Heritage Owners Club

Big Fender Amps

Guest HRB853370

Don't know Will.... Your dust collectors you call guitars would be a great start!

Still trying to figure out what makes you say that all the time?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another thing to consider (again, just trying to be helpful) is that when I played in Church with two other guitars (yea, I know 3 guitars plus bass is way overkill) I needed a bigger footprint. Now our Church band is keys, drums, bass, my lead guitar, and vocals. I don't need a bigger footprint because I don't need to cut through as much.

If I recall Josh, there is you on guitar, bass, drums, harp, and vocals. You might not need a bigger footprint to cut through the mix, but only you would know that.

so what's the consensus? Josh are you going to get a bassman after all?

59Bassman.jpg

Definitely cool, but $4,500 for an all original Bassman with no reverb, no tremolo......... It used to be the "Blackface" amps were the hot item 15 years ago, now the "Tweeds" are all it.

That's why I'm thinking about maybe finding a beat up Blues Junior and turning it into head cab... Who knows....

That sounds like a good idea, I use a 18 Watt Marshall variant with a closed back 2x12, and a Boogie

DC-2 1X12 combo with a 1X12 Ext Cab, and I think the extra Twelve moves more air and I think both amps

like the lower resistance on the output. Both amps use EL84s like your Blues Junior.

Some words from a mentor of mine...Mike at vintagefenderamprepair.com

The “re-issue” blackface amplifiers

When people hear the term “re-issue” used in conjunction with vintage musical equipment, the assumption is often made that the “re-issue” is an exact copy of the original, down to the very last detail. If only this were the case!

While the modern “re-issue” blackface amps might share the same schematic & cosmetics as their blackface ancestors, almost every other detail is quite different from the original. Where original blackface amplifiers were hand made in the USA using relatively high quality components, most re-issues are constructed outside of the US utilizing printed circuit board (PCB) technology, and often integrating underrated components into the circuitry. These amps are very difficult to work on (often requiring a good amount of time just to remove the chassis from the cabinet) and are prone to breakdowns and recurring problems. Many controls & jacks are physically soldered directly to the circuit board. These fragile connections tend to break over time just from the physical stress associated with turning a knob or plugging your guitar into the amp. Sometimes sooner, sometimes later, but they all eventually tend to crap out.

This website offers no compatibility with the re-issue blackface amps. None of our kits are designed to work on the re-issue blackface Fenders. If you have a re-issue, you’re on your own. Sure, they sound better than lots of the crap out there, but believe me, they eventually break down. And they can be VERY expensive to fix.

Given the current ebay prices, silverface Fenders are the best bargain out there for the tone-seeking musician. Just a little know how and TLC turns these little gems into absolute monsters. When taken care of, they will easily outlive their human owners.

If your re-issue still functions without any issues at all, our advise (from both an investors & players viewpoint) is to SELL IT and buy a silverface with the money BEFORE it breaks down. The silverface amps are rapidly appreciating in value as vintage collector pieces. In 10 years, your blackface re-issue won’t be worth squat (if it still works), but your vintage silverface Fender should be worth a good deal more than what you paid for it. Blackface re-issues depreciate the second you walk out of the music store with them.

I apologize if I sound blunt or harsh, but there you go. I do have a biased opinion on the subject… (my ears & wallet)!!!

On the other hand, the TWEED RE-ISSUES are reportedly all hand-wired and made right here on US soil. So far the examples I’ve heard sound great, and are close replicas of the originals. A MUCH better deal for the investor & tone hound alike…

I order my recap and blueprinting parts from Mike, here.

I did share about my blackline silverface super reverb with the original blackface circuit. But two-three days ago this came to my porch...

http://www.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

Sometimes it just pays to go into short term debt for a long time love...but even this one was not perfect, I needed to order a blackface speakr harness for it, the present setup causes two speakers to work far harder than the others, potentially damaging if turned up. This was a living room amp. provides a decent reference silverface SR tone right now, but i will be blueprinting and VOS retubing this one too, have to say that the blackface circuit appears to be simpler and easier to work on.

So what do those BF reissues sell for? Around 1400-1500 new. Check out the auction pics...Which amp would YOU rather own??

Guest HRB853370

Some words from a mentor of mine...Mike at vintagefenderamprepair.com

The “re-issue” blackface amplifiers

When people hear the term “re-issue” used in conjunction with vintage musical equipment, the assumption is often made that the “re-issue” is an exact copy of the original, down to the very last detail. If only this were the case!

