Heritage Owners Club

New Heritage Day and New Amp Cabinet

RhoadsScholar

Lookin' Good, Bob! I've had that Kalamazoo doctor cure my G.A.S. a time or two also. Is your name routed into the wood? I really like how that turned out.

Greg had this done. It appears to be wood-burned in but subtle. Steiner is the expert there. Snapped a few more pics. Can't believe the quilted maple all over this guitar, quite stunning.

IMG_1152_zpsad8b38c0.jpg

Here are the craftsmen, Steiner(Greg), Tom, and their sidekick Bud.

Can't say enough good things about Steiner's work. If you were wondering what to get for Christmas, I would recommend a cabinet for one of your favorite amps. He does great work. And they are priceless. The best way to pay for priceless guitars and priceless woodworking is with Heritage Guitars as they start out priceless...

The Cherry used was actually from a tree they had cut down right on the property of their Woodshop. Lot's of good flamed Cherry, detailed woodgrain. Here are a couple of close-ups

IMG_1146_zpsb12afa75.jpg

IMG_1148_zps458bffd0.jpg

IMG_1154_zpscf3540c0.jpg

Couldn't pass up the opportunity to brag about Steiner's work. The Concert is a 60 Watt Rivera era (80's) amp combo that I wanted to put into a 2-10 cabinet/head combo. Turned out perfect.....

I’m a tad embarrassed about the virgin cab color. Like the way the top has aged and darkened into a nice buttery yellow on his American Eagle, the cherry wood will also darken to a gorgeous, deep, natural tan.

I understand why Ethan Allan and other large, furniture makers use wood stain. The big boys get their wood from many trees and because they cannot insure the pieces all come from the same tree, they have to stain in order to give the wood a dark, aged look, mask any blemishes and insure that wood from different trees age to a consistent color. I used to stain cabs; it gives wood an immediate tan. What I’ve come to notice is that cherry darkens naturally over time and that stain masks the true, natural color of the wood. It also masks the joinery that I work so hard to create; the finger joints and dovetails just morph into the same color as the surrounding pieces.

RhoadsScholar’s cabs are made from wood from one tree. Better yet, the wood comes from adjacent boards. Because of that, their color will be consistent throughout time. So, like the white spruce on a new archtop Eagle, these cabs will become more beautiful every day. The wood’s aged color is a nice, caramel tone that is characteristic of cherry. Above and beyond that, it has some of the best curl, chatoyance and cross grain I’ve ever seen. The dark spots that come out in photos are intrinsic to the curl in the wood. As you walk around past these cabs, the colors move, akin to a hologram.

While I thought that the American Eagle appeared over the top in print, the guitar is a sight to behold. The scale of decoration is very subtle and tastefully accomplished. The top has a beautiful, tight grain that aged magnificently. The sides and back are such a deep, 3-D quilted pattern that it seems you can drink from them. The top and back are tapped tuned and it shows. The guitar is very alive and resonate unplugged. The neck fits like a glove. There I am in wood shop attire, playing this beautiful guitar, thinking I have to give it up before I get sawdust in the F-Holes while my other half is devising the finances I’ll have to work out to make an offer. His guitar is truly the cumulative result of the experience found in Kalamazoo.

True works of Art!

I've been to both shops and there is a lot of good wood going on at both.

Get your minds out of the gutter.

Archived