Heritage Owners Club

New Heritage pricing vs new Gibson pricing

heritagefan7

I know that we have hashed this time and time again. However, recent scouring of Gbase, Heritage dealers and ebay (new & online as there are no H dealers w/in a few hours of Greenville) has really astounded me when it comes to price tag of a new guitar. I know that wolfe has the plain top 150s for $1800....that's a bit lower than most other new 150s I have seen.

It's hard not to compare G & H of course as history is so intertwined. LPs are readily avail at any GC and are not cheap---but comparing prices, the LP Standard new and the 150 new flip flop for top price tag depending on where you shop.

Even used--esp on Ebay, the two are close. I consider the LP Traditional more in line with the 150 as the standard has been reincarnated a few times. In this case. CLEARLY this is not true for the LP custom (new). The 157 is MUCH more affordable and of course--IMO--a better guitar. In any case, I was surprised at the pricing and comparison that I found b/w these 2. I don't want to pay such prices, but in the end am happy to see Heritage considered by retailers in this light--esp in comparison to their counterparts.

Just what I'm seeing...

All I can contribute to this discussion is that I could not not have purchashed my last two guitars from Gibson at any price., unless maybe the lead singer of my band was named Mick, or Robert, or Axel, or Roger, or Jon etc. Therefore, mine are priceless. :occasion14:

The 535 basic price is less than the 335, and with the 335 you're getting what now seems like an "entry level" model since they have all of their VOS models from various years that are all more expensive. And even at that you can't spec out the goodies. And for the arch tops, the G's are way more expensive.

My local guitar store can get new heritage guitars they also are a gibson dealer, but the refrain from promoting the heritage line. The biggest concern is the resale value is just so poor. Were the gibson resale value is really good. Most guitar buyers stick with the gibson history and name. Yes, we know the history of the heritage guitars, but they told me ,they pitched the same story when they stocked them , but in the end the name and resale value of gibson won out. I must agree for 1,000 $ you can pick up a killer heritage , but at one point someone paid alot more money new, To support heritage my next one will be a new one and not a used one. Its great that we can get a used heritage at epiphone pricing , but in the end its not helping heritage. Plus heritage could helpthemselfs with a better website, adding pleked necks and tiding up of the electronics,(so i have heard) making the case included.promoting themself better. They have alot of history to back it up. Sometimes i think they dont put alot of effort into themselfs. Maybe peavey buying them out would give them the money and managment they need? Well thats my thought anyway. Wow that turned into a rant. Lol

All I can contribute to this discussion is that I could not not have purchashed my last two guitars from Gibson at any price., unless maybe the lead singer of my band was named Mick, or Robert, or Axel, or Roger, or Jon etc. Therefore, mine are priceless. :occasion14:

What dealer did you go through for that 150?

My local guitar store can get new heritage guitars they also are a gibson dealer, but the refrain from promoting the heritage line. The biggest concern is the resale value is just so poor. Were the gibson resale value is really good. Most guitar buyers stick with the gibson history and name. Yes, we know the history of the heritage guitars, but they told me ,they pitched the same story when they stocked them , but in the end the name and resale value of gibson won out. I must agree for 1,000 $ you can pick up a killer heritage , but at one point someone paid alot more money new, To support heritage my next one will be a new one and not a used one. Its great that we can get a used heritage at epiphone pricing , but in the end its not helping heritage. Plus heritage could helpthemselfs with a better website, adding pleked necks and tiding up of the electronics,(so i have heard) making the case included.promoting themself better. They have alot of history to back it up. Sometimes i think they dont put alot of effort into themselfs. Maybe peavey buying them out would give them the money and managment they need? Well thats my thought anyway. Wow that turned into a rant. Lol

I would agree that the resale market of Heritage guitars is much weaker than it should be but that trend is really not much different than with most high end products, Gibson is one of a few brands left that SEEM to transcend that anomaly but actually doesn't. The name Gibson will forever be given credit via pop culture (deservedly or undeservedly so) considering its product is much more likely to be in the hands of the next big someone who is being heavily marketed themselves.

People are sheep. always have been, always will be. The marketing machine behind Gibson would be foolish not to take advantage of such a reality. They have the ability to put out MASSIVE amounts of so-so product at higher end prices based on the demand from every kid who wants to be the next (insert guitar hero here). A company like Heritage simply can't compete with those inflated profit margins, manufacturing demands or distribution logistics but who ever said they wanted to?

I too feel Heritage could market themselves better on multiple levels but I've come to believe that they are CURRENTLY content with the orders they're filling and are probably looking forward to the next chapter for themselves as people and not as competitors....what does that mean for Heritage Inc??????

but seriously...Peavey??? I certainly hope that's just noise from the rumor mill.

