Heritage Owners Club

Incoming: Custom Mesa Boogie Amp!

Every year at work we make vision boards for what we want to accomplish in the year. I put it on my vision board last year and this year to find a new amp that could be THE one, regardless of cost. I set a budget and didn't hit it last year, we hit some rough patches. I set the same goal this year and hit it with some extra! My wife was extremely happy for me, and helped me pick out the amp. Really cool!

I am very happy. I needed to find an amp truly capable of bedroom levels because we recently had a baby boy! The 5 Watt setting on this amp, along with its BEAUTIFUL sounding clean channel, AND the extremely versatile nature capable of covering all the really diverse styles of music I enjoy playing; this thing fit every checklist item for my dream amp. The Gries I just sold wasn't covering all the ground I wanted it to, and while it was the best amp I had ever owned and it sounded insanely good, for the last two years I wanted it to be something it wasn't.

When I brought my guitars to play the different Boogies, I spent three hours at the store and I was just gushing. I kept coming back to the 5:50 Express, I was sold. I have been passively looking for close to two years for THE amp that would truly satisfy my hunger for versatility and not compromise on tone. I FOUND IT!

I just placed an order with AJ Becera at Sweetwater for a custom designed Mesa Boogie 5:50 Express Plus Head and two custom designed 1x12 wide-body cabs. Needless to say I am over the moon excited, now I just have to wait three months for them to build the freaking things. :tongue3: This was the most expensive gear purchase I have ever made, and I told myself I would never be able to afford a custom Mesa. I am really proud that I hit our goal for savings, and my income goal at work. =)

Here is how I ordered it:

5:50 Express Plus Head with Seafoam Green Bronco Tolex, Wicker Grill Cloth, Brown Piping, Brown Leather Handle, and Brown Leather Corner Protectors.

1x12 Wide-body CLOSED BACK Cab: Cream Bronco Tolex, Wicker Grill Cloth, Brown Piping, Brown Leather Handle, and Brown Leather Corner Protectors.

1x12 Wide-body OPEN BACK Cab: Cream Bronco Tolex, Wicker Grill Cloth, Brown Piping, Brown Leather Handle, and Brown Leather Corner Protectors.
I was going to make all the tolex the same, but thought too much Seafoam would look gaudy, plus I have a Cream Bronco Tolex Covered Pedalboard from NYC pedalboards that I wanted to tie into my rig. I think this will be sexy, they are both retro colors, everything will tie in because only the Tolex colors differ but the colors compliment each other, and it will let the Seafoam head really stand out and be proud atop it's throne.
Here are some photos that gave me the inspiration, obviously this isn't my amp or cabinets because it is a different amp and the cabs will both have the wicker grill. Everything else is right color scheme wise. I will just have to drool over these until I take delivery. I will post a proper NAD when I receive it!!! Thanks for reading and commenting on this exciting time! :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:
ff5adf11d107e7bd1dcf3fcbbe9ad8b0_zpssqs8
_1_zpspf4ugyxg.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a big Mesa amp fan. And that looks to be one killer Custom you're having built. I use the wide-body 112 open back nearly every weekend. It is amazing the fullness that comes out of that design. It's not just a box with a speaker. Did you order the boxes with the Mesa C90 (Celestion Mesa Branded) speakers?

I am a big Mesa amp fan. And that looks to be one killer Custom you're having built. I use the wide-body 112 open back nearly every weekend. It is amazing the fullness that comes out of that design. It's not just a box with a speaker. Did you order the boxes with the Mesa C90 (Celestion Mesa Branded) speakers?

I ordered them with whatever speaker they normally come with, I'm not sure what that is. Is there a different speaker I should call and request before it's too late?

VERY cool Beagle! That will be one to cherish....

Dogboy has a 5:50 and keeps offering to let me have my way with it...haven't taken him up on that yet, hope to soon. As you know I'm an owner and fan, as well.

Enjoy. Between that Tele and that amp, you're gonna be one pasty looking dude come spring....

I ordered them with whatever speaker they normally come with, I'm not sure what that is. Is there a different speaker I should call and request before it's too late?

The C90 is standard in that cab. I was just curious if you'd spec'd something different. Personally, I like the C90 quite a bit now that it's broken in. Which is an issue with any speaker. Needs time to "set".

