Heritage Owners Club

Headstock Binding Retrofit...Anyone Have This Done?

Gitfiddler

OK, I'll admit it (again)...I like blingy gitfiddles. Give me a fully bound, pearl inlayed headstock on a 150 or 535 and I'm a happy camper. Call me shallow, but I just prefer the look of the bound headstock over the unbound version.

Unless you spend the bucks for a brand new custom upgraded 150 or 535 (which I do not need) or find a used custom ordered or special edition model with a bound headstock, you're stuck with the standard black version.

My question is this. Has anyone had their standard black headstock retrofitted with full binding? If so, how much was it, who did it, and how did it come out?

And no, this is NOT intended to be yet another 'Heritage Headstock Shape Thread'. That topic is a total dead horse.

Not sure. Basically they'd have to route out a channel for it, put on the binding, and then respray the clear coat... if the routing didn't damage the finish at all. The finish I think is the big issue in this case. I have seen people retrofit bodies and headstocks before. If you were asking about fretboards, I'd say "NO" because that would be far more involved and costly, as it would entail not just a longer surface area, but also a full refret.

Personally, I'm with you. I prefer my "dead horse" to have binding. I think it just makes gives a more finished appearance. There's nothing wrong with a little bling.

As for a retrofit, you will need to cut a channel for the binding to fit into. That's probably going to be tough without destroying some of the finish. I think the binding is ABS plastic and they use an acetone/abs blend to glue the binding.

OK, I'll admit it (again)...I like blingy gitfiddles. Give me a fully bound, pearl inlayed headstock on a 150 or 535 and I'm a happy camper. Call me shallow, but I just prefer the look of the bound headstock over the unbound version.

Unless you spend the bucks for a brand new custom upgraded 150 or 535 (which I do not need) or find a used custom ordered or special edition model with a bound headstock, you're stuck with the standard black version.

My question is this. Has anyone had their standard black headstock retrofitted with full binding? If so, how much was it, who did it, and how did it come out?

And no, this is NOT intended to be yet another 'Heritage Headstock Shape Thread'. That topic is a total dead horse.

I am shallow with you Git! But I think if you are going to spend this kind of money for it why not have it tricked up?

I've never had this done. Anything can be done for a price as the old saying goes.

I have seen the veneer caps they use at the factory. I'll ask next time I'm there.

I talked to Jack at Heritage last week about doing a a 157 veneer on a 150 LW I had just got ! He said have to see it to make sure on cost could be 150 to 250 hopefully closer to 150 plus shipping both ways another 100 ish and the money has to be sent upfront to do the work! Jack is an Icon at Heritage and fixin to retire or not come in as much as he does now ! Time is short still truing to decide !! I had a 535 that was special ordered at Wolfe with as bound headstock ,Ivorized Scaller tuners and Seth Lovers and ended up sellling it over the winter and regret it ! Hoping my incoming 555 will fill the Void!

Cheers Mike

I talked to Jack at Heritage last week about doing a a 157 veneer on a 150 LW I had just got ! He said have to see it to make sure on cost could be 150 to 250 hopefully closer to 150 plus shipping both ways another 100 ish and the money has to be sent upfront to do the work! Jack is an Icon at Heritage and fixin to retire or not come in as much as he does now ! Time is short still truing to decide !! I had a 535 that was special ordered at Wolfe with as bound headstock ,Ivorized Scaller tuners and Seth Lovers and ended up sellling it over the winter and regret it ! Hoping my incoming 555 will fill the Void!

Cheers Mike

Thanks, Mike. That's not too bad, especially considering that's the approximate cost of an all wood Heritage pickguard. I didn't know the factory did any mods. Is this something Jack does on his own?

When I called the Heritage Guys said Jack is the only Luthier that does this type of alteration through Heritage . He said many famous musicians have requested this and other mods to Heritage guitars over the years ! DB is correct that the binding is only on the veneer cap so no need to do a channel in the original headstock!

Personally, I prefer the bound head stock as well. I like the appearance better but also that they're less likely to show dings and chips. I think that bit of binding provides protection.

When I called the Heritage Guys said Jack is the only Luthier that does this type of alteration through Heritage . He said many famous musicians have requested this and other mods to Heritage guitars over the years ! DB is correct that the binding is only on the veneer cap so no need to do a channel in the original headstock!

Have any of you seen photos of finished veneer headstock overlays?

Archived