Heritage Owners Club

Your 'to the grave' amp

barrymclark

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a thread with such a dramatic title you would think there would be a few more pictures than there are!!

A good amp shot is just as cool as a flame or quilt caught in the right light.

Excellent point Tully!

I'm taking all this with me:

IMG_1553.jpg

I had a Black Face Deluxe that I've been kicking myself in the butt over for years.

Two words that match your description perfectly........ Carr Rambler!!!!!!

The Carr Rambler is one of the best clean tones I'd ever heard. I test drove one last year, dimed the volume and still couldn't get it to sound crunchy or overdrive. Has anyone had any luck putting pedals in front of the CR and get some good crunch or distortion out of it?

Carr Rambler. I keep buying and selling whilst trying to better it, but nothing else yet.

I would probably second that even though I can't afford one..In the meantime it's my good ol great sounding plenty loud C-30..Maybe after i hit the super lotto, I can upgrade..Oh wait, you have to buy a ticket..Nevermind.. :icon_joker:

Ya know what? I changed my mind..I think it's the old '59 Gibsonette GA-8..Nice and chimey at low volumes, nice growl when you turn it up..

My 66 Super Reverb, Ive had it for a long time and it is what I use as a gauge to compare all other amps to. Definately will always be with me. My dream amp is basically the 2nd channel of the Super as a head into what ever cabinet most fits the music I am going to do today.

Hoping to get KBP to build me something like that sometime after the 1st of the year.

While I love my KBP810 amp, he is right. There is something about that simple 5E3 that just rocks. Its a well built and fantastic go to amp even if its running through its 1x12 internal speaker or his custom 2x12 extension cab....

Well, thats all quite awesome actually.......Thank you. :)

Yeah..Where'd you get the Reverb unit? (JUS KIDDIN...) :icon_salut:

While I would love to take this to the grave with me, there is NO WAY it would fit in the coffin!

Guild%20S100%20and%20Thunderbird.jpg

Someday I'll have it redone so that its safe to play and the caps aren't 45+ years old.

WOW!! What are those pickups on that thing? How do they sound?

Those are Guild HB1s. Compared to the Seth Lovers, both neck and bridge have much less midrange. Output is lower than the SLs as well. The bridge pickup is very bright and clear, almost twangy, but not in a tele way. The little toggle switch is a phase switch so you can reverse the polarity and play with the volume controls to move the sound through the null area. Very cool for its time.

Someday I'll change strings and try to make a comparison.

WOW!! What are those pickups on that thing? How do they sound?

While I would love to take this to the grave with me, there is NO WAY it would fit in the coffin!

Someday I'll have it redone so that its safe to play and the caps aren't 45+ years old.

Very, very cool rig there.

• 2 weeks later...

Might be a wee tight, but you could use this one AS your coffin.

Might be a wee tight, but you could use this one AS your coffin.

You aren't too far from the truth but I'm going to have to lose a few pounds!

That Thunderbird is an interesting design. The preamp and reverb sections are in the top. Power amp is in the bottom. 2 7591 tubes and a pair of original Jensen C12N speakers. The biggest problem I see with rebuilding it is that it used some 4 section can caps that aren't available in the proper values and voltages. Kinda spoils the original look to put 4 caps on a PC board and glue it to the chassis.

Those are Guild HB1s. Compared to the Seth Lovers, both neck and bridge have much less midrange. Output is lower than the SLs as well. The bridge pickup is very bright and clear, almost twangy, but not in a tele way. The little toggle switch is a phase switch so you can reverse the polarity and play with the volume controls to move the sound through the null area. Very cool for its time.

Someday I'll change strings and try to make a comparison.

Nice..i've been around awhile, and I've NEVER seen a guitar like that..

I had a '65 Twin Reverb Re-issue, that got away due to its size and weight. i hope one is waiting for me on the other side. i don't regret selling it, but that was the one. i keep looking for something in a smaller package that will give me its depth, openness, clarity and soul. i doubt i'll ever find it.

any suggestions?

Yup, the suggestion is a Carr Rambler. Weight is about the same as a Deluxe Reverb - 42 lbs.

wow, Bolero....that's beautiful! Differences between Super PA, Bass, and Lead are very subtle...and on 10 there all almost identical. Is that a '67? I'd love to see a gut shot of that one.

More pics of my fav

Tele001a.jpg

Front.jpg

Guts.jpg

Archived