Heritage Owners Club

Incoming: Custom Mesa Boogie Amp!

Nice!!!! Enjoy them! How are the sounds from the Express series? I see them pop up now an again. With the EQ, they might be a suitable replacement for my DC-5, with more versatility.

Also, did you build that pedalboard yourself, or is it a commercially available one?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice!!!! Enjoy them! How are the sounds from the Express series? I see them pop up now an again. With the EQ, they might be a suitable replacement for my DC-5, with more versatility.

Also, did you build that pedalboard yourself, or is it a commercially available one?

I am in love with the tones out of this thing. It covers so much territory and every one is amazing. This is the only amp I will ever need. The cleans are ridiculous and the burn channel is just nasty!!!! This amp has serious balls. I love it. With that graphic eq the tonal possibilities are endless. I need to get used to setting this amp, every knob has a dramatic impact on the tone.

As far as the pedalboard, it is commercially available through NYC Pedalboards. They will build it custom size in whatever tolex you want. I even had him use the latches and the leather handle I wanted. I was able to spec the width and the size of the second tier. I have two voodoo power supplies under the risers. It is the nicest board I have ever owned. He was great to work with. It is 4 years old and has held up excellently.

Nice looking man-cave!

I think you did right by going all seafoam green. The cream wouldn't have made it look like a matched set.

I am really glad I did as well. I am glad I went back and trusted my initial instincts.

Thanks for the man cave compliment. Took a while to figure out how to re-arrange with the recliner.

Boogie ON! I bet that sounds fierce with a pair of speakers.

I was just having a blast with the 5 watt setting on my 5:25 Express. Two amps in one, with two channels each, makes for an impressive range of sounds.

Now along with my DC-5 I have a Big Boogie and a Mini-Boogie. I still can't part with the DC-5. It's earned a permanent spot in the corner of my music room.

My Deluxe Reverb and Cube 60 are on hand to provide additional flavors of sound.

Now that I've run out of corners, I guess my hypothetical new Tweed will have to be in middle of the room.

Awesome amplifier!! I hope you enjoy it for many years!! I'll assume that your footswitch is Channel/Reverb/EQ/Solo? Congrats.

Thank you! And yes, that is the foot switch layout. I have never owned a two channel amp, I am a little lost. Haha.

Boogie ON! I bet that sounds fierce with a pair of speakers.

I was just having a blast with the 5 watt setting on my 5:25 Express. Two amps in one, with two channels each, makes for an impressive range of sounds.

Now along with my DC-5 I have a Big Boogie and a Mini-Boogie. I still can't part with the DC-5. It's earned a permanent spot in the corner of my music room.

My Deluxe Reverb and Cube 60 are on hand to provide additional flavors of sound.

Now that I've run out of corners, I guess my hypothetical new Tweed will have to be in middle of the room.

It is really cool sounding. I have both an open back and a closed back cab. I get the best of both worlds and the sound is enormous and so rich. I was looking at a convertible 2x12 but wanted even more versatility. This is the most versatile and portable rig I have ever owned.

As far as the 5w setting, pretty sure it will never leave that while at home. It sounds incredible! I love how this thing is both an incredible practice amp and a 50w beast all in the same amp head. And it is incredibly responsive to pickup volume. More so than any amp I have ever had.

My only regret is that I didn't buy this amp sooner. It is my perfect amp. Feels good to have finally found "the one."

Good job man, and Mesa's really hold their value. The pre-owned ones even go for pretty big bucks. Enjoy the hell out of it and make sure your neighbors KNOW that you have a new amp! :icon_sunny:

Good deal, it looks great! Congrats!

Thanks!

Good job man, and Mesa's really hold their value. The pre-owned ones even go for pretty big bucks. Enjoy the hell out of it and make sure your neighbors KNOW that you have a new amp! :icon_sunny:

Trust me, my neighbors knew the second I got it. :laughing7:

This really makes me want to get one, or at least try one out. I'm done with the "experimenting" phase of getting amps. I just want one that works. Would definitely free up space in my house too.

Well, I am in Baltimore. If you ever make it down this way, shoot me a PM. You are more than welcome to put it through its paces. I was tired of trying several that I kind of liked for this but not for that. This ended my search. It doesn't have a tone I desire and can't get.

T you'll never be done with the amp quest. I have 2 fab amps, one is 45lbs. and the other one is 65lbs. I'm looking for something under 20lbs. that also sounds Fab. Getting older is a bit*h. Good times.

This one ended my quest. The weights end up being perfect as three separate pieces. It is like 35-38lbs depending on which one you grab. They all feel portable alone, I couldn't even imagine the combo weight of a 2x12 version of what I ordered. This mix is very easily manageable weight wise. I am not old, but I HATE hauling heavy hear if I don't have to. That was a big consideration for me. This was a great compromise.

T you'll never be done with the amp quest. I have 2 fab amps, one is 45lbs. and the other one is 65lbs. I'm looking for something under 20lbs. that also sounds Fab. Getting older is a bit*h. Good times.

under 20 won't happen unless you go modeling. But the modeling amps get better every year. My little Yamaha sounds incredible. Not able to really play on any kind of stage, but for at home it sounds great.

FWIW, having multiple amp platform types to rotate through helps me, it's as if I get a lesson on how to play from each amp. Also fun to play the same pieces through different amp platforms.

Giggle biggest so far has been combining two different amps and two different cabinets together. Since the content of this particular thread is GAS enabling, It's about to get vulgar...Naah. I'm going to refrain for once. Just keeping the kudos for the OP from a former Mesa 2/12 Maverick owner...

Well, I just brought out the DC-5, and man is it a magical amp. If the Express 5:50 is an improvement on that, then it is mighty indeed. The one good thing about the DC amps is that I think the two channels use completely different sets of tubes.

The multi-watt ability of the express 5:50 would be awesome though. Still... have to sell all the other amps first.

• 3 weeks later...

Picture update!! They sent me new grilles with the correct piping and the correct logos.

I decided to sell my old NYC pedal board to get another one built with matching cosmetics. It even has the same handle as the amp, bought it from Mesa and drop shipped it to Mike at NYC (he is amazing). I have two new pedals incoming as well as a new DIY wiring kit to re-do the board's wiring completely. Once that's done I'm done. I hope. If I say it enough it becomes true right?

This ended up being an expensive endeavor, but I don't regret it for a second. This amp blows my mind every time I turn it on. SO MANY TONES! I haven't even scratched the surface, it is a new and great feeling. I am a Mesa fanboy now.

bf99818c31dfc39a53ea733396937cd6.jpg

Archived