Heritage Owners Club

Big Fender Amps

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a feel thing for me.

Bigger bass, more even spread of frequencies etc blah etc blah. I also like 212 cabs with a 2/3, 1/4 open back. I like v30s at a gig but not at home or quiet jams at friends homes.

Its not about volume. Its about the way it feels and the way the amp/speaker cab reacts. Smaller amps dont do it the same. They have a sound but the feel is wrong for me.

I had a crap fill in gig this afternoon and had problems with the opposing guitarist. He took one look at me loading in my Mesa LSC and 212 cab and went all "you f******* idiots and your big amps, blah blah blah" Angry stupid little man. Fortunately it was only 1hr and17mins and I could bail.

I educated the clown over the course of the two brackets about how good my 100w amp sounded at a very low volume and how fricking annoying, loud and shrill his wee amp sounded. He's been playing a long time and should know better. Maybe he's lost his high end hearing and it taints his view on how things should be .

Sorry, Im venting, its still fresh, but there are no absolutes. According to the thinking of small watts vs many watts we should all be driving little Daihatsu's.

I got no apology for the stupid behaviour other than "thats a really nice sounding amp". Well yes it is, Its got a lot of bottom end, full mids and smooth top end just like most 100w amps through a 212. Its not rocket science. It sits in the mix easily and doesnt need to be loud to do so.

Anyway that just another opinion. It worth exactly what you paid for it and your experience might be different to mine.

If the clown can get over his pride, I may have made another Mesa convert or at least encouraged him to not take such a narrow view of how things can be achieved or have to be done. Right now Im half stewing and half feeling the warm glow of vindication. It wasnt a great way to start a gig.

The highest wattage amp I had was a Peavey Valveking 112. That was a 50 watt 1x12. I loved the clean, full tones it had. It was fine at home. I think a Bassman will work just as well...

Josh, I don't think its just a matter of watts. My Classic 30 (30w)1 x 12 and DSL401 (40w) 1x12 both sound a little anemic by themselves. I added an old Carvin 2 x 12 extension and it fills out the bottom and gives a more open sound. The Patriot (45w) is a 2x12 and packs a lot more punch. No need to add an ext cab. In the basement, they are all plenty loud, its a matter of balance. I doubt that I ever use more that 10 watts out of any of these amps.

You can use a more efficient speaker and get more dB per watt. Put 4 of them together, and you get plenty of sound and clean headroom to boot.

Check out this page about the use of multiple speakers. It gives you some idea about how different speakers will compare.

http://www.dinosaurrockguitar.com/new/kb/cabs-speakers/speakers/role

Guest HRB853370

I need a bigger amp so it looks bigger on stage but I need an attenuator to make it sound like a smaller amp.....

Do you know why the Blackface Fender's didn't have a mids knob; THEY DIDN'T FRIGGIN' NEED ONE! haha.

Dude, you are perpetually unsatisfied. Get a cardboard cutout Marshall Stack and hide your Blues Junior behind it. You KNOW it sounds fine, and cuts through OK. If not, turn it up past 4. I know others will disagree, but the big amps create too much stage volume for the rare times I'm on stage. You gotta look at the big picture of what the BAND needs. If you just WANT a big amp, cool. But I think you are trying to fool yourself into the notion that you NEED one.

LMAO

Guest HRB853370

My guitar tech actually brings out a full stack with only half of one stack actually loaded and wired up...he is really all about the show... In my case, the BJ works fine as is, I'd like to have it as a head cab on a medium size cab....

I wish I had my own guitar tech.....or bass tech....or drum tech..............hee hee

Guest HRB853370

The highest wattage amp I had was a Peavey Valveking 112. That was a 50 watt 1x12. I loved the clean, full tones it had. It was fine at home. I think a Bassman will work just as well...

And let me guess...you sold it??

Guest HRB853370

This thread is almost comical!! Lets see, I dont play stadiums, I dont even get to play clubs very often on guitar. I have a Peavey Classic 50, yeah, its heavy but with the 2x12 configuration, I have all the volume I need, but I can dial it down to a whisper. My Delta Blues at 30 watts does it all too. Josh, its so sad that you have had some pretty nice amps in the last year or so...but they are all gone. Where does the search end for you? Are you looking for that pot of gold at the end of a rainbow?

I vote for one of these

PS400-5-2.jpg

and an attenuator

into this

The%20CHAV%20Speaker%20cabinet%20under%20construction%20on%20the%20kitchen%20table.JPG

That's cool Bolero! 6 @ 5881 power tubes into what appears to be a 6in speaker. I have the same dish towel here to use as tolex. It's not right that we lost him.

And let me guess...you sold it??

Long standing reliability issues with the model. My Delta Blues also had a tremolo issue. It worked when it felt like it. The most solid amp I've hard so far was the KBP's. I'm going to hold off selling and possibly buy a Bassman from a friend who hates it...

Long standing reliability issues with the model. My Delta Blues also had a tremolo issue. It worked when it felt like it. The most solid amp I've hard so far was the KBP's. I'm going to hold off selling and possibly buy a Bassman from a friend who hates it...

TRY IT FIRST, get a 72 hour trial period, gig it and see if it fits your needs..... then you won't lose money again if you don't like it. But I stress, try the amp with the band if even during practice. At home you won't know if the amp fits into the band context. What sounds good in the bedroom, often sounds awful in the band setting.

That's cool Bolero! 6 @ 5881 power tubes into what appears to be a 6in speaker. I have the same dish towel here to use as tolex. It's not right that we lost him.

hah!

those are 6550 power tubes....I believe that's the most powerful amp Fender ever built? if you read the back panel it says "power output 435 watts"

o.O

TRY IT FIRST, get a 72 hour trial period, gig it and see if it fits your needs..... then you won't lose money again if you don't like it. But I stress, try the amp with the band if even during practice. At home you won't know if the amp fits into the band context. What sounds good in the bedroom, often sounds awful in the band setting.

Great advice John. The owner is a friend of mine, so I'll ask to borrow it and if I like it, I'll buy it! Now, I really need to find a cabinet....

Archived