Heritage Owners Club

Pickup change

cobo

Just recently bought a 2010 H-140 from DetroitBlues and am really enjoying it! I haven't figured out exactly why yet, but it's significantly easier to play compared to my American Standard Strat. I realize the shorter scale helps with bending notes, but the bigger surprise for me is that my RIGHT hand is able to find the correct string much more often than when I play my Strat. I never noticed this when I owned an H-535 a few years ago. Whatever the reason, I'm happy because I'm finally nailing notes that I have usually struggled with for years.

One issue, and it's of course highly subjective: The factory-installed Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck is too dark and muddy for my taste. The bridge pickup is pretty good and sounds great through my Boss Blues Driver 2 + early 70's Fender Princeton Reverb. Among lots of guitarists I like, I'm particularly a fan of Mark Knopfler and the tones he gets from his Strat and '58 and '59 Les Paul's. You can listen to a sample of what I'm referring to here:

www.number6photo.com/pickup/knopfler_les_paul_tone_mix.mp3

I know a lot of any artist's tone comes from the fingers and technique, but there's a certain clarity and honky/woody character to Knopfler's neck pickup that is just not present in the SD '59 neck pickup on my H-140.

So, I'm in the market for an upgrade. After a great conversation with Jon at ThroBak, I'm considering his recommendation for a set of SLE-101 Plus. Any comments or other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Virtually all my guitars have Throbak SLE101s. Clear, articulate, yet creamy. Becareful though, you will want them in ever Humbucker guitar you own.

I never touched any of the pots on the 140, everything is original to the guitar. Except perhaps the strap lock buttons I forgot to swap. Oh well. I recently had that guitar set up and it had the nicest action out of any guitar I've played. I'm glad you enjoy it. I only liked the neck pickup without a pedal on clean settings or else its a bit muddy. I'd suggest either a higher pot or a pickup that uses an Alnico II magent.... Seth Lovers are my favorite pickup.

Fan of the Seth Lovers here too, but all the pickup's mentioned are good. I might add the Bare Knuckle Mule's also.

You probably already tried this, but just in case. Adjust pup height. Try lowering away from strings. There's a sweet spot for every decent pickup and volume. But maybe just the wrong pickup for that particular guitar.

Big fan of Throbaks, my last two Heritage builds came with them.

Ask Josh AKA Detroit Blues what the tone and volume pot values are on your 140. There was a time 225 Parsons used 250K

Had the cover off this morning. The tone pots are 500k.

The Peter Green Seymour Duncan Custom Shop pickups I put in my H150 sound great (i asked them not to flip the magnet though).

This is what they sound like in my guitar, and you can hear me flip though the pickup selector...

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-weldon-1/peter-green-pickups-in-h150

The Peter Green Seymour Duncan Custom Shop pickups I put in my H150 sound great (i asked them not to flip the magnet though).

This is what they sound like in my guitar, and you can hear me flip though the pickup selector...

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-weldon-1/peter-green-pickups-in-h150

That's some might fine pickin' and a grinnin'!

The magnet swap could be your best first step. What do you have to lose?

I've got Seth Lovers in an H150 that initially arrived with SD59s. The guitar had been advertised as having Seths, but playing the 59s I was seriously wondering if I should swap them out. I'm glad I did. The Seths are excellent.

If you swap the magnets, I'm sure they'll have added clarity, but you may not get the slightly micro-phonic character the unpotted seths have but it may be just what you're looking for.

BTW, I've heard WCR pickups are very good and offer vintage tones and clarity. Every post I can find seems to rave over them.

I'd be interested if anyone here has experience with them.

http://jimwagnerpickups.com/darkburst.html

Archived