Heritage Owners Club

Big Fender Amps

The other day, I was looking around a little guitar shop and saw two amps that intrigued me. Fender Bassman Reissue (all tube, including rectifier) and a Fender Hot Rod DeVille. Both are 4x10, 6L6 amps. The DeVille has a reverb and effects loop, as well as foot switchable channel selection. I've been thinking about a big brother to the Blues Jr, first thought was a Blues Deluxe, but now I'm wondering about even bigger, like the Grand Daddy Bassman. I think the DeVille is a souped up Bassman. Anyone own or use any of these? What's your thoughts?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a bassman reissue and a super reverb (silverface). I have heard that Jim Marshall based his amp layout off of a Fender bassman. The super reverb has a blackface clean sound, lush reverb and vibrato. Both took pedals well. The weight of the bassman didn't bother me that much (the super is much heavier). I also had a hot rod deluxe, similar to the deville with 4 10s

If you got a good reverb pedal, I would probably get a bassman reissue again. The layout is good tube sockets are wired. I think the Hod Rod Deville is too much amp and as I recall it had three overdrive modes Drive, Drive that Sucks, and Drive that sucks even more. Never could dial in their overdrive circuit but a good box in front of it will get you there. Might want to do some internet history on reliability. I seem to recall a problem with the devilles. After looking at all of these, I made my mind up and KBP build me the Reverb Deluxe w/ 2 10"" speakers in it. Half of a super and LOUD!......

Sounds like your ready for another one of Brians Amps.

I have heard that Jim Marshall based his amp layout off of a Fender bassman.

I think the Hod Rod Deville is too much amp and as I recall it had three overdrive modes Drive, Drive that Sucks, and Drive that sucks even more. Never could dial in their overdrive circuit but a good box in front of it will get you there.

You are right, he worked off of a Bassman.

The whole HRD series is "too much amp". I've actually gotten usable tones out of the drive channel but it isn't easy. I think it is better with single coils. Buckers overpower the dirty channel and all you get is this grinding gravely blast of sound. It does get better with a Texas Heat speaker though. And you are again correct, it is much better to use an OD pedal on the clean channel. It takes pedals better than most every amp I have heard. I love my HRD (mine's a Deluxe), mostly because of the clean channel.

I think the Hod Rod Deville is too much amp and as I recall it had three overdrive modes Drive, Drive that Sucks, and Drive that sucks even more.

Even with an AY substitute for AX, in the preamp, it still sounded like the speaker was fashioned from a sheet metal and glass laminate. I've never owned an amp for that short a period of time...week-and-a-half, I think.

I had a killer sounding SF twin from '73 or so

then at one point an amp tech convinced me to blackface it...it sounded like crap from then on!! he must have screwed it up or something, because everyone who plugged into that ( in stock form ) was blown away by the rich, luscious tones.

eventually sold it

but I have a replacement super reverb on the way!! woot

The other day, I was looking around a little guitar shop and saw two amps that intrigued me. Fender Bassman Reissue (all tube, including rectifier) and a Fender Hot Rod DeVille. Both are 4x10, 6L6 amps. The DeVille has a reverb and effects loop, as well as foot switchable channel selection. I've been thinking about a big brother to the Blues Jr, first thought was a Blues Deluxe, but now I'm wondering about even bigger, like the Grand Daddy Bassman. I think the DeVille is a souped up Bassman. Anyone own or use any of these? What's your thoughts?

I think your Chiropractor would love you if you bought either of these amps and did anything more than haul it home and leave it in one spot. All of my music stuff is in the basement. I've owned 2 different 212 Deville's at different times, both used for around $400, and:

a:) very heavy; not fun to move.

b;) very loud; goes from 0-60 with barely a nudge on the volume knob.

c:) "drive" and "more drive" channels are useless.

d:) I don't recall what speakers were in mine, but I'll disagree with Rob (this may be the only time you ever hear me say that!) and say that I thought the 6L6 clean tone, with reverb, was one of the sweetest, buttery-ist sounds I'd ever gotten out of an amp. Much better reverb than you can get out of the little tank on the Blues Junior. Much cleaner cleans than you can get with the el84s on the Junior. Much "bigger" sound than you can get with the small cabinet on the Junior.

e:) that said, my advice: keep the Junior, buy a used Mustang III for $200 for gigging. Light, and can do those the Bassman, Deluxe Reverb, Princeton Reverb, and a bunch of weedly-weedly amps, too!

