Heritage Owners Club

I'm spoiled

PunkKitty

I decided that I wanted a small amp with a master volume and reverb that I could use with my classes. So I picked up a Fender Mustang I on sale. I also picked up one of the cheap Line6 amps from MF.

After playing with both of these, I've decided that THEY SUCK.

They just don't have the tone that my all tube Kustom Defender v15 is capable of. I couldn't stand playing through them.

I've been spoiled by tube amps. Solid states just won't do anymore.

I'm selling both of the solid states.

Guest HRB853370

I decided that I wanted a small amp with a master volume and reverb that I could use with my classes. So I picked up a Fender Mustang I on sale. I also picked up one of the cheap Line6 amps from MF.

They just don't have the tone that my all tube Kustom Defender v15 is capable of. I couldn't stand playing through them.

Can you return them?

What kind of classes do you attend?

No. He meant $35. That's what they were selling for.

It's not worth the postage to return them. I'll sell them locally or donate them and take the tax deduction.

I take ensemble classes at The Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago. I usually take the punk ensembles. As far as they are concerned, punk is folk music.

I thought about getting one of those Line 6 amps which plays complete backing tracks (like 12 bar blues so you can practice soloing) and then letting it run by itself while using a different amp for the guitar. I'm not sure if that is a good idea or not yet.

Not another thread of solid state vs. tube amps. :laughing7: PK, there are good SS amps. Just be prepared to spend what you would on a good tube amp. I once saw an upper tier lounge guitarist bi-amping between the two to achieve desired tones depending on the music he was playing. He was not using cheap amps though. I have often thought about doing the same my self. My experience cheap amps give one a cheap sound.

I'm spoiled too.. Now that I've had the chance to crank my new Princeton Reverb, there is no going back!! LOL

there's a lot of love on this forum for the fender SS amps, and I agree with you, I just don't see it and every time I've tried them, I feel the tone sucks. Plus there's always funky things going on with all those sampled sounds and settings, bleed through, things not working right. can't be bothered. There are enough small tube amps that sound really good like my vox ac4 tv.

there's a lot of love on this forum for the fender SS amps, and I agree with you, I just don't see it and every time I've tried them, I feel the tone sucks. Plus there's always funky things going on with all those sampled sounds and settings, bleed through, things not working right. can't be bothered. There are enough small tube amps that sound really good like my vox ac4 tv.

Well said!

I guess I'm spoiled too, I have tube amps from 8 watts to 50 watts, but I also have an old 15 watt SS Crate that actually isn't bad for what it is, it's pretty good clean, the dirty channel isn't great but the clean channel and reverb are pretty good and works pretty well for an acoustic. My Grandfather has been using it with an Ovation at his church for years now.

Part of my natural disposition is to barrack for the under dog. I can find love and appreciation for some of the weirdest and cheesiest gear. Its conflicting when the underdog is a hideous little critter with no charm and little cheese.

Barrack:

Austral./NZ
give support and encouragement to.

I have two SS amps and can't remember the last year I played either of them. IMO it's all about the attack and the sag. I feel more connected. Nothing to do with the sound. Can you imagine Hendrex, Cream, Beck, Page, Bloomfield getting that tone, timber and feeling without big valves? So I guess I'm spoiled.

Guest HRB853370

I have two SS amps and can't remember the last year I played either of them. IMO it's all about the attack and the sag. I feel more connected. Nothing to do with the sound. Can you imagine Hendrex, Cream, Beck, Page, Bloomfield getting that tone, timber and feeling without big valves? So I guess I'm spoiled.

Sure I can. Its all in the fingers Spectrum you know that. Your sag is just because your old. :icon_salut:

My first try at posting Sound Cloud so if it doesn't work ignore this post. This was done with a ss amp; see it you think it lacks "tone."

Listen on Soundcloud.com

Classy, tasteful and toneful.

As someone here said before, it's in the fingers. And if it ain't there, no amount of amps, pedals and guitars will produce it.

I bought one of the specials on this Line 6 amp, and I found it a lot of fun . For a $100 amp to have all of the effects ( reverb echo phaser flanger tremolo etc ) and four amp models ,pretty cool features for that .

I've used the clean channel a little with the phaser or other effects going, but use mostly the crunch channel or the metal . It's a blast for a hundred dollar amp with some cool high gain stuff to play with.

It's a versatile little amp for that kind of money. No... the 8" speaker isn't gig worthy or able to keep up with my larger amps, but it's a fun practice amp.

And when they did $34 shipped and included a gig bag, tuner, headphones, peg winder, set of strings , picks, strap ( all low grade, of course ) ....That was a crazy deal.

My first try at posting Sound Cloud so if it doesn't work ignore this post. This was done with a ss amp; see it you think it lacks "tone."

Beautiful and skillful work. The tone was very good and even the reverb was good on that SS unit as well. But think of what that same session would have sounded like running through a Twin. Now don't get me wrong, I like SS amps. They have their place. I have one that I like alot. But the sag from tubes yields a voice like response that is hard for transistors to equal. I use my SS amp when I need quality sound at low volumes, easy set up, or light weight moving around.

Archived