Heritage Owners Club

Fender Super Six...taller and LOUDER than your typical combo!

Gitfiddler

The best blend of size and weight of the many cabs (too many) I have around here is the recent Fender 4 x 12 cab. It uses the same Celestions as the Marshall 1960, but is lighter and a breeze to move. I'm surprised that cabinet never caught on, but the days of Fender as a head + cab amp seem to be long gone. When it comes to Fender, most people want a combo amp, much like Vox. The worst cab I have is a Reeves 4 x 12 Hiwatt clone. It sounds fantastic but weighs a ton and is bigger than most 4 x 12 cabs. It's no wonder those Hiwatt cabs got so beat up back in the 70s when the British bands were touring; they're so awkward that they invite an accident.

The Yes band often carries a Hammond and a Leslie, which is not as bad as you might think. The worst offender in my book is the old Fender Rhodes 88. That beast is like carrying a box full of bowling balls.

The best blend of size and weight of the many cabs (too many) I have around here is the recent Fender 4 x 12 cab. It uses the same Celestions as the Marshall 1960, but is lighter and a breeze to move. I'm surprised that cabinet never caught on, but the days of Fender as a head + cab amp seem to be long gone. When it comes to Fender, most people want a combo amp, much like Vox.

Do you mean the Supersonic 412 cabs? If so, quite light for a 412.

Just converted my 112 fender combo to a head. Really like head and cab vs combo's.

I like Combos so long as they are small and very light. Otherwise... just gimme a head and cab. The Jet City head I just got is like 20lbs. The 212 I want is right at 40. Not bad at all. One is half the weight of the Cube and the other is only 5lbs heavier.

Last night while picking up my Silverface DR from an amp tech for a reverb issue, I noticed a HUGE pine cabinet over in the corner of his shop. This thing had 6 holes in it and a slot for the amp chassis. I asked him what the heck was that?!

He was restoring a '70's Fender 'Super-Six Reverb' amp combo.

I have never heard about this massive combo and could not imagine anyone using one. Stadium gigs are pretty rare these days.

It is as powerful as a Twin Reverb (100+ watts) and configured like a Super Reverb with 6 10" speakers!! I can't wait to hear this thing when he's done with the restoration.

http://ampwares.com/...per-six-reverb/

Look at the size of this monster combo!!

Super_Six_Reverb.jpg

I have a neighbor that kepps calling the cops on us, noon, 8pm doesn't matter. There are 4 houses and a church that are closer to us and they never seem to mind. We're not that loud. Maybe if I had one of those I could smooth things over with the crotchity old bastard!

Archived