Heritage Owners Club

Info request... Extension cab related

big bob

I just curious, what wattage extension cabs do you mate with what wattage head.

It will really help me out if you would be so cool as to list yours.

I'll start

120 watt sound city head with a 200 watt weber 2 x 12, 100 watt weber axis ceramic (fane copy)

It depends if you want the speaker to add some color or be transparent. Most often, cabs are twice the wattage of the amp, but in some cases the speaker helps with the tone. My Super Sonic is a 60 Watt with a 30 Watt Celestion. I think the amp sounds great.

It depends if you want the speaker to add some color or be transparent. Most often, cabs are twice the wattage of the amp, but in some cases the speaker helps with the tone. My Super Sonic is a 60 Watt with a 30 Watt Celestion. I think the amp sounds great.

I'm just curious as to what pairing you guys have.

I use either a Framus 212 cab with V30's or a Mesa 112 3/4 cab with C90 with what ever amp Im using whether its just a head or a combo.

I have other cabs, one is a 1922 marshall 212 that despite being made out of MDF it sounds pretty good. It has a G12m and a G12h in it.

I also have an early 80's fender 212 cab that is probably the heaviest cab Ive ever lifted. Its like a black hole for mids. Regardless of what speakers you put in it, even the most mid heavy, it just produces a scooped mid sound. I dont know how that works.

Steiner what's in those dual 4x12 stacks?? lol

I used to have two Hiwatt 4x12's & a DR504 but cleared them all out...that was a good match though!! wow...just gobsmacking

-->I kept two cabs to use with the big heads: '65 Marshall super PA ( same circuit as a jtm45/100), '66 Traynor YBA1 (50w ), '70 Traynor YBA3 ( 100w ), '67 Garnet BTO ( 100w ), 70's Garnet Deputy 50w

'68 Marshall 4x12 B cab loaded with 4x eminence private jacks

'81 Marshall 4x12 A cab loaded with 4x scumback 65w 75Hz lead cones

I use an open/closed back 4x10 with a mix of scumback & weber alnico's for the 30w heads

also have a Boogie 4x12 but it's going on the block soon...

I have Marshall 4x12 from around 2000 with the G12T-75s, a Mesa Lonestar 1x12 open back with a Hellatone 60 in it and an Ampeg GVT 1x12 with a Vintage 30 in it. For being pretty much the same speaker, the Mesa sounds much better than the Ampeg, but there are a million reasons for that being the case. I will say the Chinese built Ampeg is a solid cab though, Well made and none of that particle board business. I may change the speaker in it to a greenback or maybe something from Eminence or Scumback though. The Marshall just sounds like a good, broken in Marshall. I guess you either dig that sound or you don't.

I have a Mesa Mark V (90 watt) and a Tubemeister 18 (18 watt). The Tubemeister sounds good the the two 1x12s and the 4x12, believe it or not. I haven't tried pushing them with the Mesa yet. The Mesa through the Marshall sounds pretty cool to me; I've always liked that sound. The Ampeg is 30 watts, the Mesa 60 watts, and the Marshall 300 watts. The Hellatone is definitely a clearer speaker, so maybe that is the extra 30 watts of rating at play.

It's all pretty run of the mill I guess in my case, but you are welcome to get together with me any time and check any of the above out for yourself, Bob.

Steiner what's in those dual 4x12 stacks?? lol

I used to have two Hiwatt 4x12's & a DR504 but cleared them all out...that was a good match though!! wow...just gobsmacking

-->I kept two cabs to use with the big heads: '65 Marshall super PA ( same circuit as a jtm45/100), '66 Traynor YBA1 (50w ), '70 Traynor YBA3 ( 100w ), '67 Garnet BTO ( 100w ), 70's Garnet Deputy 50w

'68 Marshall 4x12 B cab loaded with 4x eminence private jacks

'81 Marshall 4x12 A cab loaded with 4x scumback 65w 75Hz lead cones

I use an open/closed back 4x10 with a mix of scumback & weber alnico's for the 30w heads

also have a Boogie 4x12 but it's going on the block soon...

There are 5 Soldano 4x12s. One of the 4x12s is stock with Eminence X12000, two are loaded with X'd G12T-75s and Tone Tubby H-bomb (1 AlNiCo & 1 Ceramic), one is loaded with X pattern X12000 and Celestion V30 and Celestion Gold, the last has the H-bomb, Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-H30. Then there's a Bogner 4x12 w/ V30s (stock) and two road cabs 4x12 with god only knows what Celestions.

Beyond those, I have 3 Soldano 2x12, a Crate 2x12 (road gear), 11 combos (the Vibro King has a 2x12 extension) and 4 homemade solid Cherry wood cabs - 2 @ 2x12, 1 2x10 and a 1x12. There are two more cherry wood cabs I completed late last fall still awaiting lacquer finish. They don't have speakers loaded but I have a few in reserve.