I think people should stop complaining about the Heritage resale value until we buy up all the used ones:)

The two Heritages I bought used were screaming deals. And I ain't selling the one I bought new!

Agreed. I'm so grateful for the fact that there are used Heritages and Hamers, so I can now laugh everytime I see a Gibson LP "whatever" going for 300 or 400 more even though it has plastic fretboard inlays.

I think people should stop complaining about the Heritage resale value until we buy up all the used ones:)

The two Heritages I bought used were screaming deals. And I ain't selling the one I bought new!

I'm in a similar vessel.

The one Heritage I acquired used (also at a screaming deal) is the only one I'd ever consider parting ways with, there's NO WAY I'd take the hit on either of the H guitars I've bought new..... My beefs not so much a complaint as a disagreement with current market trends :icon_joker:

The Jay Wolfe's are really nice, but they use lower quality tops (plain tops) and there isn't a case included. So you end up paying nearly the same for a regular H150. But you are right, the price of a 157 is worthwhile in comparison to a Gibson equivalent. Now where I think Gibson really is priced better is their Les Paul Jr, Special, and Melody Maker. Any of those, with a case are well under $1,000. A Heritage 137 is nearly the price of a 150. One of my biggest complaints when it comes to those is the pricing. I really want a Les Paul Jr or Special DC.. Unfortunately, the Heritage equivalents are nearly 3x the cost.

Question: "New Heritage Pricing vs New Gibson Pricing"?

Answer: "Apples to Oranges"! Totally different business models!

Heritage has a totally different focus and purpose, and a value based on the following: Small volume manufacturing; Custom shop focused; Old school technology; Old school craftsmen; Different customer base; Minimal advertising to help keep costs down...And they support the Parsons St. Pilgrimage! :icon_salut:

The value of a Gibson is so heavily based on its iconic history of being heard on records, 8 tracks, cassettes and CD's by our guitar heroes. And yes, they can and do make quality instruments, mostly in their over-the-top-expensive Custom & Historic division. Toss those factors into the mix and pricing really gets out of the stratosphere! Folks are willing to pay for the cache for new gits...and resale stays high for their products.

For those reasons, and more, comparing these two guitar makers on any level is not fair. It does make for interesting comments on forums.

Now I'm going to grab my fat neck 535 Goldtop and make a joyful noise! :icon_smile:

Heritage has a totally different focus and purpose, and a value based on the following: Small volume manufacturing; Custom shop focused; Old school technology; Old school craftsmen; Different customer base; Minimal advertising to help keep costs down...And they support the Parsons St. Pilgrimage! :icon_salut:

The value of a Gibson is so heavily based on its iconic history of being heard on records, 8 tracks, cassettes and CD's by our guitar heroes. And yes, they can and do make quality instruments, mostly in their over-the-top-expensive Custom & Historic division. Toss those factors into the mix and pricing really gets out of the stratosphere! Folks are willing to pay for the cache for new gits...and resale stays high for their products.

For those reasons, and more, comparing these two guitar makers on any level is not fair. It does make for interesting comments on forums.

Now I'm going to grab my fat neck 535 Goldtop and make a joyful noise! :icon_smile:

That also implies made mostly by hand versus CNC machined. I also disagree a bit about the "Custom Shop" aspect. Having a custom made guitar to your own specs is awesome, but doesn't always mean quality is improved. Custom Shop to Gibson fans means a much higher quality... Custom Shop to Heritage fans means a guitar who's appointments are specifically requested by the purchaser... Two different terms of "Custom Shop"

Price a new Gibson Super 400 against a new Heritage Super Eagle and you will see a real difference in prices favoring Heritage. Same goes for a L5CES versus a Golden Eagle. And wowser on the value of an Heritage Eagle Classic!

I just don't get these posts at all????!!!!!

Go spec out an order from anyother hand made Luther guitar and see if you can get a guitar below $4K!!!!! You can't.

With Gibson you are paying for the name, larger production numbers, and more efficient manufactiuring (machine made) and a very nice guitar.

With Heritage you are paying for a handmade (human made) guitar, very low production numbers, and a less efficient manufacturing process (hand made) which is a very nice guitar too.

I am not going to address the which guitar is better debate because that needs to be done on a guitar to guitar bases. As far as resale value, ANY handmade luthier guitar will be much worse than even Heritage. Try selling a McInturff or a Thornton used and see what offers you get (50-60% less than what you paid).

A guitar is an instrument & tool, not a IRA or 401K. Buy a guitar to play it.

SO a 137 is made the same way as a 150 is made (hand made virtually the same number of hours) that is why it is priced like it is. If you don't like the price buy a robotically made Les Paul Special. I am not saying one is better than the other, but that is the just reason why they are priced like they are.

Price a new Gibson Super 400 against a new Heritage Super Eagle and you will see a real difference in prices favoring Heritage. Same goes for a L5CES versus a Golden Eagle. And wowser on the value of an Heritage Eagle Classic!

