Heritage Owners Club

NGD: H535 blonde

Blunote

I took delivery on a new Heritage earlier this evening. It's a 2002 model, loaded with HRWs, and hardly a mark on her. It definately needs new strings and probably a setup; I'll know better once the neck has a chance to stablize.

8180579599_494e63b949_h.jpg

8180613502_04593a8c18_h.jpg

8180580141_f93b8408a6_k.jpg

8180613242_199c93450b_k.jpg

8180612900_4e59c1de63_k.jpg

Now, there's a guitar for all seasons. Congrats!

Thanks everybody, I think I did well. I'm really impressed that for a 10 year old guitar, there's hardly a mark on her. The bridge, saddle and tuners are a bit tarnished, but many like that look so I'll probably leave it that way.

There is a fair bit of buzz coming from the 1st fret of the D string. I get the feeling this guitar has had a lot of closet time and maybe wasn't adjusted from season to season so I relieved the truss rod 3/8 turn to see if that fixes it. Even so the slot for that string looks a bit deep, so there's a new nut or shim in it's future.

And Bird, thanks for the compliment on the photos.

I haven't yet been able to explore this new guitar fully, but I have HRW's installed in my first Heritage, a Millennium Ultra Std. It was the sight-unseen sound of that guitar being played by someone else at Elderly a few years back that stopped me in my tracks and led me to purchase it a couple of days later.

Suffice it to say, I'm a big fan of those pick-ups.

Moreover, I think the pups are versatile enough for any style of music. The bridge is clear bright and hot, and the neck is articulate and smooth. Between them you can dial in rock, blues, jazz, country and bluegrass. What they don't have is what I'll call the 'honkiness' often found in PAF style humbuckers. If you think you need that honk for blues you won't be excited about HRWs.

Myself, I've heard great blues and electric blues played well on a variety of guitars including strats and teles that don't have the PAF thing going on. So why not HRWs too?

For Jazz -HRWs would be the cat's a$$ if I were a jazz musician.

For Country & Bluegrass -They'd be outstanding.

My concern with this new guitar is how it will fit with my Millie. I'm not sure that it sounds appreciably different. However, with new strings and a proper setup, that may become more apparent.

Archived