Heritage Owners Club

MXR Carbon Copy

yavuz

I only use three pedals. The carbon copy is one of them.

Yup, I've got one, and it has made me a better player.

OK, it can't do that. But it makes me sound better.

Don't forget to try adjusting the two modulation controls (very) inconveniently placed under the bottom cover.....they can make quite a difference.

Why MXR couldn't put these on the face of the unit is beyond me. But lots of things are. Beyond me, that is.

Very nice pedal. Warm, versatile...

Mine arrived yesterday.

Here is a nice

Sweet..and I don't even like delay generally..LOL

I've auditioned one of those, extensively. A big thumbs up on that one! I know where there's one, the price of which has been slowly dropping for months. Think I'll acquire it before too much longer.

Really? That's cool. Uh ... where's that at, Rob? ................ :laughing7:

There are a lot of great delay pedals out there, high end stuff, medium range and low end, I would place the Carbon Copy in the low to medium range as far as price, but if you get into a discussion about delay pedals with any group of guitar players the Carbon Copy will always come up. Great pedal for the money, I've thought about buying one myself and still may if I ever need a new delay.

And regardless of price or what other people think I like MXR, they do what they are supposed to do and do it pretty well. I use a Phase 90 and a Micro Amp and love em both.

I've thought about replacing my Rat with a Distortion 3, and my DE 7 with a Carbon Copy, in both cases I would gain some board space, and a tonal upgrade I think.

Perhaps I was unlucky, but I went through THREE Carbon Copies, and they all suffered from the same fault - after a couple of weeks the switch stopped working. In the end I opted for a Tech 21 Boost D.L.A., which has been very reliable and sounds good. I've also recently bought a TC Electronics Flashback delay, which is a nice little pedal with some intriguing options, e.g. reverse echo. Don't get me wrong, the Carbon Copy was a good pedal and I hope you don't have the reliability problems I did.

I've got one and am pretty happy with it. It doesn't take away from my tone at all. I do need to learn how to use those controls under the cover, however.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget to try adjusting the two modulation controls (very) inconveniently placed under the bottom cover.....they can make quite a difference.

Why MXR couldn't put these on the face of the unit is beyond me. But lots of things are. Beyond me, that is.

I got my MXR CC today and I like it very much so far. Any suggestions for the adjustment of the two mod knobs ? What does the adjustment do ? Thanks in advance and best regards.

Wolfi

Here's what MXR says about it:

"To add modulation (a slight up and down pitch shift) to the delayed signal, depress the Mod button. The illuminated small blue LED indicates Modulation on. Modulation width and speed can be adjusted internally with a 2 mm slotted screwdriver."

They don't bother mentioning the fact that you've got to remove the bottom plate first.

The only change I made was to back off the 'width' screw about a quarter turn, as I thought mine was 'warbling' a bit too loosely. (And, no, that's not a medical condition.) That made a noticable difference. Best to try both controls and see what you like. Maybe make a note of the factory settings (e.g. width at 7 o'clock, depth at 10 o'clock) before you start, though, just in case you want to put things back as they were.

One note of caution....be careful not to look directy at the main blue power indicator LED, as that sucker is bright enough to fry retinas. If you're playing outside, it can easily be seen from the moon. Don't really know how this might be useful.

This is the one I keep on my board, and it does have a warm sound. Sometimes, though, I entertain putting the Boss delay back on - it has a different quality - a more aggressive sound.

LOL. that's a winner then. as a jazzer, i've gotten over staying "pure" and using no effects, just relying on my chops. that might work if you've got great chops, but reality gives me no choice but to use performance enhancing boxes of wires to at least sound better while wallowing in mediocrity. some call it juicing, i call it "whatever gets you through the night".

Here's what MXR says about it:

"To add modulation (a slight up and down pitch shift) to the delayed signal, depress the Mod button. The illuminated small blue LED indicates Modulation on. Modulation width and speed can be adjusted internally with a 2 mm slotted screwdriver."

They don't bother mentioning the fact that you've got to remove the bottom plate first.

The only change I made was to back off the 'width' screw about a quarter turn, as I thought mine was 'warbling' a bit too loosely. (And, no, that's not a medical condition.) That made a noticable difference. Best to try both controls and see what you like. Maybe make a note of the factory settings (e.g. width at 7 o'clock, depth at 10 o'clock) before you start, though, just in case you want to put things back as they were.

One note of caution....be careful not to look directy at the main blue power indicator LED, as that sucker is bright enough to fry retinas. If you're playing outside, it can easily be seen from the moon. Don't really know how this might be useful.

Thanks a lot. I will check this out asap and report.

Best

I have a CC a while now, it's a very "musical" sounding delay. Warm and slightly muffled is another way of describing it. I find it very forgiving and easy to find a good sound with.

My other delay pedal is a TC Nova, digital with an analog sounding setting, it doesn't hide anything, everything is audible including the clams, and it takes a lot longer to find " a sound", but when one is finally settled on it can store 9 or 10 of them and recall them at will. You could say it's the other end of the spectrum to the Carbon Copy.

I recently bought a Carbon Copy and am very happy. To echo previous comments, the pedal adds warmth to my tone especially with my Tele. It also sound great with my H555 loaded with Fralin Pure PAF pups.

I bought one about a year ago and frankly am still trying to get it figured out. :icon_scratch:

A slapback is pretty easy to dial in but beyond that I've not had much luck finding anything usable for the style of music I play. Maybe I need to get in to a David Gilmour cover band?

I bought one about a year ago and frankly am still trying to get it figured out. :icon_scratch:

A slapback is pretty easy to dial in but beyond that I've not had much luck finding anything usable for the style of music I play. Maybe I need to get in to a David Gilmour cover band?

Check these setting out:

This one is a bit Gilmourish: Regen: 11, Mix: 11, Delay: 2, Mod:on

This one gives you a nice wide sound: Regen: 11, Mix: 2, Delay: 3, Mod: off

Hope you'll like it.

Archived