Heritage Owners Club

American made amps?

No. Not at all. That's my preference, as well.

Oh ok. Cool. Lousy internet.

Well, I guess you could really run it into the ground wanting to know where a bridge manufacturer gets their billet from and so on.

From what I have gathered, short of the tubes, you can get a VERY American made amp. The components are manufactured here. Where they get their bits... well, i haven't gone that far... yet. :D

The down side... the parts including the tubes... is about $400 and that doesn't include a chassis and cabinet. So.... yeah. GREAT quality parts (KBP810 has been seriously helpful in talking me through dealers and so on.) but they are not cheap as they add up REALLY fast. haha.

I got all excited when I saw that caps were basically $0.15 USD a piece. haha. Then came the tubes, the speaker, the sockets, the transformers.....

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know this is at the top end of your price range, but there is a HERITAGE VICTORY AMP 6V6 12" COMBO- DELUXE w REVERB 22w bin $999 in the baywatch section.
Good looking out. :)

I am not looking for now. This is if the gig actually happens.

I am generally not in favor of Fender's Reissue amps (PC board vs handwired, ect) but some have said the Fender Deluxe Reverb RI sound good.

There is a used one advertized at Willcutt's music in Lexington, Ky for $749

Here is the link....

http://willcuttguitars.com/amps/used-amplifiers/fender-65-deluxe-reverb-reissue-used

I am generally not in favor of Fender's Reissue amps (PC board vs handwired, ect) but some have said the Fender Deluxe Reverb RI sound good.

There is a used one advertized at Willcutt's music in Lexington, Ky for $749

Kf

Here is the link....

http://willcuttguitars.com/amps/used-amplifiers/fender-65-deluxe-reverb-reissue-used

I had assumed most Fender amps had gone the way of Harley: American assembled import parts.

If you have an opportunity to score ANY of the now discontinued Heritage Amplification of Tennessee amps, do it!

The MADE IN USA quality is so good and the tone so amazing, they should please even the most discriminating player IMHO.

This used Patriot I recently picked up for under a grand has made my other amps (Boogie, Fender, etc.) VERY lonely!

post-8-0-69672300-1313367675_thumb.jpg

Just another possibility.... someone mentioned David Allen amps. I know where two are for sale.

Hot Fudge with Nuts. 12" Weber Alnico. $700

Allen Accomplice Jr. 12 Fender Wired by David. $900 This is a consignment. Only issue I could see was that the power cord was pretty short.

Fxdx has an Accomplice Jr. I vacillated between it and the Patriot for a while, even walked into the store with the money in the pocket, but went home until I could hear the Patriot. It goes both 6L6 and 6V6. Not sure what is in it. Broke up pretty nicely but I was looking for max clean headroom.

You should look for a used older Fender Blues Jr. The first few years were made in the U.S. Now they are made in Mexico. However keep in mind you do take you chances with older amps that were made with PCB boards. Many afforadable tubes amps today are made with PCB boards that are difficult to repair if there is a problem. My KBP810 RD amp is similiar to it's Fender DRRI relative. However, what sets it apart is its a hand wired amp using precise spec'd components. While the KBP810 is price comparitive to the DRRI, its much better because there is no PCB board in it. The cool thing about Brian's amps are choices. I was able to select any color or type of covering and grill cloth. I was also given a choice about speakers too. One thing that does seperate his amp from the kits on the market is the cabinets. Brian makes his cabinets with finger joints. Some of the cabinets I've seen are not. The finger joints make a big difference in the tone of the amp. Just food for thought.

To the best of my knowledge, none are made in the US. Maybe I am reading your posts wrong but are you taking exception to me wanting to have an American made amp made with as many American made parts as possible?

Hey Barry, pretty much what Kenny said below.

No. Not at all. That's my preference, as well.

I think that is probably most American's preference, not necessarily nationalism so much as supporting American jobs & economy. I suspect most are probably of a similar mindset, just pointing out that while it might be nice it also might not be possible to go all-American in terms of parts & construction in the truest sense of the word.

Hey Barry, pretty much what Kenny said below.

I think that is probably most American's preference, not necessarily nationalism so much as supporting American jobs & economy. I suspect most are probably of a similar mindset, just pointing out that while it might be nice it also might not be possible to go all-American in terms of parts & construction in the truest sense of the word.