The C90 is standard in that cab. I was just curious if you'd spec'd something different. Personally, I like the C90 quite a bit now that it's broken in. Which is an issue with any speaker. Needs time to "set".

Gotchya! Yea, I figured if I was really opposed to the speaker that comes with it for whatever reason I could just swap it myself. My thought was that Mesa made it with a certain speaker for a reason. I am never too fond of any new speaker, I always give them a chance to break in. I already know that if I end up not liking these after the break in period, I will try a pair of Cannibus Rex's. Love that speaker. My only concern is since the speaker of the C-Rex is rated for 50 Watts, would I risk blowing it?

What about sliders? (That little bank of EQ sliding knobs.) I don't know if they automatically come with those or not but I would definitely get the sliders. You can turn them off if you don't want to use them but they add huge versatility.

What about sliders? (That little bank of EQ sliding knobs.) I don't know if they automatically come with those or not but I would definitely get the sliders. You can turn them off if you don't want to use them but they add huge versatility.

I'd suspect that what he has coming is the Express Plus. Not sure you can get the standard Express anymore. The "Plus" version comes with the sliders. The older "non Plus" version didn't. I had the non Plus. I recently played a Plus and loved it. My gripes with the old Express (wouldn't be gripes for everyone) were solved with the sliders. :)

RE: speakers...

Boogies come with typically Celestions as previously posted. The standard Mesa factory upgrade is to use the EVM 12l speaker, very powerful, very precise, very nice sounding, VERY heavy. Some of the very early Prune Street amps used Altec 417c's. Those speakers are a holy grail for clean tones. Altecs are very honest, they put out what the amp is putting out, with a far wider bandwidth than today's guitar speakers as a rule. They are also heavy speakers, but not as heavy as the EV's are If your back is not super strong, while you are looking check out the neodymium speakers, there is a decent selection and they are supposed to sound really nice, quite a few are rated for 100 watts as well.

A pair of 50watt C-rex speakers will be fine. You won't be putting enough watts through them to hurt. And you might like their dirty tones best of all the speakers mentioned here.

I'd suspect that what he has coming is the Express Plus. Not sure you can get the standard Express anymore. The "Plus" version comes with the sliders. The older "non Plus" version didn't. I had the non Plus. I recently played a Plus and loved it. My gripes with the old Express (wouldn't be gripes for everyone) were solved with the sliders. :)

Your suspicions would be accurate, and you cannot order one without the sliders. I am glad I got this version of this amp. It seems to have a lot of love here. All this discussion has made me more excited!! It seems extremely versatile, I love those sliders, DRAMATIC tonal impact.

I'm totally enthralled with the 5 watt setting on my 5:25. It's like having a 5F1 in your rig.

Boogies can be incredibly flexible.

I would like to pm you to get your info, I may have questions when I get her in, this is my first Boogie. I feel quite intimidated even after spending 2 hours toying with it. If your open to it, I would love someone to reach it to with real world experience with the amp.

I'm totally enthralled with the 5 watt setting on my 5:25. It's like having a 5F1 in your rig.

Boogies can be incredibly flexible.

That's what was so impressive when I played it in the store. And the headroom on the other wattages blew my mind. I never need to get to metal territory, but knowing that if I need to scratch the itch I actually can with this thing!

RE: speakers...

Boogies come with typically Celestions as previously posted. The standard Mesa factory upgrade is to use the EVM 12l speaker, very powerful, very precise, very nice sounding, VERY heavy. Some of the very early Prune Street amps used Altec 417c's. Those speakers are a holy grail for clean tones. Altecs are very honest, they put out what the amp is putting out, with a far wider bandwidth than today's guitar speakers as a rule. They are also heavy speakers, but not as heavy as the EV's are If your back is not super strong, while you are looking check out the neodymium speakers, there is a decent selection and they are supposed to sound really nice, quite a few are rated for 100 watts as well.

A pair of 50watt C-rex speakers will be fine. You won't be putting enough watts through them to hurt. And you might like their dirty tones best of all the speakers mentioned here.

Wow! Thanks for this! This is all awesome information.

Question though. If I were to have a C-Rex in each and decided to run just one of the cabs at a jam or a friends house and not bring both, would that be too much power with the 50w rating of the amp and the one 50w speaker? I am a complete newbie when it comes to the head and cab thing. I have always just owned combos. Thanks for the help!

