Heritage Owners Club

A "Cherry" Reverb Unit

Since it made a cameo in the "Friday Fun" thread... I thought it was about time I showed off that spiffy little reverb unit box of mine :)

I finally decided on a model number for the Reverb Units I've been building... went with GT-15, as a play on the 6G15 circuit they are based on... with the GT as tribute to the man behind GT Cables, who provided the cherry tree and a great portion of his time in the build.

Far as I know there is only one like it in the world.... :dontknow:

IMG_2109.jpg

2011-06-19101649.jpg

2011-06-19101709.jpg

2011-06-19101741.jpg

Sharp ! And , I'm sure, full of rich reverb tone.

These posts remind me of the old Fender stuff that I wish that I'd held onto.

And... how cool of our resident HOC cable guy to provide some premium cherry wood for the build.

Very nice :)

I've seen the schematics and the chassis are available to buy online but where did you get the rest of the electronics, particularly the transformer? Did you build the cab from a plan or just scale down a 5E3-style cab plan to suit the chassis and tank?

I have been contemplating building a Limey Reverb in Oak since I finished the amp!

Very nice :)

I've seen the schematics and the chassis are available to buy online but where did you get the rest of the electronics, particularly the transformer? Did you build the cab from a plan or just scale down a 5E3-style cab plan to suit the chassis and tank?

I have been contemplating building a Limey Reverb in Oak since I finished the amp!

The transformers I like to use are really just the same as a champ set. The PT needs around a 250v secondary, and of course the 6v tap for the light and heaters. The OT you want at least 5 watts power handling, a 7kohm primary and a 4ohm secondary. The choke is just the standard fender small choke. I usually use Mojotone's transformers on mine, which are "mojo" branded Heyboers; For reference, I use part number 779, 778, and 771.

We did start with plans for the original 6g15 cab, but soon set them aside and made it a tad it larger; no particular reason why except for limiting leftover scrap wood. It also was a little taller to allow for mounting the tank in either the bottom or on the front... I have a few original Accutronic tanks that are rated for horizontal mounting so it helped to make use of them.

I could see that reverb unit at the next NAMM or international amp show for sure!

Yes.... that would fit right in at a NAMM show.... and be quite popular.

( We need more cherry wood.. quick !! )

Whoh, hold on there Tex.

I went down to the local wood shop to get a box for strings

DSC_3871-b-sm.jpg

DSC_3874-b-sm.jpg

The proprietor had a sweet little Flamed Maple and Walnut box that fit the bill. For a few hundred dollars I thought it a tad pricey so he threw in this:

DSC_3887-b-sm.jpg

DSC_3880-b-sm.jpg

Looks a little like yours. Are you sure nobody else has one?

Nicest little reverb unit I've owned. And ummmmm, Cherry :downtown: Wood.

Ah yes, that one is the ultra rare deluxe "chassis offset to the right" editions :icon_thumright:

We built two at the same time, both from the same board of the same tree, and boy did they ever turn out purtty :happy_mini:

That's a mighty sharp quilted maple string holdin' box you got there too!

The string box matches an amp cab I built with a friend last fall. :icon_thumright:

Sweeeet! Cherry it is. I wonder if it sounds better than mine. Nah, it couldn't. Keep up the good work.

Archived