I went a little crazy with the speaker trials. For a while I had 3 Avatar vintage 2x12s (2 closed back and 1 open back) and a switch that allows 2 cabs to be connected to 1 amp for trials. It's a good life...

Mesa-Boogie Traditional Slant 4x12 with four Celestion V30s, along with an Avatar 2x12 loaded with a pair of Warehouse speakers--one is the Veteran 30, and the other is a British Lead.

All of the above is powered by a Marshall JCM2000 DSL50.

Personally, I prefer to size my rig so the speakers aren't blown out by the amp. I have a 2x12 with a Scumback M75 and WGS Veteran or Retro 30 in it. Together, they are rated at 140 watt capacity. They're driven by my Guytron GT 100.

Ordinarily, you might think this would be a safe pairing....except that the GT100 which is presumably a 100 watt amp, puts out 200 watt of power as measured. More than enough to limit the lifespan of my speakers.

Even so, next time I have the back off the head, I'll be removing 2 of the 4 el34 tubes. That should cut the power by half.

So, I would recommend having the specific amp measured first.

I use either a Framus 212 cab with V30's or a Mesa 112 3/4 cab with C90 with what ever amp Im using whether its just a head or a combo.

I have other cabs, one is a 1922 marshall 212 that despite being made out of MDF it sounds pretty good. It has a G12m and a G12h in it.

I also have an early 80's fender 212 cab that is probably the heaviest cab Ive ever lifted. Its like a black hole for mids. Regardless of what speakers you put in it, even the most mid heavy, it just produces a scooped mid sound. I dont know how that works.

What a co-ink-e-dink. I also use a Mesa 112 3/4 cab w/C90. It's usually connected to a Mk IV wide body combo.

Also use a matching Fender Deluxe ext. 112 cab connected to a Blues Deluxe tweed.

At home I connect my 15 watt Champ II to a Carvin loaded Celestion V-30. That is one of my tone favorites!!!!!

There are 5 Soldano 4x12s. One of the 4x12s is stock with Eminence X12000, two are loaded with X'd G12T-75s and Tone Tubby H-bomb (1 AlNiCo & 1 Ceramic), one is loaded with X pattern X12000 and Celestion V30 and Celestion Gold, the last has the H-bomb, Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-H30. Then there's a Bogner 4x12 w/ V30s (stock) and two road cabs 4x12 with god only knows what Celestions.

Beyond those, I have 3 Soldano 2x12, a Crate 2x12 (road gear), 11 combos (the Vibro King has a 2x12 extension) and 4 homemade solid Cherry wood cabs - 2 @ 2x12, 1 2x10 and a 1x12. There are two more cherry wood cabs I completed late last fall still awaiting lacquer finish. They don't have speakers loaded but I have a few in reserve.

I went a little crazy with the speaker trials. For a while I had 3 Avatar vintage 2x12s (2 closed back and 1 open back) and a switch that allows 2 cabs to be connected to 1 amp for trials. It's a good life...

You all know how every now and then we can feel some light earthquake tremors here in Michigan, even though there are no major active fault lines within the state? Well, that "10" they were talking about on the news wasn't referring to the Richter Scale (if Steiner ever finds knobs that go to 11, seek shelter immediately)

amp-knob.jpg

Guest HRB853370

You guys are making me feel sick. I need to buy some big assed cabinets. Heading down to Music Go Round this week.

You all know how every now and then we can feel some light earthquake tremors here in Michigan, even though there are no major active fault lines within the state? Well, that "10" they were talking about on the news wasn't referring to the Richter Scale (if Steiner ever finds knobs that go to 11, seek shelter immediately)

:icon_salut: Will do :laughing7:

I've seen you use the Cherry 2x12 the most... is that your favorite, or does it all depend on the amp your using?

Thanks for the replies, the reason I ask is that I'm soon to be receiving a 40 watt head and ill need to set up a cab.

I was/am a little concerned about using the 200 watt 2x12, not that anything would be damaged by the match but rather what will serve the 40 watt head the best. Funny thing is that the 2 x 12 cab that is recommended for it comes with two eminence red white and blues, which I believe are 120 watts each. I would like to try a lower power less efficient speaker set up as well.

Thanks for the replies, the reason I ask is that I'm soon to be receiving a 40 watt head and ill need to set up a cab.

I was/am a little concerned about using the 200 watt 2x12, not that anything would be damaged by the match but rather what will serve the 40 watt head the best. Funny thing is that the 2 x 12 cab that is recommended for it comes with two eminence red white and blues, which I believe are 120 watts each. I would like to try a lower power less efficient speaker set up as well.

Depending on the sound you are looking for, consider a pair of Jensen C12N's. That's what came stock with my 45 watt Heritage Liberty and they push a lot of air, and have great tone!

Liberty cabinet specs:

Speaker Cabinet: 2x12 open back, pine cab. Width: 28" x Height: 20"x Depth: 11.25". The cab is loaded with 2 Jensen C12N 50 watt speakers, wired in parallel for 4 ohm.

Archived