Heritage Owners Club

Big Fender Amps

Depending on what you call clean, the Bassman should be fine and plenty loud. Especially into 4x10's. If you want SUPER CLEAN then maybe a Twin (Super Twin maybe) or a Roland JC120. The ST and JC can be had at very reasonable prices last I saw.

Nope, I need TMB and presence controls...

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's why I didn't like the Reverb Deluxe design' date=' the lack of mid controls was a problem for me... The Blackface era used a fixed tone stack mid control, so it wasn't adjustable...[/quote']

Gotcha. Well, like I said, the ST has those controls you want and is about as big a Fender as you get.

That's why I didn't like the Reverb Deluxe design, the lack of mid controls was a problem for me... The Blackface era used a fixed tone stack mid control, so it wasn't adjustable...

Because they got it perfect and there was a need for no stinking mid control!!! just kidding but kind of serious....

I was doing a little research on the original Bassman design. I didn't realize it's only a 40 watt amp. I wonder how it would be in a tweed 1x15 combo????

ONLY 40 watts????

Yep more clean head room then I'll ever need!

But you need to get those tubes burning or it will still sound sterile, flat, anemic.... even with cleans you want a nice big fat tone and for this tone the volume has to be up to a sweet spot.

I know... Maybe a hot plate then?

Again, just seems like you are chasing something that maybe you don't need, you will try to sell, and then lose money. I am not saying not to go for it, but saying be sure it is what you need. For example, didn't you mention in this thread you wanted an effects loop and a line out for an extension cab? The Bassman doesn't have those.

I need a bigger amp so it looks bigger on stage but I need an attenuator to make it sound like a smaller amp.....

Do you know why the Blackface Fender's didn't have a mids knob; THEY DIDN'T FRIGGIN' NEED ONE! haha.

Dude, you are perpetually unsatisfied. Get a cardboard cutout Marshall Stack and hide your Blues Junior behind it. You KNOW it sounds fine, and cuts through OK. If not, turn it up past 4. I know others will disagree, but the big amps create too much stage volume for the rare times I'm on stage. You gotta look at the big picture of what the BAND needs. If you just WANT a big amp, cool. But I think you are trying to fool yourself into the notion that you NEED one.

Again, just seems like you are chasing something that maybe you don't need, you will try to sell, and then lose money. I am not saying not to go for it, but saying be sure it is what you need. For example, didn't you mention in this thread you wanted an effects loop and a line out for an extension cab? The Bassman doesn't have those.

Depends on what I make... I am considering building one. Perhaps a head cab. Anyway, it's all talk right now anyway...

I need a bigger amp so it looks bigger on stage but I need an attenuator to make it sound like a smaller amp.....

Do you know why the Blackface Fender's didn't have a mids knob; THEY DIDN'T FRIGGIN' NEED ONE! haha.

Dude, you are perpetually unsatisfied. Get a cardboard cutout Marshall Stack and hide your Blues Junior behind it. You KNOW it sounds fine, and cuts through OK. If not, turn it up past 4. I know others will disagree, but the big amps create too much stage volume for the rare times I'm on stage. You gotta look at the big picture of what the BAND needs. If you just WANT a big amp, cool. But I think you are trying to fool yourself into the notion that you NEED one.

My guitar tech actually brings out a full stack with only half of one stack actually loaded and wired up...he is really all about the show... In my case, the BJ works fine as is, I'd like to have it as a head cab on a medium size cab....

To be honest, I cant stand small amps.

Josh, buy a big amp, you might like the feel even at lower volumes.

Face it, youve already dropped a bundle of cash tinkering around with wee amps, why not lose a bit more cash on a big amp. It might be your thing.

If its not, do what you do and flip it and carry on your merry way.

I tried liking small amps, Blues jnr DRRI HRD and AC15 and a little 30w egnater. They dont work for me and Im not a loud player. Im always asked to turn up and very rarely if ever have I been told to turn down at a gig. I like anything 50-60-100w but I wont rule out anything smaller. Some 30w badcats dont feel little.

Cant see the need for attenuation. Everyone is different and find similar sounds in different ways.

Well, my Blues Jr has been a fantastic little amp... Its been perfect for my needs, sound great at home and on stage..... My thought is I need a second/backup amp of some kind. Perhaps just find another one of those?

May I suggest this for your backup amp:

MT-H_0284.jpg?9d7bd4

I was doing a little research on the original Bassman design. I didn't realize it's only a 40 watt amp. I wonder how it would be in a tweed 1x15 combo????

"ONLY a 40 watt amp." Girlfriend, what are you looking to play, Shea Stadium? ; )

What is the advantage or disadvantage of a 4x10, 2x12, or a 1x15. Which would sound best to you with a big Fender amp?

Its a feel thing for me.

Bigger bass, more even spread of frequencies etc blah etc blah. I also like 212 cabs with a 2/3, 1/4 open back. I like v30s at a gig but not at home or quiet jams at friends homes.

Its not about volume. Its about the way it feels and the way the amp/speaker cab reacts. Smaller amps dont do it the same. They have a sound but the feel is wrong for me.

I had a crap fill in gig this afternoon and had problems with the opposing guitarist. He took one look at me loading in my Mesa LSC and 212 cab and went all "you f******* idiots and your big amps, blah blah blah" Angry stupid little man. Fortunately it was only 1hr and17mins and I could bail.

I educated the clown over the course of the two brackets about how good my 100w amp sounded at a very low volume and how fricking annoying, loud and shrill his wee amp sounded. He's been playing a long time and should know better. Maybe he's lost his high end hearing and it taints his view on how things should be .

Sorry, Im venting, its still fresh, but there are no absolutes. According to the thinking of small watts vs many watts we should all be driving little Daihatsu's.

I got no apology for the stupid behaviour other than "thats a really nice sounding amp". Well yes it is, Its got a lot of bottom end, full mids and smooth top end just like most 100w amps through a 212. Its not rocket science. It sits in the mix easily and doesnt need to be loud to do so.

Anyway that just another opinion. It worth exactly what you paid for it and your experience might be different to mine.

If the clown can get over his pride, I may have made another Mesa convert or at least encouraged him to not take such a narrow view of how things can be achieved or have to be done. Right now Im half stewing and half feeling the warm glow of vindication. It wasnt a great way to start a gig.

ha, good story

I totally agree, a 100w amp doesn't need to be loud...they do sound full & usually have far better low end than a small amp

especially as these days most people use pedals for distortion anyway, you can use a big amp & have lots of big clean sound

small amps thru a 4x12 can be glorious though, all that speaker cone area

Archived