I love those sliders, DRAMATIC tonal impact.

Yeah, I have them on my DC-5, assignable to either channel. Love it.

My 5:25 only has the EQ dial. It does the "scoop, half scoop, no scoop" thing alright, but for a lightweight tube amp, it rocks.

Generally, for me, less bass, around 9 O'clock, is better, but Noon settings are intended to begin the tweaking process. Most dials, except reverb, are within 11am and 2pm for me. They are so interactive. I've only had the amp for a month or so.

I'm betting this would apply to most Boogies.

Yeah, I have them on my DC-5, assignable to either channel. Love it.

My 5:25 only has the EQ dial. It does the "scoop, half scoop, no scoop" thing alright, but for a lightweight tube amp, it rocks.

Generally, for me, less bass, around 9 O'clock, is better, but Noon settings are intended to begin the tweaking process. Most dials, except reverb, are within 11am and 2pm for me. They are so interactive. I've only had the amp for a month or so.

I'm betting this would apply to most Boogies.

Thats great intel! Thanks!

I didn't realize that the 5:50 Express Plus had a 5 watt setting. That's neat!

Even though I have a great variety of amps right now, I've still been looking at the Mesa offerings very closely.

I've been quite a bit indecisive between the 5:50 Express Plus and the 5:25 Express Plus. I like the separate head & cabinet concept instead of a single combo version.

I'm happy for you in that you've got a great amp on the way to you! I'm sure that in time we'll get an awesome tone report from you.

Hence the name 5:25/5:50

Beagle, One thing to bear in mind when picking owners brains on these, the 5:25 is a 6v6 platform and the 5:50 is an EL84, so there is variety inherent in them aside from the max/wattage option.

It was exposure to a 5:25/Les Paul wielding journeyman a couple years back that sent me ISO a mesa in the first place. Dude was playing straight into the front, Guitar---->cable---->Amp. I simply couldn't believe what I was hearing. i ended up with a lower cost combo that I love, but that amp still haunts me, and I Gio flaunts it in my face at rehearsals occasionally.

I think you're gonna be really happy with your choice.

Even though I have a great variety of amps right now, I've still been looking at the Mesa offerings very closely.

I've been quite a bit indecisive between the 5:50 Express Plus and the 5:25 Express Plus. I like the separate head & cabinet concept instead of a single combo version.

I'm happy for you in that you've got a great amp on the way to you! I'm sure that in time we'll get an awesome tone report from you.

Absolutely, and if you want to you can come up to my place, or I can come down there and you can actually play your guitars through the rig once I take delivery. It will probably be three months. The waiting is already killing me. =)

I decided to go for the 5:50 Express Plus over the 5:25 for a few reasons:

-The biggest deciding factor was the 6L6 Tubes instead of EL84's. I personally don't care for driven sounds of 84's... some people love them. I played both and couldn't help gut love the glassy full cleans of the 6L6 bottles and the powerful, tight driven sounds. They were both great, and they are not priced that differently, so its more of a preference thing. Plus, coming from only ever owning 6L6 amps, it was a natural decision.

-As for the 5W setting, it is absolutely amazing! With having the 5W mode available on the 5:50, it didn't matter that it was a 50W tube amp. I decided that just in case I needed the extra clean headroom, the 5:50 would have it on tap. 25W is probably more than enough realistically so this wasn't a huge driver but it definitely influenced my decision. If the 5:50 didn't have a low watt setting, I would have done the 5:25.

-Weight would have been a deciding factor if I did the combo. With a head and cab obviously thats a non issue. We are talking a 3-5 pound difference give or take. If I were doing the combo, I would have gone with the 5:25 because it is a BIG difference in both weight and portability.

Beagle, One thing to bear in mind when picking owners brains on these, the 5:25 is a 6v6 platform and the 5:50 is an EL84, so there is variety inherent in them aside from the max/wattage option.

Kidsomke: That was a huge part of my decision to go with the 5:50 over the 5:25. See my above post that I posted before seeing your reply. =) Always works that way. lol. You have the tubes correct but switched the models they belong to. 5:25 = EL84 5:50 = 6L6

I forgot when I asked Yooper that the tubes were different and the EQ and response will definitely be slightly different. But it is good to have some frame of reference because the EQ makes such a dramatic impact on the tone of a Mesa compared to all the Fenderish amps I have owned.

Archived