Heritage Owners Club

Big Fender Amps

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I Laugh when I hear people say these things are "Only" 50 watts..This thing will blow the windows out before you even reach halfway up!! :icon_smile:

One Thing I have noticed, at least to my ears, is that a single 12 combo with about 30 watts sounds louder than a 50 watt 2X12..Your Mileage May Vary... :icon_salut:

I still love my Fender Prosonic. Gives me a great and warm clean tone. If I need overdrive, I use the 2nd channel, which is pretty much Mesa Boogie like. In case I want it to sound more British, I dial in my MI Audio Crunch Box and here comes the JCM 800.

Guest HRB853370

Long standing reliability issues with the model. My Delta Blues also had a tremolo issue. It worked when it felt like it. The most solid amp I've hard so far was the KBP's. I'm going to hold off selling and possibly buy a Bassman from a friend who hates it...

You never use tremolo anyways do you?

The other day, I was looking around a little guitar shop and saw two amps that intrigued me. Fender Bassman Reissue (all tube, including rectifier) and a Fender Hot Rod DeVille. Both are 4x10, 6L6 amps. The DeVille has a reverb and effects loop, as well as foot switchable channel selection. I've been thinking about a big brother to the Blues Jr, first thought was a Blues Deluxe, but now I'm wondering about even bigger, like the Grand Daddy Bassman. I think the DeVille is a souped up Bassman. Anyone own or use any of these? What's your thoughts?

My thoughts are you have it in the fingers Josh. You don't need a big amp. But if you want to or need to go for it. A modded Blues Jr does that blues thing well. And it will preserve your back's proper function.

I had a killer sounding SF twin from '73 or so

then at one point an amp tech convinced me to blackface it...it sounded like crap from then on!! he must have screwed it up or something, because everyone who plugged into that ( in stock form ) was blown away by the rich, luscious tones.

eventually sold it

but I have a replacement super reverb on the way!! woot

Funny, I have my old 73 Twin from high school. Was sold and reacquired. I blackfaced it myself (I evidently added too much stuff), came out ok though. Brought it to one of the top amp guys in NJ. 2 months later (dude's busy) holy cow, a monster. Only problem is I don't play out or need a monster so it's been sitting covered up for months and months while I grab my little Blues Jr which is great for low volume late night noodles or, on occasion, the Reverb Deluxe which rates another holy cow..

Personally, I like to use either a reverb or an echo VERY lightly to the point where it only wets the signal a little but it is hard to honestly tell there is an effect engaged. Other than that... nothing. :)

Me Too..Just a touch is just enough..I like the sound of the guitar to shine thru..

I love Reverb. It's the one effect I treasure above all others...

Reverb can make your tone muddy quick, especially in a band situation. I will take a little delay everyday, and twice on Sunday, over reverb. YMMV

I do cut the reverb way down with the band, usually let the room provide its own.,..

Yep that is definitely the way to do it. I don't understand the reasoning why delay doesn't muddy the signal or tone, but delay can be over done as well.... you just don't have to be as precise as the amount of reverb.

Guest HRB853370

Reverb can make your tone muddy quick, especially in a band situation. I will take a little delay everyday, and twice on Sunday, over reverb. YMMV

I dont see how reverb can make an amp sound muddy. In low volume situations it adds what a room with lots of furniture, carpeting and other sound absorbtion materials soak up.

Archived