Heritage Owners Club

1966 Ampeg Rocket 2

Last week I was fortunate to acquire a 1966 Ampeg Rocket 2 in brand new condition. Apparently it had been stored for years in a closed and looks like it just came out of the box. It has NOS tubes and the original Jensen speaker. I have always played through a Polytone Minibrute and have really enjoyed the clean tones, but I am blown away at the sound of this amp. The sound is amazing clear, warm and sweet.

IMG_3767.jpgIMG_3768.jpg

IMG_3763.jpg

Guest HRB853370

Awesome! My Gemini II was in that condition when I sold it a few years ago. I regret it now. Gotta love the blue tolex. Yes, get a grounded plug installed or you will feel electricity through the strings. I love those old Jenson speakers. Now get an accordion too for that accordion input.

Guest HRB853370

My oldest piece of gear is my 65 Reverb Rocket 2 with 7951 power tubes. Can't get anything better for them archtops if you like a little sag. Great score!

Early Ampegs were designed for jazz guitar and accordian and great for clean tone and I still regret selling my Gemini II

I was wondering about how I could add some reverb and keep the clarity of tone. I read about a Van Amps Reverbamate. Does anyone have any experience with it? Perhaps another suggestion?

Thanks,

Keith

Congrats on a great, vintage amp!!

As for reverbs, there are a bunch of good ones out there (Boss, Hardwire, etc.). I have an Electro Harmonix Holy Grail, but it's the original big pedal that doesn't take batteries (9 volt plug only). Now they have a smaller version that has a great reputation.

Also, our resident HOC amp guru, KBP810 makes an old school stand alone reverb that a few folks here prefer.

Enjoy that 'new' Ampeg!

Where I grew up (in NYC), Ampeg was the go to amp. You couldn't beat 'em. Today, I play through a reissue J-20 with the diamond blue tolex. I don't take it out anymore but I used to use my '65 Gemini I with the 12 inch speaker. None better. The reverb is so sweet, it could give you tonal diabetes. Enjoy making great sounds with that Rocket.

I've not heard a Gemni, although any mention of them is always with the utmost reverence. I have a friend that gigs with a tele and a Jet reissue, sound fantastic. I really think it's an under appreciated mass market amp in the market. P2P.

Still can't over this amp!

Archived