Heritage Owners Club

Fender Super Six...taller and LOUDER than your typical combo!

Gitfiddler

Last night while picking up my Silverface DR from an amp tech for a reverb issue, I noticed a HUGE pine cabinet over in the corner of his shop. This thing had 6 holes in it and a slot for the amp chassis. I asked him what the heck was that?!

He was restoring a '70's Fender 'Super-Six Reverb' amp combo.

I have never heard about this massive combo and could not imagine anyone using one. Stadium gigs are pretty rare these days.

It is as powerful as a Twin Reverb (100+ watts) and configured like a Super Reverb with 6 10" speakers!! I can't wait to hear this thing when he's done with the restoration.

http://ampwares.com/...per-six-reverb/

Look at the size of this monster combo!!

Super_Six_Reverb.jpg

"

Last night while picking up my Silverface DR from an amp tech for a reverb issue, I noticed a HUGE pine cabinet over in the corner of his shop. This thing had 6 holes in it and a slot for the amp chassis. I asked him what the heck was that?!

I have never heard about this massive combo and could not imagine anyone using one. Stadium gigs are pretty rare these days.

It is as powerful as a Twin Reverb (100+ watts) and configured like a Super Reverb with 6 10" speakers!! I can't wait to hear this thing when he's done with the restoration.

Super_Six_Reverb.jpg

Yup, the guy that I've played with for a number of years has/had one of these amps ... "has" because the faceplate still says Super 6 Reverb, "had" because he cut the cab down to a 2x12 years ago because it was so heavy and hard to move around. It is a twin with 6X10s in a combo ... maybe the grand prize for the most unwieldly single piece of gear ever made?

the 8x10 cabinets are just insane. two 4x10 cabinets are much easier to carry and move around. Also I don't know how much "real" speaker coupling you get with 8x10 vs 4x10. The Ampeg cabinets are also just completely antiquated designs. Modern cabinets have a lot more space inside and are tuned lower to get much more efficient bass reproduction.

i had a HUGE Fender Cabinet back in the mid 70s.. 4x12 I think? Had a seperate head with it..Can't remember what the model was..Bandmaster? Showman? It was huge regardless!!

i had a HUGE Fender Cabinet back in the mid 70s.. 4x12 I think? Had a seperate head with it..Can't remember what the model was..Bandmaster? Showman? It was huge regardless!!

Sure it wasn`t a 4x15 ? A friend had one years ago.That was a pain to move around !

Sure it wasn`t a 4x15 ? A friend had one years ago.That was a pain to move around !

Maybe it was..I don't really remember the 70s.. :icon_rr:

Super_Six_Reverb.jpg

Looks like a lethal weapon:).

I once owned a Marshal cabinet with 8 speakers 10", I guess. Pete Townsend of The Who used to use those cabs, too.

Nah, the Super 6 is not that bad. The casters are on the side, so you just put it on the casters and roll it. Steps are a problem, but otherwise it's not much worse than a Marshall 1960 cab. The problem is that those amps were a bit top heavy, because the tube amp assembly is heavier than the rest of the cab. So they can be a bit tippy and fall over if knocked hard enough. And while knocking a speaker cab over is not bad, it's not so good when there's a tube amp inside.

Nah, the Super 6 is not that bad. The casters are on the side, so you just put it on the casters and roll it. Steps are a problem, but otherwise it's not much worse than a Marshall 1960 cab. The problem is that those amps were a bit top heavy, because the tube amp assembly is heavier than the rest of the cab. So they can be a bit tippy and fall over if knocked hard enough. And while knocking a speaker cab over is not bad, it's not so good when there's a tube amp inside.

Right, John. The amp tech I spoke with said that the Super Six can be laid on its side rather than upright.

... The problem is that those amps were a bit top heavy, because the tube amp assembly is heavier than the rest of the cab. So they can be a bit tippy and fall over if knocked hard enough. And while knocking a speaker cab over is not bad, it's not so good when there's a tube amp inside.

no prob. just swap in 6 EV speakers...

(played one of these @ Dan Torres shop in San Mateo some years ago. didn't turn it up much, but got the idea. jeeeeeez...)

the worst thing I ever owned was one of these ( not mine in the pic )...ampeg made a huge 9x10 cab...yes, nine 10" speakers...wider and even more awkward than the notorious 8x10!

ampeg_9x10.jpg

Holy SH@#$%$#TT!!!

Nah, the Super 6 is not that bad.

Spoken like a guy who hauls a Dual Showman around ... I think Bob (my bandmate) cut his down when his Volvo died and he replaced it with a little Geo. I think the Geo might have fit inside the Super Six easier than vice versa.

Guest HRB853370

Super_Six_Reverb.jpg

I have seen these on stages before Tim, I think the Derek Trucks band was using them at one point. Surprised that you never heard of them. I have a Super Six myself, but its the kind that you ride!!

post-2130-0-89734900-1328135209_thumb.jpg

post-2130-0-29165100-1328135224_thumb.jpg

Spoken like a guy who hauls a Dual Showman around ... I think Bob (my bandmate) cut his down when his Volvo died and he replaced it with a little Geo. I think the Geo might have fit inside the Super Six easier than vice versa.

I would say, put an engine in the Super Six and drive it to the gig. As far as size goes--and when your vehicle is not an issue--it's much easier on my back to roll the Showman cab around than to roll any combo amp I have. It's the bending over to push the smaller that kills ya. With the Showman you can stand straight when you push it and even pile stuff on top too.

I would say, put an engine in the Super Six and drive it to the gig. As far as size goes--and when your vehicle is not an issue--it's much easier on my back to roll the Showman cab around than to roll any combo amp I have. It's the bending over to push the smaller that kills ya. With the Showman you can stand straight when you push it and even pile stuff on top too.

I agree, and use my 2x12 cab the same way. Moves air, and doubles as a cart. Interesting tension in gear evolution between "bigger is better" and "how do I get this thing to the gig." People cut huge cabs like the 8x12 Marshalls and the SVTs in half, and in time the manufacturers followed suit. I remember moving Voice of the Theater cabs as PA mains, but the problem was the exposed horns --you couldn't stack them, they got bent, so people started building cases for them: not because they were acoustically necessary, but because of the reality of hauling the things around. Now, horns are built into cabs.

I read an interest thread on a bass gear page that argued that the 4x12 Marshall cab had established the upper limit of weight for successful equipment design. Anything substantially heavier, and people just won't buy it and haul it around in the real world. I have one bass cab, a Musicman Audiophile 2X12, which is a "gold standard" cab in the world of bass gear, and it really is a great sounding cab. But, it weighs a ton --something like 85lbs-- because of the weight of the drivers (it is actually a three way cab --also has a 5" speaker; I think the drivers are RCF.) It is a very real challenge for me to get the thing out of my house and into my truck, even using a cart. A 2x10 doesn't sound nearly as good, but at least I'm still breathing when I get there.

Archived