Heritage Owners Club

Amp guru question

Trouble

Crackling, static noise coming from amp and seems to be caused by vibrations in the room and floor/bandstand. I haven't had time to try and work on it yet and probably won't get to it till next week but thought someone might have an idea where to look first.

It's Peavey Valveking. It's going to be replaced soon but would like to keep it for a practice rig.

The 66 Super is coming out for the gig tonight!

I had some snap & crackle and it was coming from the power tubes. Replaced the power tubes and now she is purrring again.

Yes on PCB, I will try tubes as soon as I have time.

Tap them individually with a chopstick when the amp is on and turned up, you might identify a single microphonic tube quickly that way.

Crackling, static noise coming from amp and seems to be caused by vibrations in the room and floor/bandstand. I haven't had time to try and work on it yet and probably won't get to it till next week but thought someone might have an idea where to look first.

It's Peavey Valveking. It's going to be replaced soon but would like to keep it for a practice rig.

The 66 Super is coming out for the gig tonight!

Peavey Valveking? Run brother... It's blowing you V1 preamp to which it won't stop. The PCB board is too tiny to repair. I know what I talking about. I went through three of them before I gave up. It's its under warranty, take full advantage and get different amp. They sound great, but the reliability outweighs the tone... Find a new practice amp.

Peavey Valveking? Run brother... It's blowing you V1 preamp to which it won't stop. The PCB board is too tiny to repair. I know what I talking about. I went through three of them before I gave up. It's its under warranty, take full advantage and get different amp. They sound great, but the reliability outweighs the tone... Find a new practice amp.

Hopefully not... but this is indeed exactly what DB's valve king was doing - kept burning up half of V1, and it had fairly similar symptoms to what your describing. Though it wasn't necessarily that it was too tiny to repair, in his case the amp (or was it amps?) was still within the return timeframe and we concluded it was better to just return it then to dive into it any further; though make no mistake, I was relieved that it was returnable, I was in no way looking forward to working on that board.

I of course would follow Kuz's and H's advise though before worrying if it's the above; highly plausible that it's just a good ol' fashioned tube going bad.

....if I had a choice between a '66 super and a peavey valveking, I wouldn't be using the valve king!!

:D

+ a gazilion!!!!!!!!

....if I had a choice between a '66 super and a peavey valveking, I wouldn't be using the valve king!!

:D

The Super is easily the best sounding amp I've ever had, but I really don't like hauling it around any more than I have to. Lately I've been using the KBP tweed and the Valveking together, the Valveking has a pretty nice bottom end, and it keeps me from putting wear and tear on the Super. If the Valvking is done it's still been well worth the money I put in it, I've been planning on buying a new gig amp, leaning towards a Carvin V3.

Thanks everybody, I'll let everyone know if I fix it..... or junk it. :icon_thumleft:

I had some "Snap, Crackle and Pop" back a few months ago. Turned out it was the guitar cable that was bad. Soldered on a new connector and Whallaahhhhh. No more SC&P. Easy test, just try another cable.

Most times , pre amp tubes. Power tubes last for years. Best amp on the market,, rockitt retro!! I have 3 soon to be 4. Hand wired 68 plexi, and he makes others. Kevin is always a phone call away . I wouldn't buy anything else. My 2 cents!

I finally got a chance to tinker with it, I had a set off 5881 tubes and stuck in the Valveking, shazaam! No noise.

Gonna order some new 6l6's and should be good to go. I've decided to by a new head, probably a Carvin V3m. So quite soon the Valveking will be back to a strictly practice amp, and the Super will be back in the living room, and the natural order will be restored!

P.S. when I checked the 6L6's that were in the Valveking (pencil test), they both seemed microphonic, one much more than the other but I could hear them both through the speaker.

Is it odd for both of them to go together? Should I expect more trouble?

If they are microphonic have you swapped in a new set...and biased them?

That's where I'd start.

Tube amps can be tricky to debug. I always begin with tube swapping...since I know absolutely nada about much else! :icon_smile:

I had a set of 5881 tubes that have never been used, I stuck those in just to see if the noise went away. I'm going to order new 6L6's and then bias.

Archived