I've thought about the Mustang III. I still have my concerns with computer boards.... To me, an amp is like a car... You can buy a simple mechanical car or one with all the bells and whistles. The simple cars are easier to fix and last the longest. All the bells and whistles eventually fail and become too expensive to repair....

I've thought about the Mustang III. I still have my concerns with computer boards.... To me, an amp is like a car... You can buy a simple mechanical car or one with all the bells and whistles. The simple cars are easier to fix and last the longest. All the bells and whistles eventually fail and become too expensive to repair....

Dude, you don't OWN an amp long enough for it to fail! haha. Seriously, though, at $200 (used) or $254, brand spankin' new when you can get an online 15% discount, WHAT do you have to lose?! They aren't built like tanks, but take care of them, and they will last you a few years at least. When's the last time you kept an amp for 3 years?! The Fender warranty is 5 years... I guarantee the warranty would be longer than your attention span would allow you to keep it. The one thing I wish Fender did on these is to replace the plastic input jack with a "real" Switchcraft or something similar. FWIW, they use the same cheap plastic jacks on the Hot Rod series, as well, or at least they used to. I had BillM replace mine with a solid jack when he did all the other work to my Junior.

...but I'll disagree with Rob (this may be the only time you ever hear me say that!) and say that I thought the 6L6 clean tone, with reverb, was one of the sweetest, buttery-ist sounds I'd ever gotten out of an amp. Much better reverb than you can get out of the little tank on the Blues Junior. Much cleaner cleans than you can get with the el84s on the Junior. Much "bigger" sound than you can get with the small cabinet on the Junior.

Should have clarified that I was referring to the overdriven tones, Brian. Cleans were fine! I was very disappointed in the overdrive. That having been said, I must mention that my "new" '66 Bassman head really gets it done, even through just a 1x12 cab. The super Super, straight, no chaser, or the 150's with a Tube Screamer, Full Drive...or both, gets me every tone I could ever want.... I could (but won't) get rid of every other amp I own.

Guest HRB853370

Screw the Chinese made throwaway junk DB and dont fall for that crap. I agree with your concept of "more frills, more to go wrong". But its so funny you started this thread at 10:28 last evening. I hit the sack early last night (10ish) and had a wild dream about gassing for a Bassman RI amp. They are suitable for bass guitar, arent they??

Guest HRB853370

They were designed for basses originally...

I guess once guitar players heard them, they became more popular as a guitar amp? Nice to know that they are dual purpose and you wont blow out the speakers with a bass guitar. I dont dare plug a bass guitar into a conventional guitar amp!

I had one of the first Bassman reissues in the early 90s.... sounded good, BUT......

Big to move around with the 4x10 and VERY LOUD!!!!

I doubt you would gig it for the above reasons.

I had one of the first Bassman reissues in the early 90s.... sounded good, BUT......

Big to move around with the 4x10 and VERY LOUD!!!!

I doubt you would gig it for the above reasons.

Guess I should take that in consideration since I rarely turn my Blues Jr past 4 on the volumes....

Guess I should take that in consideration since I rarely turn my Blues Jr past 4 on the volumes....

Do like the way the amp you have sounds? And you aren't in need of more power? Why are considering buying a bigger version of something you already have, but don't need the power.

I could understand if you wanted a completely different type of amp (Vox, Marshall- you been there, blackface Fender- you have been there), ..... Why don't you save your money for a Heritage that you say you want?