I completely agree that 100% tip to tail is pretty well impossible and even harder to discern. Just an order of magnitude thing.

This whole thread got me on the MIA bandwagon. I was ready to part ways with my deluxe MIM strat, but I only need to realize there isn't much difference between my guitar and its American made counterparts. The closest thing of value to my strat maybe a signature model, its surely better than an American Special or Highway 1.

Carvin makes amps in their San Diego factory still, as well as their guitars. They have the Vintage 50 head which is an EL84 based 50 watt head. Two channels with reverb, though I believe the reverb is now digital (some say this is an improvement). Retails for $549 and you can even choose the color tolex.

Another option is to find a silverface fender from the 70s. They do not get the same prices that the blackfaces do, but are very good amps. Also a Deluxe reverb is LOUD. Something like a princeton reverb might be a little more manageable. a place near me in NJ has a silverface pro-reverb from 1978 for $800.

Carvin makes amps in their San Diego factory still, as well as their guitars. They have the Vintage 50 head which is an EL84 based 50 watt head. Two channels with reverb, though I believe the reverb is now digital (some say this is an improvement). Retails for $549 and you can even choose the color tolex.

Another option is to find a silverface fender from the 70s. They do not get the same prices that the blackfaces do, but are very good amps. Also a Deluxe reverb is LOUD. Something like a princeton reverb might be a little more manageable. a place near me in NJ has a silverface pro-reverb from 1978 for $800.

I like Carvin as a product. I am waiting to hear back from them about their componentry. Lil Dawg uses a great deal of US parts.

This whole thread got me on the MIA bandwagon. I was ready to part ways with my deluxe MIM strat, but I only need to realize there isn't much difference between my guitar and its American made counterparts. The closest thing of value to my strat maybe a signature model, its surely better than an American Special or Highway 1.

In a number of cases, you are right. Import quality can be just as good as anything we do here in the US. Besides, once you have bought, the horse has left the barn. No point in closing the door at that point. ;)

I don't plan on losing my Rolands. Just in the future, I plan to be more of aware of what I am buying and what that could mean.

In a number of cases, you are right. Import quality can be just as good as anything we do here in the US. Besides, once you have bought, the horse has left the barn. No point in closing the door at that point. ;)

I don't plan on losing my Rolands. Just in the future, I plan to be more of aware of what I am buying and what that could mean.

For $650, I found this in my local CL postings...

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/msg/2534787579.html

For $650, I found this in my local CL postings...

http://detroit.craig...2534787579.html

Nice!

I dig this one:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=VT16-212

I am waiting to hear back from them about their componentry.

There is also this one from Lil Dawg:

http://www.littledawgamps.com/amps_dlux.php

Of course, there is KBP810. :)

Dave's also packs their amps and guitars to survive WAR. They have had a lot of good amps over the months I've been looking. Picked up my TSL122 from there. Currently deciding if I want to keep it or not. It's just so... beastly.

As for the oak X-amp combo, those are nice. Even nicer is to find one with the EV speaker in it. I know a guy from the Carvin museum forums who has one of those, as well as a bunch of early 80's ALL KOA carvin guitars.

Regarding components, as said before, everyone is outsourcing overseas these days. The cost of production in the US is simply too high, and they have to remain competitive.

To the best of my knowledge, none are made in the US. Maybe I am reading your posts wrong but are you taking exception to me wanting to have an American made amp made with as many American made parts as possible?

The only tubes still made in the US are ULTRA high end. I think some 300B tubes are still made by western electric. Also Groove Tubes a while back got components to make a bunch of GE 6L6 tubes.

I do my best to buy and use US made components whenever possible.. but even at that they sometimes either slip under the radar, or I'm left with no choice but to concede to whats available to order.

On that note, anyone know of a good solid US made Reverb Tank now that Accutronics is owned by Belton? Doesn't seem like they are the same quality anymore... the US made ones are already becoming tough to find and coming at an ever increasing premium. Thus far I think the MOD tanks are the next best suited replacement sound wise, but they are made in China.

What's more fun is that you basically support more American jobs buying import than domestic. haha.

I guess for me I just don't see the import industry as doing well in comparison to the domestic manufacturing.

Or when you want to buy an American truck, you find out that Chevy produced them in Mexico....

Archived