Heritage Owners Club

Long scale H575 custom build update

jimsoloway

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh man, how exciting. The in-process photos are so beautiful, the finished instrument is going to drop dead gorgeous! Can't wait to drool over the next set of pics. Congratulations.

What gauge of strings for the C# tuning, and is it in normal intervals like this (C#, F#, B, E, G#, C#)? What got

you into this type of tuning? And you must have a pretty full range amplifier to reproduce the C# clearly!

I depends on the guitar and strings. With my plank guitars, I use 12 to 54 (GHS Brite flats with a GHS Nickel Compund for the low string). With an arch top, I use a standard set of Thomastik Infield Swing Series flat wind 12's (12 to 50).

I've been playing almost exclusively solo jazz finger style for almost 20 years and I think that tuning down makes it sound warmer and fuller. For many years I played a 7-strng with an added low A string so when I went back t 6-string I missed the added bottom end and began experimenting with tuning down. I settled on C# because it's as low as I can get a guitar to go with a 25.5" scale length without having to serious bulk up the strings. I plays a bit looser than you would expect from a typical set of 10's tuned to standard pitch on a 24.75" scale length (so very loose for a jazz setup) but I also play with a super light touch. My volume is pretty low most of the time and because I'm playing so light most amps will handle it without too much trouble. Right now I;m plugged int a VHT Special 6, a 6 watt single ended 6v6 tube amp with 1 10" speaker. It amazes me how well it;s handling things.

In real life, it's going to be a really interesting blend of vintage and modern. Obviously the finish, the single pickup and simple appointments have a vintage look but it also has locking tuners, a 25.5" scale length with big frets, a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF. Hard to know for sure until it's in my hands, but have a hunch this going to be just a wonderful guitar and with so many of the features and specs chosen specifically for my personal needs and wants, my hope is that it will feel like an old friend right out of the box.

That is just a fascinating guitar and concept. Your explanation of how you got there makes perfect sense. Hope this guitar fits the bill for you. One thing for sure, it sure is pretty!!

Agreed. Thanks for the thread, explanation and inspiration!

Enjoy that one….It's amazing!

I can't get over that this guy who designs and builds top shelf guitars gets just as excited as the rest of us HOC "consumers" over a new Heritage build.

Hey, it's a guitar built to my exact specs. We built somewhere around 400 guitars but that's still the most exciting thing I know of. :)

Archived