While the modern “re-issue” blackface amps might share the same schematic & cosmetics as their blackface ancestors, almost every other detail is quite different from the original. Where original blackface amplifiers were hand made in the USA using relatively high quality components, most re-issues are constructed outside of the US utilizing printed circuit board (PCB) technology, and often integrating underrated components into the circuitry. These amps are very difficult to work on (often requiring a good amount of time just to remove the chassis from the cabinet) and are prone to breakdowns and recurring problems. Many controls & jacks are physically soldered directly to the circuit board. These fragile connections tend to break over time just from the physical stress associated with turning a knob or plugging your guitar into the amp. Sometimes sooner, sometimes later, but they all eventually tend to crap out.

This website offers no compatibility with the re-issue blackface amps. None of our kits are designed to work on the re-issue blackface Fenders. If you have a re-issue, you’re on your own. Sure, they sound better than lots of the crap out there, but believe me, they eventually break down. And they can be VERY expensive to fix.

Given the current ebay prices, silverface Fenders are the best bargain out there for the tone-seeking musician. Just a little know how and TLC turns these little gems into absolute monsters. When taken care of, they will easily outlive their human owners.

If your re-issue still functions without any issues at all, our advise (from both an investors & players viewpoint) is to SELL IT and buy a silverface with the money BEFORE it breaks down. The silverface amps are rapidly appreciating in value as vintage collector pieces. In 10 years, your blackface re-issue won’t be worth squat (if it still works), but your vintage silverface Fender should be worth a good deal more than what you paid for it. Blackface re-issues depreciate the second you walk out of the music store with them.

I apologize if I sound blunt or harsh, but there you go. I do have a biased opinion on the subject… (my ears & wallet)!!!

On the other hand, the TWEED RE-ISSUES are reportedly all hand-wired and made right here on US soil. So far the examples I’ve heard sound great, and are close replicas of the originals. A MUCH better deal for the investor & tone hound alike…

I order my recap and blueprinting parts from Mike, here.

I did share about my blackline silverface super reverb with the original blackface circuit. But two-three days ago this came to my porch...

http://www.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

Sometimes it just pays to go into short term debt for a long time love...but even this one was not perfect, I needed to order a blackface speakr harness for it, the present setup causes two speakers to work far harder than the others, potentially damaging if turned up. This was a living room amp. provides a decent reference silverface SR tone right now, but i will be blueprinting and VOS retubing this one too, have to say that the blackface circuit appears to be simpler and easier to work on.

So what do those BF reissues sell for? Around 1400-1500 new. Check out the auction pics...Which amp would YOU rather own??

So far, no issues with my 3 BF reissue Fender amps. I am crossing my fingers.

Holy Moly that SUPER looks righteous my man! I would love to play a Bigsby'ed Gretsch through that reverb!!!

My thirdhand Heritage H516 was done up to look like a Gretsch before I sniped it , TV Jonesed, trans orange finish, wood PU rings and wood grain plastic trussrod cover, bigsby, master volume pot added, Gretsch pickguard added. When it arrived it barely passed audio, so I had to order an RS guitar works super pot to fix it. there is more clarity to the sound of this guitar than similar looking real but non custom shop Gretsches, but...it got boogered also. A hole was cut into the back for control access, a home made cover plate does not affect the tone. Still sounds great, think I will plug in Retchin' Gretschen (thanks to Yoslate for helping to name her!!!) and make some joyful noise...Thanks for the suggestion!

post-1585-0-21856000-1354850019_thumb.jpg

My thirdhand Heritage H516 was done up to look like a Gretsch before I sniped it , TV Jonesed, trans orange finish, wood PU rings and wood grain plastic trussrod cover, bigsby, master volume pot added, Gretsch pickguard added. When it arrived it barely passed audio, so I had to order an RS guitar works super pot to fix it. there is more clarity to the sound of this guitar than similar looking real but non custom shop Gretsches, but...it got boogered also. A hole was cut into the back for control access, a home made cover plate does not affect the tone. Still sounds great, think I will plug in Retchin' Gretschen (thanks to Yoslate for helping to name her!!!) and make some joyful noise...Thanks for the suggestion!

Retchin' Gretschen, haha, I love it. Leave it to Rob!! He's a recently retired English teacher, and I've made the mistake of getting into "pun wars" with him, and have had my A$$ handed to me.... Oh, yeah, he's a lot of fun to hear play guitar, too!

what this thread needs is a quote from Terry Mcinturff!!

what are his thoughts on the reissues vs vintage?

