Heritage Owners Club

150 or 357?

DetroitBlues

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to own a 357, or Firebird V, or even a non reverse firebird,

but I'd have to go with the 150. I've never played a firebird type guitar other than a Gibson 70s Tribute,

and I've always owned a Les Paul, or LP type guitar.

That's a tough question. If you are asking about a one and only stage guitar, then it would depend on the type of band you were in. A blues band you could get away with the 357 and mini's, but a rock band or a band that covers different music jandras you would need the versatility of the 150 with full sized HB's. In your case I think you would love the neck and tone of a 357 with throback pickups SLE-101 MXV 4 wire and coil tapped. I know that was not one of the choices, but that is my answer.and I'm sticking with it.

I have a question for those who have answered 150, have you ever played a 357?

I tried a Thunderbird briefly and didn't like the way it hung on me (conflict with beer gut) and the neck seemed a little distant. Not really a fair evaluation; not enough time to justify a "yes I've tried one" responce. I almost bought one of those clearance Thunderbirds as a novelty. Generally speaking, I've never liked the look of that design, with the exception of Marv's 357's where you can see all the different types of wood in the neck-through design.

Asside from that, I've always thought that Thunderbirds were among the ugliest guitars on the planet (next to a Telecaster) but they are certainly worthy of respect. No offense to T-Bird/H-357 fans, I just don't like them (generally speaking). That is just a personal preference thing so it has nothing to do with the guitar itself as a legitimate instrument. And yes, I do feel that having a good looking guitar is at least a little bit important in addition to it playing and sounding good.

ps: My spell checker doesn't work when I'm in the office. We are using a really old browser version.

I tried a Thunderbird briefly and didn't like the way it hung on me (conflict with beer gut) and the neck seemed a little distant. Not really a fair evaluation; not enough time to justify a "yes I've tried one" responce. I almost bought one of those clearance Thunderbirds as a novelty. Generally speaking, I've never liked the look of that design, with the exception of Marv's 357's where you can see all the different types of wood in the neck-through design.

Asside from that, I've always thought that Thunderbirds were among the ugliest guitars on the planet (next to a Telecaster) but they are certainly worthy of respect. No offense to T-Bird/H-357 fans, I just don't like them (generally speaking). That is just a personal preference thing so it has nothing to do with the guitar itself as a legitimate instrument. And yes, I do feel that having a good looking guitar is at least a little bit important in addition to it playing and sounding good.

Does that by inference leave offense to Tele players? .............. :laughing7:

Love the headstock on the 357's, but never fell in love with the body. If I had enough cash flow to own one, I sure would. But do not think it would ever be a main stage player for me. Ah hmm .... Tele's aside, I'd have to go with a 150 for this exercise.

Love the headstock on the 357's, but never fell in love with the body.

I like the headstocks on the Thunderbirds which look like a huge combat knife blade, like a Ka-Bar knife, with those big fat tuning heads in the middle of the headstock.

357's come stock with humbuckers

I would choose a 357 with humbuckers over a 150 with humbuckers

they are super comfy, have a built in elbow rest :D and NO NECK DIVE. Marv prefected the firebird design with the 357

150.... I played Brent's 357 at PSP, just after he took delivery on it. First one I'd laid hands on. I'd never own one...just not me. However, I was astonished at how light it was, and how great it played and sounded. I think there's a PSP video clip of me noodling on it. It was a fabulous instrument!

I've not played the FB--have a 150. Stock choice would have to be abt going w. what I know. IF I could put the HB in the FB, I might go w/ the FB, I'd guess I'd have to play both to see.....Just not a fan of the Mini HBs for same reasons people talked abt here--cool, but just a bit too limited.

I have a question for those who have answered 150, have you ever played a 357?

I had an early 90's Gibson Firebird for a couple of years. I'm basing my preference for the 150 on that really. Assuming identical hardware on both (tuners aside), I'd pick the 150.

Speaking of H-357, I understand that a guy that used to play bass for Metallica has a 357 on order. I'm sorry but I can't mention any names.

Well, it isn't Cliff Burton, and Robert Trujillo is still playing bass for Metallica... so that kinda narrows it down, doesn't it?

Archived