Guest HRB853370

Do like the way the amp you have sounds? And you aren't in need of more power? Why are considering buying a bigger version of something you already have, but don't need the power.

I could understand if you wanted a completely different type of amp (Vox, Marshall- you been there, blackface Fender- you have been there), ..... Why don't you save your money for a Heritage that you say you want?

Not to mention that they are around $1400 new and thats alot of cash!

The amps I've seen I can buy for less than $500. However, I'd like to see my amp pushed through a bigger cab, so instead of messing with the Blues Jr, perhaps just an amp with a bigger cab would be nice. One major difference with the Bassman over the Deluxe Reverb design is the presence and Mid control. It doesn't exist with the Deluxe Reverb design or other smaller Fender amps.... Perhaps I should just find an old Blues junior in Tolex covering, gut it out and put it in a head cab and buy an extension cab....

Back on topic, here.

Recently joined the Fender big amp club. Bought a '68 super reverb with a couple blown speakers and what I was told were circuit issues for 350 cash. It ended up running and sounding great with a retube and removing a SS rectifier plug from the tube socket and putting a real tube in there. Then I saw a "9" '81 Silverface Super Reverb with JBL's, on eBay, I bit.

The '68 is a blackface circuit, the '81 is a silverface circuit, and for the same model designation, I was quite surprised by the difference in the guts of the two designs, they should definitely be called by different model names.

I'm starting off by blueprinting the blackface, that means precise and balanced resistor values to the preamp and power tubes. Also doing a full recap, that includes filter and cathode caps. Parts on order. Then I'm going to rework the vibrato to get rid of the ticking, and get the reverb to work in both channels, when I'm done with that the channels will no longer be out of phase with each other, so I will be able to jumper them with my a/b/y box. Easy to reverse the mods back to completely stock. With that setup the amp will behave like a 3 channel amp.

The Silverface? I'm torn on that one. I started out by ordering a blackface speaker harness, the one in mine causes two speakers to work much harder than the others. Not sure if it's stock, if it is, it's poopy. But even with a complement of all JJ tubes and bad harness function, this amp does the Silverface clean thang, beautifully. has a fat, nasty grind dirty thanks to the master volume. The JBL's aren't ice picky either, despite the aluminum dust domes.

I'm convinced that the two designs need to be treated differently inside the guts to bring out each's best features. The silverface looks like it will be more tricky than the blackface to work on.

There is NO comparison with one of these and any reissue amp in the tone department... The old school wipes the floor with the new kids.

I have a nice, inflatable big fat tire dolly that lays down like a cart...and am installing a chair lift for the staircase comiing up from the basement...and not for just these, I like low wattage speakers with big heavy magnets and high wattage speakers with big heavy magnets I also like looking at women with big...ah, never mind.

Screw the Chinese made throwaway junk DB and dont fall for that crap. I agree with your concept of "more frills, more to go wrong". But its so funny you started this thread at 10:28 last evening. I hit the sack early last night (10ish) and had a wild dream about gassing for a Bassman RI amp. They are suitable for bass guitar, arent they??

Dang! Swinging for the fences! That was bold and beautiful. I do feel for the gentle joshing that DB is getting in this thread, deserved or not. I grew up being last picked in recess in elementary school...before 5 years of wrestling in HS and College.

Let's talk about value...now if a person goes through Chinese made modern production amps like kleenexes, it doesn't matter. I'm glad we live in such a rich environment where so many choices are available for the other half of our Heritage guitars.

I'm seeing vintage SR's in black and silver, on the bay for prices less then the new reissues. And the daddy of tone for big amps, from USA to Eurotrash, the Bassman, in certain models, go for least of all in comparison to the eminently breakable and inexpensively non repairable reissue frauds.

Friends shouldn't let friends have crappy tone. 'Nuff said.

Guest HRB853370

Since I cannot afford the vintage Fender Big Twins and SR's, I have a couple of RI's that do just fine. And they don't weigh anymore than the bass amp I am schlepping around these days!

Archived