As you can imagine from Terry being a guy still playing 70s R&R, I think he prefers non-master volume Plexis from that era.

what this thread needs is a quote from Terry Mcinturff!!

what are his thoughts on the reissues vs vintage?

Love John! Love Terry's guitars! But Chris...LMAO!! Given the arc of this thread, the comic timing was perfect! And Brian, you give me way too much credit...but thanks!

That's a cool looking guitar is the H516 totally hollow???? I'm assuming that it isn't due to the ABR style bridge? I would like that guitar!

What TV jones are they? Are they humbucker sized Filters?

I love Gretschs but it took me a long time to figure out what I needed. I started with a Double Anniversary, and that had too much feedback,

then I moved onto a DuoJet, that one had a great crunch, but I wanted more hollow body tone, so the I got a Chet Atkins. It is the perfect

Gretsch for me. I changed the bridge so that it matched the radius of my neck and that is the only mod I've done to it. It has just the right

amount of Gretsch tone or what I want to hear. I think I may remove the Standby switch and put in a Master Tone pot. This Gretsch has

a Bigbsy that stays in tune, which I can't believe as I normally HATE dealing with Bigsbys.

Here it is, and to keep this thread on track, in the second photo it is sitting right by 64 Deluxe Reverb...

Gretsch6122-1962.jpg

StageRigSnowbirdAtrium.jpg

Oh, MY Oh MY Oh MY!

Wow!

Ummm, Retchin' Gretschen has a floating block under the middle of the top. Bridge is Schaller roller, Pu's are a mixture of powertron and filtertron, to be honest I can't remember their positions. I'm thinking that the wood PU rings were possibly a necessity, not sure if the PU's fit in HB rings or not. I have written in the past that she can sing sweetly in church clean to bluesy, but put her on bridge only and crank the gain into some crunch, she rages and screams like a drunken gutter slut. She loves to be played through my el34'd 50w HRM as well as my 100 watt SSS clone, truly a spectacular, amazing instrument, activating the bigsby gently sends her into sweet, chordal harmonics that just sing and sing forever through that amp, easy to control that with my Hilton Volume pedal. She loves the Suber Reverbs, they are rich uncles to her d-clone nephews. Feedback can get overdone, but also can be controlled tastily with practice and certain PU height and pole piece adjustment to voice both string to string balance as well as feedback harmonic content. She looks bling-y on stage. Gets compliments on looks and sound every time she is on stage. Holds tune well.

Sounds like you have a beast of a setup there, and even more so now t hat you scored a good Super!

The way you describe the tone of yours is pretty much that same way I'd describe mine especially the part about the bigsby and the chordal harmonics.

Although I don't use mine for lead guitar work, I much prefer Les Pauls for that. The reason I was drawn to Gretschs is that they are the only electrics

that I like when I have to play one of my singer/songwriter rhythms that I normally play on acoustic guitar. I love my Chet when playing in a band context,

and I love the layout of how the volume knobs are easy to reach even with a Bigsby, and I always ride the volumes.

Wow, you really did Gretsch that Heritage out! Sweet!

That's a cool looking guitar is the H516 totally hollow???? I'm assuming that it isn't due to the ABR style bridge? I would like that guitar!

What TV jones are they? Are they humbucker sized Filters?

I love Gretschs but it took me a long time to figure out what I needed. I started with a Double Anniversary, and that had too much feedback,

then I moved onto a DuoJet, that one had a great crunch, but I wanted more hollow body tone, so the I got a Chet Atkins. It is the perfect

Gretsch for me. I changed the bridge so that it matched the radius of my neck and that is the only mod I've done to it. It has just the right

amount of Gretsch tone or what I want to hear. I think I may remove the Standby switch and put in a Master Tone pot. This Gretsch has

a Bigbsy that stays in tune, which I can't believe as I normally HATE dealing with Bigsbys.

Here it is, and to keep this thread on track, in the second photo it is sitting right by 64 Deluxe Reverb...

Gretsch6122-1962.jpg

StageRigSnowbirdAtrium.jpg

Nice setup!

Is big' date=' clean, and loud asking too much?[/quote']

Depending on what you call clean, the Bassman should be fine and plenty loud. Especially into 4x10's. If you want SUPER CLEAN then maybe a Twin (Super Twin maybe) or a Roland JC120. The ST and JC can be had at very reasonable prices last I saw.

Archived