Heritage Owners Club

NAD.... welll it was a month ago... and 'The One' has been found

Usually, you go out and choose an amp or guitar. Sometimes, they choose you and, if you are receptive, you go in directions you never had an inclination to go.

A few years ago, I bought a guitar (H575) that didn't make a tone of sense with what I was trying to do musically but I just couldn't ignore it. So, I bought it and, within a year, my playing was dramatically changed stylistically. I went from a more rock based style of play to something that was increasingly leaning to old school jazz.

After that, I set out to find an amp that I just thought was perfect for the guitar. A few of you guys have witnessed this but I went through amp after amp. ...after amp. Well, I had some good amps for sure but there was just something missing from all of them. Not bad amps by any stretch, but just something missing. Well, last year I wandered into a store and spent a few hours kicking around a few Mesa amps. They all were great. No doubt. The one that stood out to me for jazzier sounds was the Express 5:50. At the time, though, I was looking for something that was a bit more of a swiss army knife and each Mesa did something exceptionally well but none seemed to make me happy at all of them. The Mark V was far and away my favorite of the gainier amps. The Express and TransAtlantic were my favs for the cleaner stuff. The Express in particular just stood out as an amp that would probably be wonderful for jazz but since the TA-30 (TransAtlantic) did better with gainier stuff, I tended to look more at it.

Well, time went by and I all but forgot about the amps I knew I couldn't afford. Eventually, as I was about to move, I put up some amps that were gathering dust up for sale in the interest in getting rid of anything that didn't have to do with my jazz training. Right at that time, Mark put up the Express 5:50 he had. I posted on that thread and I quickly got a message from him saying he'd be willing to ship to me since I apparently buy all of my amps from him. haha. Anyways, I sold the amps and I got the amp. .... a month ago.

Here it is (Mark, I changed the grill :D )

20130822_063417_zps80e09d75.jpg

I liked it immediately. However, over the next few days, I would dial in the tone I liked. Then... I bumped it down to 5w. I was in tonal nirvana. I found myself lingering on notes certain ways at it seemed the amp was telling me how it needed to be played. I didn't see it at the moment, but the Express was talking to me the way the Heritage did. A couple of weeks later, Summertime (an jazz standard) I noticed had distinct flavor to it that I had NEVER taken much interest in as I felt I just didn't connect with it. Sure, it was still rooted in jazz, but it had a VERY blues glaze on it. Blues?! ME?! Where in the *&%^ did that come from?! I've never played a blues anything in my life. I am quite serious. Now, it may have been VERY watered down blues or blues based in someway but it was definitely not in the genre of blues.

Well, the amp spoke and I listened just as I listened to the Heritage. I found my 'the one'.

These are pair that will be my tools for studying jazz.

20130822_063751_zpse662b0b0.jpg

I love when an instrument/ amp takes you to a different place, when a tone or feel inspires and guides to a new musical landscape.

It was cool to hear of your journey with the Heritage and the Mesa.... good stuff.

Congratulations, Barry! I wouldn't have thought that a Mesa would be the choice for Jazz, but that shows what I know about Mesa (AND Jazz, for that matter...) I wish you the best on your musical journey. I know you are busier than a one-legged man in a butt-kickin' contest, but I also know that you are a serious student of the guitar. I wish I could have your dedication. I simply substitute THAT with seeing something else shiny and cool that should make make better, RIGHT?! :laughing7:

I've said it time and time again those little Mesa Amps got something going on, circuit boards and all.

My DC2 rocks! And yes, I have more than my share of vintage amps, but I just like those little Mesas.

But, and this is a big but, I never use the dirty channel! I just like the clean channel with my pedal

board. Hell I don't even know where the footswitch is:)

Top2andTheBoogie.jpg

Thanks, everyone!

That's great Barry, you will have to shoot us a clip. Would love to hear it.

It's in the plans. I gotta get some new strings and get a new cable. Mine has an intermittent issue. Hey, I got 12 years of constant use. Can't complain.

Congratulations, Barry! I wouldn't have thought that a Mesa would be the choice for Jazz, but that shows what I know about Mesa (AND Jazz, for that matter...) I wish you the best on your musical journey. I know you are busier than a one-legged man in a butt-kickin' contest, but I also know that you are a serious student of the guitar. I wish I could have your dedication. I simply substitute THAT with seeing something else shiny and cool that should make make better, RIGHT?! :laughing7:

Although Mesa is hardly a sleeper brand, I do think, as a jazz amp, Mesa is very sleeper. Weight definitely doesn't help its cause with jazzers. No denying that. At 54 lbs, not many want to lug that guy from gig to gig on public transportation. I totally get that.

I've said it time and time again those little Mesa Amps got something going on, circuit boards and all.

My DC2 rocks! And yes, I have more than my share of vintage amps, but I just like those little Mesas.

But, and this is a big but, I never use the dirty channel! I just like the clean channel with my pedal

Top2andTheBoogie.jpg

I know exactly where my footswitch is: in the footswitch pouch in the back with the cable. It isn't likely to ever come out unless I lose a pick in there and just HAVE to get it. This amp will likely never leave the Clean setting on Channel 1. I did when I initially got it, but the Clean on 1 just far and away what I wanted. Blues on 2 isn't bad at all. That might be the only place I venture outside of Clean on 1 but I'd have to spend some time tweaking that one.

Lee Ritenour uses Mesa amps.

"I found myself lingering on notes certain ways at it seemed the amp was telling me how it needed to be played. I didn't see it at the moment, but the Express was talking to me the way the Heritage did."

My experience with jazz amp tone is similar to yours. I tend to believe that part of the experience is due to tube nirvana, I do like and play ss amps as well and I get great tones, but not quite at the ssame high nirvana level.

Top2andTheBoogie.jpg

Love the Mesa, but I have to ask, what kind of tele is that? That looks really cool!

Dan do you use the FX loop, or go right into the front? And what do you think of the 'verb? And if you had to choose between this and a F-30, which would it be? And what is your favorite ice cream? and...oh sorry, got carried away.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got an email from guitar center indicating that they are closing out a bunch of mesa boogie amps, such as the express 5:50, which is being replaced with the 5:50 plus. I think i saw a price of under $700.

Yeah man. Good price. Right on the money for what I have been looking for. I am not saying it will be the last amp I own, but I really see this being a keeper unless the quality of it lends itself to breaking down... which I don't see being an issue. It has held up thus far through a couple of owners and Mesa just isn't known for putting out garbage, so... I am fairly confident it will sticking around.

Archived