Heritage Owners Club

American made amps?

Now, I know there are plenty of quality amps out there that are imported into the US and even own a couple. However, in light of our issues, I am trying to buy American where I can. I not only want to support the salesman but the manufacturer and the folks that supply the componentry.

It is possible that in the next year, I will have a gig and will be in the market for an amp. However, in the next year, I can't see being able to fork over the $1900 for a Nocturne and so on.

I am probably looking in the $700-$800 and would love something like a fifties era guitar sound. See my Sleep Walk rendition for the type of sound I am looking for. I used the Deluxe Reverb model on the Cube.

I'd like something like that in a head with a 2x12 cab ideally.

Now... I know there's Carvin... and they sound great... but I get the sneaky suspicion that the majority of the internal components are imported. PLEASE correct me I am wrong as I REALLY liked the VT16 and that one is definitely priced right.

Avatar Amps has a $1000 18w clone. Sounds really good. That would be at the extreme top end of what I could afford and would involve begging for forgiveness afterward for sometime.

US with US Components made amp under $1000 impossible unless you get a good used deal?

I can also do a Deluxe Reverb kit for about $1000 but that will be single 12 which is the ONLY drawback.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recommend the HOCc's very own kbp810, he will do you right at a reasonable price point.

I will definitely contact him when I know what my price point is! haha. I don't want to insult him.

I won't need high power. 18w is plenty for days. The less controls the better. Can probably even have down to a 5 or 10 watt with efficient enough speakers. I like breakup when I lean into it. ;)

I tried finding an audio sample from his amp on YouTube but found nothing. :(

I'm delighted with li'l dawg. One-man American shop. Internet direct no middleman.

Littledawgamps.com

Barry, I have found the classified section at The Gear Page can be used as a source of amp makers that are less well known than the Fenders and Marshalls of the amp world. There are probably a couple of dozen "boutique" amps makers in the US. New prices on many of these are often on the expensive side, but used they can be quite reasonable. There are maybe as many as a dozen makers of the 5E3 , Fender Tweed Deluxe, around. Many of these use US made Mercury Magnetics transformers.

Guest HRB853370

Now, I know there are plenty of quality amps out there that are imported into the US and even own a couple. However, in light of our issues, I am trying to buy American where I can. I not only want to support the salesman but the manufacturer and the folks that supply the componentry.

It is possible that in the next year, I will have a gig and will be in the market for an amp. However, in the next year, I can't see being able to fork over the $1900 for a Nocturne and so on.

I am probably looking in the $700-$800 and would love something like a fifties era guitar sound. See my Sleep Walk rendition for the type of sound I am looking for. I used the Deluxe Reverb model on the Cube.

I'd like something like that in a head with a 2x12 cab ideally.

Now... I know there's Carvin... and they sound great... but I get the sneaky suspicion that the majority of the internal components are imported. PLEASE correct me I am wrong as I REALLY liked the VT16 and that one is definitely priced right.

Avatar Amps has a $1000 18w clone. Sounds really good. That would be at the extreme top end of what I could afford and would involve begging for forgiveness afterward for sometime.

US with US Components made amp under $1000 impossible unless you get a good used deal?

I can also do a Deluxe Reverb kit for about $1000 but that will be single 12 which is the ONLY drawback.

Barry, what is the kit you are referring to? The Marsh kit?

Guest HRB853370

I will definitely contact him when I know what my price point is! haha. I don't want to insult him.

I won't need high power. 18w is plenty for days. The less controls the better. Can probably even have down to a 5 or 10 watt with efficient enough speakers. I like breakup when I lean into it. ;)

I tried finding an audio sample from his amp on YouTube but found nothing. :(

Since you are in Atlanta area, check out Richard Goodsell (Goodsell Amps). Spectrum13 has one, and I almost pulled the trigger on one that was a demo from a recent amp show. They have one model with only bass, treble and volume, and I believe its 18 or 22 watts. You can go down to his shop and play anything he has made.

Since you are in Atlanta area, check out Richard Goodsell (Goodsell Amps). Spectrum13 has one, and I almost pulled the trigger on one that was a demo from a recent amp show. They have one model with only bass, treble and volume, and I believe its 18 or 22 watts. You can go down to his shop and play anything he has made.

Cool! They look awesome. WAY above my likely price range will be though.

I ended up with a used Patriot. 2x12 and very nice. I tried to crank it a bit at PSP but didn't get much over half. It was just starting to break up and was very loud. Most the time it was running between 9:00 and 10:00 on the volume.

I'll vouch for the punch Rich's Patriot has. Played through it for the "Border Band's" little set on Saturday. Amp volume never got much past 3, and the guitar pots were both at about half mast......still amazing volume. And clarity.

