Heritage Owners Club

Speaker cable question

MartyGrass

I've actually noticed that lately vacuum cleaners have been skimping on the gauge of their wires, the same with many amp makers and even computer makers. A lot are sticking 18 gauge wires on their equipment, when 16 or 14 gauge would be more appropriate.

for my guitar amps I have 15 gauge wires with HUGE cable ends from carvin, so there won't be any confusion. for my bass amp, I have 2 5 ft 12 gauge speaker wires with speakon high current connectors, which you really will only see when dealing with PA systems and high powered bass amplifiers.

For my PA work, and with my audio speakers, I use 14 gauge cable that costs about $30 for 50ft. That's mainly because the cost of copper has risen so much. It used to be about $12 to $15.

The key is to use the proper cable for the job. Speaker cables have to be able to conduct 10 to 100 watts of power. The length will be pretty short. You don't need shielding, so basic 2 conductor zip cable in 18 to 14 gauge will be adequate.

Guitars are working with millivolts of electricity with a high impedence, highly inductive circuit. They need a good sheilded cable that is non microphonic. Again, use the proper cable.

But then I got my latest "Audio Advisor" catalog and began to think... do you think my Patriot would sound better if I used one of these to plug it in? I bet I would sound like SRV and Jimi all in one!

The Golden Reference Power Cord may not be made of precious metals, but the performance is pure gold. It's a heavy gauge, shielded cord with several types of filtration along with a patented stranded conductor geometry based on the "Golden Ratio" mathematical proportion widely used in nature, music, and architecture as old as the pyramids.

In Cardas audio cables, Golden Section Stranding mathematically eliminates resonant multiples in conductors by sequencing strand masses and their associated inductive effects in an irrational progression. In the Golden Reference Power Cord, the specially designed, silent, litz conductor phase cancels very high frequencies for a dramatic decrease in noise.

An asymmetrical shield provides calculated, nondistributed, capacitance filtration. A unique "Ground Plane Demodulator" attenuates high frequency ground looping between coupled audio components, eliminating interaction between your A/V components.

Oh yeah, the price is a mere $535 for a 3 ft cord.

CARGRPC_000.jpg

For my PA work, and with my audio speakers, I use 14 gauge cable that costs about $30 for 50ft. That's mainly because the cost of copper has risen so much. It used to be about $12 to $15.

The key is to use the proper cable for the job. Speaker cables have to be able to conduct 10 to 100 watts of power. The length will be pretty short. You don't need shielding, so basic 2 conductor zip cable in 18 to 14 gauge will be adequate.

Guitars are working with millivolts of electricity with a high impedence, highly inductive circuit. They need a good sheilded cable that is non microphonic. Again, use the proper cable.

But then I got my latest "Audio Advisor" catalog and began to think... do you think my Patriot would sound better if I used one of these to plug it in? I bet I would sound like SRV and Jimi all in one!

The Golden Reference Power Cord may not be made of precious metals, but the performance is pure gold. It's a heavy gauge, shielded cord with several types of filtration along with a patented stranded conductor geometry based on the "Golden Ratio" mathematical proportion widely used in nature, music, and architecture as old as the pyramids.

In Cardas audio cables, Golden Section Stranding mathematically eliminates resonant multiples in conductors by sequencing strand masses and their associated inductive effects in an irrational progression. In the Golden Reference Power Cord, the specially designed, silent, litz conductor phase cancels very high frequencies for a dramatic decrease in noise.

An asymmetrical shield provides calculated, nondistributed, capacitance filtration. A unique "Ground Plane Demodulator" attenuates high frequency ground looping between coupled audio components, eliminating interaction between your A/V components.

Oh yeah, the price is a mere $535 for a 3 ft cord.

CARGRPC_000.jpg

I think I'll just wait til they start marketing free range electricity.

Ah yes, that cable will increase tone output by exactly 63.32817% (using the tone to cost of item ratio forumula, of course)

Heck, I'd be embarrased to even play an amp without a $500+ mathematicaly proportional resonant irrationally progressive power cord attached to it! In fact, anyone not using a ground plane demodulator should just put their guitar back in it's case and rethink their decesion to become a musician.

...shouldn't these guys be upgrading the electrical wiring in their house as well?

Actually they do... Funnily enough, I remember reading a report of the Heathrow hifi show a few years ago where Quad showed off their ESL 989 speakers using Black and Decker extension leads as speaker cable. Apparently nobody noticed.

Archived