like putting a hemi engine in a Golf Cart. be happy get a hand truck. Its about the Tone. :aggressive_mini:

Yeah, but could you imagine how hot the golf cart would be? :icon_thumright:

Hummm Fender Twin in a small package, thats like putting a hemi engine in a Golf Cart. be happy get a hand truck. Its about the Tone. :aggressive_mini:

Hey, another Concert advocate!

It's like half a Twin Reverb...but still killer tones.

post-4758-0-91602000-1307284933_thumb.jpg

Hey, another Concert advocate!

It's like half a Twin Reverb...but still killer tones.

post-4758-0-91602000-1307284933_thumb.jpg

and another.

Mine spends time being a head and a 112 combo. But I always run it through a 212 cab.

The clean channel is brutally honest, its an amp that lets you know where you really stand. I like it.

You got me looking at Evil Twins again. They have been part of my ebay bookmarks, but I haven't been there in quite a while. I remember hearing one at a local concert that sounded exceptional and got me interested in that strain of Twins.

twin reverbs are fantastic

I had a SF one from around '73, sounded GLORIOUS, then I let some tech talk me into blackfacing it, sounded like crap ever-after

eventually I sold it

I was messing around with a Twin, I'd put that sucker on casters. Anyone try the Twin 15? Its a Fender twin that using a single 15" speaker instead of 2x12.

The guy that fixed up my 5E3 has a Twin 15 sitting in his basement. His goto amp. Looks like a twin, sounds like a twin, weighs the same as a twin. Okay, those that still have full range hearing would probably say the 15 carries the bottom a bit better than the 2x12, but that is too slight a difference for these old ears to hear. It's a great sounding amp!

The guy that fixed up my 5E3 has a Twin 15 sitting in his basement. His goto amp. Looks like a twin, sounds like a twin, weighs the same as a twin. Okay, those that still have full range hearing would probably say the 15 carries the bottom a bit better than the 2x12, but that is too slight a difference for these old ears to hear. It's a great sounding amp!

I was thinking it would be a tad bit lighter.... Guess not!

I was thinking it would be a tad bit lighter.... Guess not!

Well, yeah, guess it really is. 95lbs vs 90lbs. ........... :smile_mini2:

Wonder if you can "Twin" a Deluxe Reverb?

I was messing around with a Twin, I'd put that sucker on casters. Anyone try the Twin 15? Its a Fender twin that using a single 15" speaker instead of 2x12.

I played a friend of mine's Twin 15 and loved its tone. It can fatten up the thinnest sounding guitar. Also if you stand close to it you can FEEL the air being pushed through that big speaker. Awesome cleans.

Archived