These...! Mostly the last one. JPtFT!

I just don't get these posts at all????!!!!!

Go spec out an order from anyother hand made Luther guitar and see if you can get a guitar below $4K!!!!! You can't.

With Gibson you are paying for the name, larger production numbers, and more efficient manufactiuring (machine made) and a very nice guitar.

With Heritage you are paying for a handmade (human made) guitar, very low production numbers, and a less efficient manufacturing process (hand made) which is a very nice guitar too.

I am not going to address the which guitar is better debate because that needs to be done on a guitar to guitar bases. As far as resale value, ANY handmade luthier guitar will be much worse than even Heritage. Try selling a McInturff or a Thornton used and see what offers you get (50-60% less than what you paid).

SO a 137 is made the same way as a 150 is made (hand made virtually the same number of hours) that is why it is priced like it is. If you don't like the price buy a robotically made Les Paul Special. I am not saying one is better than the other, but that is the just reason why they are priced like they are.

:icon_thumright::icon_thumleft: My thoughts exactly :hello2:

I bought my H150 because it was the best guitar for me that had the following spec's:

Single cut mahogany body with maple cap.

Two humbuckers.

Separate volume and tone controls for each pickup

3way switch to activate either or both humbuckers

TOM and stop tail bridge assembly

24.75in scale

Set neck

3 aside headstock.

Trapezoid inlays and neck binding.

Most of the other guitars I tried were Gibson Les Paul sig guitars.

There were some Japanese guitars that also shared these very same specs and I tried those also.

There was also a couple of PRS that were also tried.

At any rate, they all shared very similar specs. It seemed like they were all in some way trying to be a specific type of guitar.

I settled easily on the Heritage H150. I played it briefly and only plugged it in to try it almost as an after thought. It was immediately very cool to play. It satisfied my desire completely for that type of guitar.

For the same money I could easily have bought a Gibson guitar with these specs. Probably a little cheaper at the time.

The H150 retains approx .4 of it original rrp, maybe a little less.

The Gibson LP wouldve retained approx .6 of its original rrp. Maybe a little more.

Financially a bad decision most certainly.

Pretty much love it.

I sell Gibsons and only one R8 has come close to momentarily having me reconsider what I had versus the new comer. In a quiet side by side the H150 kept my attention and the trade wasnt made.

I dont think its ever been about bang for buck. Its serious stuff.

I hesitated to post this b/c I had NO desire to open the quality comparison door......Frankly---I try to value each guitar for what it is---We all know price doesn't necess = quality. I bought my previous 555 for 1/2 cost of a 335 (335 doesn't even have 1/2 the dressing of a 5551) & it was as close to a perfect guitar as I have ever seen or played.

Honestly, some people LOVE $400 guitars. Some have 2 have the G name. Some of us may look at nothing but Heritage....Well, GOOD FOR ALL. To each their own b/c the person paying for the guitar should be able to like what they like b/c it's their money and they have to live with their decision---good or not so good!

My point---As a Heritage fan, I am surprised to see the new guitar prices (I should really have specified 150s here as that model is mostly what I was discussing) so close to each other.....Truly, I was happy to see that in the Retail value market, retailers are willing to set prices that compare with the (deservedly or not) king of the mountain! Basically---ALRIGHT HERITAGE!---I think their build quality deserves to be spolighted in a way that encourages others to compare them against Gibson.

Judgment isn't really where I was going---Instead--just a chance to celebrate that not only the HOC, but also retailers find pride in Heritage guitars---the kind of pride that would cause them to both sell those guitars and do so at a price that competes with a more well known brand! Good for them and good for Heritage!

I would agree that the resale market of Heritage guitars is much weaker than it should be but that trend is really not much different than with most high end products, Gibson is one of a few brands left that SEEM to transcend that anomaly but actually doesn't. The name Gibson will forever be given credit via pop culture (deservedly or undeservedly so) considering its product is much more likely to be in the hands of the next big someone who is being heavily marketed themselves.

People are sheep. always have been, always will be. The marketing machine behind Gibson would be foolish not to take advantage of such a reality. They have the ability to put out MASSIVE amounts of so-so product at higher end prices based on the demand from every kid who wants to be the next (insert guitar hero here). A company like Heritage simply can't compete with those inflated profit margins, manufacturing demands or distribution logistics but who ever said they wanted to?

I too feel Heritage could market themselves better on multiple levels but I've come to believe that they are CURRENTLY content with the orders they're filling and are probably looking forward to the next chapter for themselves as people and not as competitors....what does that mean for Heritage Inc??????

but seriously...Peavey??? I certainly hope that's just noise from the rumor mill.

Couldn't say it any better! +1,000,000

Archived