Heritage Owners Club

Ever Swap or Mix n Match Speakers in 2x12 Combos?

Gitfiddler

OK, so this Heritage Patriot is one bad mamma jamma of an amp as is. However, I'd like to hear from those of you who have mixed n matched different speakers in ANY 2x12 combo for different tones.

I'm thinking of dropping someting in the cabinet different than a Celestion V30. If I leave one V30 in the cab, what would be a good sonic match? The amp runs at 40 watts and is a clean machine.

Thanks in advance!

post-8-0-98665900-1327953491_thumb.jpg

I have a tone tubby 10" alnico and a 10" tone tubby ceramic in my vibrolux clone. sounds good. I had a Warehouse E65 and a Veteran in a 2 x 12" cab. sounded good but took out the Veteran and put in a Red Fang just to see how it sounded. Been playing that a while.. It takes the hemp cones a long time to break in.. Once they do it sounds really good.

I haven't changed out the speakers in any of my 2x12 amps. Only have two, and one is a 45 year old Guild with original C12Ns. The other is the Patriot which has G12 Celestions. I really like the sound of the Patriot as is, so no reason to swap out speakers.

I do pair my Marshall DSL401 with a Carvin with older BR12-8s, the 100watt ones, not the newer 75s. They have a different color, the 2x12 cab adds to the bottom, which I think the 1x12 lacks. I've also tried it with the Classic 30. I like the fullness of a 2x12 setup.

Look at the bright side, you can swap speakers all day and in the end, its easy enough to put it back to original if you don't find the holy grail.

I haven't changed out the speakers in any of my 2x12 amps. Only have two, and one is a 45 year old Guild with original C12Ns. The other is the Patriot which has G12 Celestions. I really like the sound of the Patriot as is, so no reason to swap out speakers.

I do pair my Marshall DSL401 with a Carvin with older BR12-8s, the 100watt ones, not the newer 75s. They have a different color, the 2x12 cab adds to the bottom, which I think the 1x12 lacks. I've also tried it with the Classic 30. I like the fullness of a 2x12 setup.

Look at the bright side, you can swap speakers all day and in the end, its easy enough to put it back to original if you don't find the holy grail.

That's my logic also. The Patriot needs to be turned up to truly appreciate all that it is. Since I'm playing out less these days, I was considering new sonic ground for it. If I don't like the tone, returning to stock is simple. Speaker tweaking is the simplest amp mod there is.

I have a tone tubby 10" alnico and a 10" tone tubby ceramic in my vibrolux clone. sounds good. I had a Warehouse E65 and a Veteran in a 2 x 12" cab. sounded good but took out the Veteran and put in a Red Fang just to see how it sounded. Been playing that a while.. It takes the hemp cones a long time to break in.. Once they do it sounds really good.

They call that combination an "H-Bomb." I use it on one of my combos and Really like it. I have 4x12 cabs with the H-Bomb and then two greenbacks or two V30s and another with G1275s. I've also pairred a Gold with a V30 but it's not the same. Perhaps because the gold still needs time to mellow.

The best compliment I found for the V30 is the Celestion Blue. The problem there is that you have ~30 watts of power handling on a 40+ watt engine. One must learn to be gentle.

If you order from weber they will break in the speakers for you free of charge.

the old matchless DC30's had a V30 and a G12H30 paired up, they sound great & complement each other well

I had a Weber C12N with a Wharfedale G12H ( similar to G12H30 & cheap on the used market, people tend to get rid of them who buy Voxes but they are good sounding speakers IMO ) and it sounded great

in a twin reverb I once ran a Private Jack and a V30, worked very well.....liked it better than the old Utah's

My Marshall JCM 2000 2x12 cab has a Marshall branded Celestion Heritage 30 and a Marshall branded V30. Probably the best sounding cab I have. Not sure if the wattages match on them, but I've pushed 100w cranked thru them and they just purred.

My Marshall JCM 2000 2x12 cab has a Marshall branded Celestion Heritage 30 and a Marshall branded V30. Probably the best sounding cab I have. Not sure if the wattages match on them, but I've pushed 100w cranked thru them and they just purred.

I've done it. THe TSL122 combos from some years back had two different types of speakers in them. All depends on the characteristics of the amplifier.

Yeppers!! That's the cab I was talking about. Still got it. It gets some time on the bigger stages. Mostly outdoors. But it's a good 'un.

Archived