Heritage Owners Club

Are there any "golden years" for Heritage guitars?

skydog

I know there are good ones and not so good ones in every model/every year, but was there a particular time when the wood was really flowing and some really great ones were produced?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha what he said

They've been consistently good in my experience

Another reason I switched to Heritage from Gibson: they build a standard model of a guitar and do it well

Unlike Gibson who dilutes the les paul line with oodles of price point variations and quality

And then they invented the custom shop...which is a joke because that's how they should make all their guitars

But I digress

They all seem to be well made. I have three early ones and a new H-125 that is the cat's pajamas. They make a good guitar period.

I agree that the brief period between 1985 and today are the golden years.

Y2kc

If I had to say what the golden years were, I'd say it was the last eight or ten.

I've read reports here that there were some years during the 90s where quality control got a little lax. I also prefer the SD and HRW pickups and tonepros hardware on recent guitars better than the standard schallar pickups and hardware on earlier ones.

Guest HRB853370

the absolute best were madebetween 1985 and 2013

Well said! Or any models that either Marv, Jim, JP, Bill or Ren had anything to do with would be GOLDEN!

Yes, we are in the golden years now, while the starters of the company are still there.

Bolero, I am with you all the way on what you say about the Gibson Custom shop. What you get out of there should be what you get when you buy a Gibson, period. And, for the prices, they should be no more than the standard models. I had never thought of Gibson diluting their line because I don't pay any attention to their cheaper rubbish, for the same price I can buy far superior guitars from various makers.

Stay away from the Heritages before 1985 and those produced after 1985 in Nashville.

Just kidding.

Stay away from the Heritages before 1985 and those produced after 1985 in Nashville.

Just kidding.

because the word is that they are only assembled in America....!

LOL..

Just kidding.

I guess we should ask someone who's played every model from every year. I suspect the answer will be something like, "Every guitar has its own characteristics, tone, touch, finish, and unique woods. The darn things have personalities and the same one can be perfect for some, but not for all."

My personal perspective is they made me a perfect Eagle Classic in 1998 and it now has perfect Seth Lovers added to make it perfectly unique.

The flaws are in my fingers.

The H555 and two H575s I used to own were perfect. But every solid-bodied Heritage I've owned (one H157 and three H150s) has had some finish flaws; I believe they were made around 2006. It's not that they didn't play or sound good; they did. But I feel they pay more attention to detail with their semi- and hollowed body guitars than with their solid-bodied guitars.

OK, flame suit on! :violent5:

The H555 and two H575s I used to own were perfect. But every solid-bodied Heritage I've owned (one H157 and three H150s) has had some finish flaws; I believe they were made around 2006. It's not that they didn't play or sound good; they did. But I feel they pay more attention to detail with their semi- and hollowed body guitars than with their solid-bodied guitars.

OK, flame suit on! :violent5:

Sorry Eric, I can't agree with this statement.

3 of my 4 150s are flawless. Mine are circa '04, '06', 07, 08.

Guest HRB853370

3 of my 4 150s are flawless. Mine are circa '04, '06', 07, 08.

Would you please ship me the one thats not flawless? :icon_salut:

Would you please ship me the one thats not flawless? :icon_salut:

Ah, no!

It is the P90 GT, which was my first 150. It had some finish checks and that could have happened during shipping. That 150 sounded SO good I had to buy 3 more!!!

I'm happy that most of your guitars are flawless. I'm sure ones owned by some others are flawless as well, as I've seen.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the same experience.

I'm happy that most of your guitars are flawless. I'm sure ones owned by some others are flawless as well, as I've seen.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the same experience.

Every guitar I own has the same dang flaw!

Me.

As time goes on, I predict that the so-called Heritage Golden Years might be the time when all of the original founders were still building guitars. 1985 - ????

In the meantime, enjoy the fruits of their labor. Order your special custom made guitar from the masters on Parsons Street.

One thing that is definitely better recently is the fret leveling (due to the Plek machine). Heritage used to have mediocre fret finishing. However, some of the real early heritages had superior mahogany neck wood. Early Heritage also used to sometimes use very flame-y maple on lower models.

One thing that is definitely better recently is the fret leveling (due to the Plek machine). Heritage used to have mediocre fret finishing. However, some of the real early heritages had superior mahogany neck wood. Early Heritage also used to sometimes use very flame-y maple on lower models.

... but they don't use no stinkin' Plek machine! I heard that they even sold it. I don't think it had been operational for about 7 or 8 years. Some dealers (like Jay Wolfe) can do the Plek adjustment.

As good at a Plek job can be, its not the only way to bet a superb playing guitar. My 140 plays great and it was never pleked. My 150 had a nut issue and some fret buzz. The 525 was Pleked by a luthier and it is sweet. But as much as I love my Heritages, none of them is close to my Melancon, which is impeccable and was all hand done.

Archived