Heritage Owners Club

Dead Patriot

Gitfiddler

Clicked on the standby switch on the Heritage Patriot this evening and left the room to let her warm up a bit.

I came back and the power light was not lit. Hmmm. Switched the power on...but nothing. Swapped out the power cord. Nothing. It could be a blown rectifier or power tube, but need to replace the fuse first.

Went to check the 3 amp fuse encased adjacent to the power cord...Can't access it. Arrghh!

How do you get to the fuse on these amps??

post-8-0-68948800-1417845504_thumb.jpeg

post-8-0-22100100-1417844683_thumb.jpg

Clicked on the standby switch on the Heritage Patriot this evening and left the room to let her warm up a bit.

I came back and the power light was not lit. Hmmm. Switched the power on...but nothing. Swapped out the power cord. Nothing. It could be a blown rectifier or power tube, but need to replace the fuse first.

Went to check the 3 amp fuse encased adjacent to the power cord...Can't access it. Arrghh!

How do you get to the fuse on these amps??

attachicon.gifHeritage Patriot Fuse.jpeg

attachicon.gifHeritage Patriot rear view.jpg

Arrrghh! is right Tim. Looks like a weekend project. Good luck.

Looks like you need to take the chassis out of the cabinet. No bid deal most of the time. Sometimes if there is shielding foil attached to the cab, a little lip might flip up during removal and make reinstallation a bit more difficult if you forgot to press it down flat before stuffing the chassis back into the cab. On some combos the chassis hangs up on the speaker, or just barely clears. Remove the speaker(s) first if that's the case. Make notes on which way the reverb cables go if there are cables to remove.

Most of my amps get taken out of their cabinets when I want to work on them, especially to bias or for convenience while tube rolling. I often tape a spare fuse somewhere safe inside the cab if it is a gigging amp. Good luck.

Good thing you didn't let the smoke out. :)

The fuse is directly above the power cord plug. You have a really good shot of it in your first photograph.

Heritage amps are built like tanks. I'd lay money on it being either fuse or rectumfrier.

there is a clip inside the power cord receptacle. I remember doing this on my Colonial

you may have to take off the back cover, but shouldn't have to pull the chassis

I don't want to risk breaking the tiny plastic fuse access door on the power cord receptacle.

How did you get to the fuse? Did you unscrew the entire power cord housing? Dumb question, but don't want to snap off the plastic piece.

attachicon.gifHeritage Patriot Fuse.jpeg

My Lobo did the same thing but the fuse wasn't blown. Turned out to be a gimpy on-off switch. It works fine 99+ out of a 100 times though so haven't replaced it. Know I was lucky, hope yours turns out to be manageable. These are great amps...Good luck!

hope it's simple. sounds like it, but know it can be maddening. as PaulC said about his amps in TGP a month ago, "if you are having a problem with an amp I designed for them I will do all I can to make it right. Please contact me at 615-896-8555"

"IT'S ALIVE!!"

frankenstein.jpg

This turned out to be relatively easy, pain free, and ONLY a blown fuse issue!

It took 4 steps. I removed the back of the amp, then CAREFULLY slipped a tiny screwdriver under the lip of the fuse cover. After a trip to the local Radio Shack for 2 packages of 3 amp SloBlo fuses, the deed was done!! It sounds GREAT again!!

Step #1:

post-8-0-73008300-1417911447_thumb.jpeg

Step #2

Step #3

post-8-0-62151600-1417911552_thumb.jpeg

Step #4

post-8-0-55628300-1417911597_thumb.jpeg

"IT'S ALIVE!!"

frankenstein.jpg

This turned out to be relatively easy, pain free, and ONLY a blown fuse issue!

It took 4 steps. I removed the back of the amp, then CAREFULLY slipped a tiny screwdriver under the lip of the fuse cover. After a trip to the local Radio Shack for 2 packages of 3 amp SloBlo fuses, the deed was done!! It sounds GREAT again!!

Step #1:

Step #2

Step #3

post-8-0-62151600-1417911552_thumb.jpeg

Step #4

post-8-0-55628300-1417911597_thumb.jpeg

post-8-0-26187700-1417911496_thumb.jpeg

I wonder why the fuse blew?

if it blows again, better get it checked out!

same wonderment here. could be worn-out fuse, but i recall a past case (BFSuperReverb?) where i kept blowing fuses and cause was (IIRC) a blown screen resistor further up the line...easy fix for my tech but i don't know a screen resistor from a reen scresistor...

I'm also concerned about a gremlin in the amp. It's on and sounding great so far. Hopefully it was just an overworked fuse. I bought the amp used, so who knows what its been through over the years.

She's happy now!!

post-8-0-85305600-1417926166_thumb.jpg

Sounds like someone wasn't able to vent their frustration; that's what blew the fifty amp fuse.

Spoke too soon...blew another fuse last night. (Sigh!)

I unplugged the Patriot, covered it with its matching red amp cover and turned the light off in the music room.

Simple or complex...It'll have to wait until after the holidays to further diagnose or fix. Too much on my plate at the moment.

Spoke too soon...blew another fuse last night. (Sigh!)

I unplugged the Patriot, covered it with its matching red amp cover and turned the light off in the music room.

Simple or complex...It'll have to wait until after the holidays to further diagnose or fix. Too much on my plate at the moment.

:(

Archived