And tons of bottom end. I had to back the amp bass way down to about 3 on the dial.

This may be more power than you want; perhaps one of the smaller Heritage amps going into a 2x12 would suit you better.

I'll third the Patriot. No disrespect to anyone's amp, but I thought Rob's custom amp and Rich's Patriot were the two best sounding amps at PSP.

But there were a lot of great sounding amps at PSP!

I like building kits and amps from scratch also. You can't go wrong with an amp from David Allen. David will provide a kit or a complete amp. His raw circuit which is a gradual bypass of the tone-stack provides plenty of mids for a real round sound. It is a Fender vibe but they take pedals well and you can run 6V6 or 6L6 if you spec it that way. I have built a lot of them. My favorites are the Sweet Spot and the Chihuahua but I have more than that. I love amp building. You can find some used ones but you might need to be handy with a soldering iron. David runs a class operation but people make his kits and try to pass them when they get tired of them.

Just not going to happen. Reality is that we don't make all the components in the US necessary to build an amp. Even our wonderful boys at the 'zoo have their pots made in Mexico. However, that doesn't mean you can't support an American build. I've had two custom amps built by local US amp builders and they both turned out wonderful. No clue where all the components were sourced and don't care.

Just not going to happen. Reality is that we don't make all the components in the US necessary to build an amp. Even our wonderful boys at the 'zoo have their pots made in Mexico. However, that doesn't mean you can't support an American build. I've had two custom amps built by local US amp builders and they both turned out wonderful. No clue where all the components were sourced and don't care.

I am not saying quality can't be gotten elsewhere. It certainly can. I am just trying to be as conscious of my purchasing as to what that purchasing means to our country and its people. I know that an amp can't be 100% US made. I just want, where i have the option, for it to have US made parts.

As a side note, my 575 came with CTS pots, Sprague caps, Switchcraft jacks/switches and Seymour Duncan pickups which are all US made. The Grover tuners are made abroad. I don't know who made the bridge and tailpiece but they are probably imports. All and all, though,the majority of that guitar's build is done with US made parts. I am ok with that but I wish I could have sent more money to more US companies.

That is all I am trying to do here. I am not at all slamming import guitar parts, amps or guitars. We all have our reasons for getting what we do and they aren't always all about the tone. For me, supporting US companies (especially at times like these) is very important. I wish I had been more interested in this years ago.

I know buying an Ibanez means I am paying for a US salesman, the store, the import company and transport company. That is awesome. If I can support that AND the guitar/amp, switch, pot, jack, tuner, bridge, tailpiece manufacturers, too, then all the better in my mind.

You can get a Rivera Clubster 1-12 from the MF'ers for slightly more than a grand. I think this would be my rec. if you wanted something US-made, new/off the shelf, fender-y sounding, with some clean headroom. DR'ish, but channel switching. You could get the 1-10 version for less than a grand, BUT, if you want the bigger sound of a twelve ...

You can get a Rivera Clubster 1-12 from the MF'ers for slightly more than a grand. I think this would be my rec. if you wanted something US-made, new/off the shelf, fender-y sounding, with some clean headroom. DR'ish, but channel switching. You could get the 1-10 version for less than a grand, BUT, if you want the bigger sound of a twelve ...

As usual, inspired to do some digging, and found that Valve Train now has a line of US-made tube amps under a grand, including both tweed and blackface inspired 6v6 amps. These I would definitely check out, again if the criteria is new, off-the-shelf, US-made amp.

http://www.valvetrainamps.com/revolution.htm

Actually, the Boys now use CTS pots and Tone Pro hardware as standard issue.

Even the US Buy American Act doesn't require ALL parts and pieces be made in the US. Only a portion of them. I'd love an all American amp. And I want my guitars to be American made, as well. But the bottom line is, we don't know where all those parts are sourced. How many tubes are actually being manufactured in the US? Not many, I'd offer.

Even the US Buy American Act doesn't require ALL parts and pieces be made in the US. Only a portion of them. I'd love an all American amp. And I want my guitars to be American made, as well. But the bottom line is, we don't know where all those parts are sourced. How many tubes are actually being manufactured in the US? Not many, I'd offer.
To the best of my knowledge, none are made in the US. Maybe I am reading your posts wrong but are you taking exception to me wanting to have an American made amp made with as many American made parts as possible?

To the best of my knowledge, none are made in the US. Maybe I am reading your posts wrong but are you taking exception to me wanting to have an American made amp made with as many American made parts as possible?

No. Not at all. That's my preference, as well.

Archived