Heritage Owners Club

Schaller Tailpieces

DetroitBlues

Ok, I'm frustrated now. I've broken the high e string for the 3rd time. Everytime its been the same thing, the ball of the string as come apart inside the tailpiece. My only conclusion is its the something to do with that little plastic piece that holds the strings in place. Has this happened to anyone else and if so, how did you fix it? At the moment, I'm thinking of replacing the tailpiece. What's a good replacement that fits in case I cannot straighten this problem out?

I like the Dean Markley brand. I only went back to Ernie Ball because there was a huge sale on them. However, I started off with a set of Cleartones in which the same thing happened. I've used that brand for years on my acoustics without any trouble. Keep in mind I do some really high bends with the high e as well.

Never had the problem with my old Schaller tail on my 157 using d addarios. I did change it for astetic reasons, got a gotoh tail for about $20. Did some research, they are pretty much the same as a tones pro for less $

Guest HRB853370

Ok, I'm frustrated now. I've broken the high e string for the 3rd time. Everytime its been the same thing, the ball of the string as come apart inside the tailpiece. My only conclusion is its the something to do with that little plastic piece that holds the strings in place. Has this happened to anyone else and if so, how did you fix it? At the moment, I'm thinking of replacing the tailpiece. What's a good replacement that fits in case I cannot straighten this problem out?

Tonepros?

This'd be the 140?

Hmm... I never had a prob with that tailpiece... but it is possible that there is a funky or damaged one.

Thing is... at the tailpiece, without having it in my hands as you do in yours, I'd be QUICK to blame the strings since there should only be stretching. This isn't defending Schaller or Heritage. I'd say this with the cheapest epiphones.

This might be a little time consuming, but if you can solder or know someone who does, I've read Dan Erlewine and some other guitar techs say that if they tin the wraps with just a minimal amount of 60/40 solder and a low-watt solder pencil they won't unravel. I've never had to try it myself but it might be cheaper if you bought a lot of strings than buying a new tail piece.

is the actual string breaking, or is it just coming untied around the ball end?

also, those tabs aren't plastic, those are metal, and a relatively hard one at that. probably steel. if the string is resting on one of the sharp edges and you are bending a lot, it could be causing it to break.

Now would be the perfect time to switch to a bigsby...

I knew you'd say that because the same thought crossed my mind.

I'm going to buy some different string tomorrow. I think I'm going back to a hybrid 10's and changing brands. Hopefully that is all my problem is.

also, those tabs aren't plastic, those are metal, and a relatively hard one at that. probably steel. if the string is resting on one of the sharp edges and you are bending a lot, it could be causing it to break.

I've thought the same thing too.

My faithful luthier will be using some abrasive string to see if the tailpiece as a burr in it. But seriously, I think its time for new bridge and tailpiece because the thumbscrews move so easily, I think the bridge has been slowly lowering itself under the string pressure. I'm thinking of a Gotoh set, but which set should I use?

Just send the guitar back to me for extensive "Testing"..I will give you the results once I discover "the problem".. :icon_smile:

My faithful luthier will be using some abrasive string to see if the tailpiece as a burr in it. But seriously, I think its time for new bridge and tailpiece because the thumbscrews move so easily, I think the bridge has been slowly lowering itself under the string pressure. I'm thinking of a Gotoh set, but which set should I use?

It's pretty difficult for string pressure to cause the bridge to lower, regardless of how lose the posts are. they need rotational pressure to move. straight down won't do anything.

It's pretty difficult for string pressure to cause the bridge to lower, regardless of how lose the posts are. they need rotational pressure to move. straight down won't do anything.

I think the same thing two, but I'm wondering if I've bumped it with my hand when I'm playing finger style or something. I've noticed I've fretted out a few times recently too.

It seemed like it came off the ball end.

So I brought my 140 into the shop today to take a look at the tailpiece. There were no obvious signs under the magnifying glass on the tailpiece to indicate a problem. However, he remembered once that SRV's tech did something to help prevent Stevie from breaking strings. He mentioned to use a little shrink tubing or teflon on the saddle to prevent the strings from breaking at that point. So we used a little shrink tubing to put on the string where the tailpiece holds the ball of the string. He also mentioned the postion of ball as well to have the hole of the ball run on its side when stringing up the guitar. Advice and material was free, so at this point, I'm only out a couple of strings. Which, by the way, Ernie Ball is replacing for free.

DetroitBlues, you are not alone. I had this exact same problem on my H150, especially with the first string. The ball end usually ends up laying at an angle in the string insert (retainer).

In fact, when I used to bend that string, there was a chance it would break at the ball end OR the roller saddle. The latter was solved by fitting Graph Tech saddles (recommended) and as regards he former, your tech is spot on, I'd say. I have used kitchen foil paper wrapped around the twist as a quick fix!!

Archived