Heritage Owners Club

SG by Heritage?

rwinking

Did Heritage ever build an SG? I see LP's, 335's, 330's, etc. and wondered about an SG.

rick

The closest to an SG design is the H-170. If you talk to Jim, Marv, Ren, and the others, they will tell you stories of the early days of the SGs coming off the assembly line with faulty neck joints. The original design was flawed.

Jim worked for Guild for a while and had a hand in designing the S-100 which was designed to compete with the SG. The neck joint is at the 19th fret which makes it more stable than the SG.

I forgot about that deal with the SG and the necks. I knew a lot of folks who had SGs and the necks broke and had to be repaired. I mean what the hell kind of guitar can't take it when a drunken singer knocks it off the stand?

I do have an H-170 which I love, but it is not like an SG to me. I was just curious why they never did one and now it makes sense.

I will not buy another Gibson product. If Heritage had an SG I would buy one but not a Gibson. I am kind of over them which is why I love Heritage.....all of the good of a Gibson w/o the BS. BTW, I would never re-shape or change my H-170. That would be a sacrilage.

remember that there is a "strengthened" neck joint SG, which is what the current 2016 SG standards have. They stupidly went back to the original design for a year or so, which just isn't strong enough IMHO.

I don't see Heritage ever making an SG. I do wish they would make something similar though, thin and sharp looking.

An LP SG Custom is on my shortlist of wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I borrowed one for about six to eight months. It was really old then and that was at least twenty years ago.

I remember a little neck dive, a smooth fretboard and I didn't want to give it back.

I guess I've lived a full life without it so it must not have too much better than the Flying V's that I played back then or I would have coughed up the cash.

I spent a lot of time working on a SG for a friend of mine once. It needed to be returned to playing condition. I never really cared for them though.

The closest I ever got to the SG concept was a PRS Mira which I really liked but eventually liked something else better.

It seems to me that the closest thing Heritage offers to an SG is the models H137DC or the H170. (The rim thickness on a H137DC is only 5/8th of an inch. Probably the thinest solid body Heritage makes.

Waaaaay back when, I had two different SGs that neck warped. And not like in "time warp", but in ........... holy crap what happened to the neck? That said, until they went wonkers on me it was my guitar of choice. Loved the feel, the response and the sure grit of that guitar. Went from the SG to an LP. Found the LP to be a bit more "polite" than the SG. I can't see the 137 being anything approaching the nature of an SG, other than both being solid slab bodies.

Wow, Polo,,,,,that was a nice sounding SG. That was not your usual SG fare, however. It really does show the versatility of the guitar but I think it shows more more of the the versatility of the player. I guess it is ok to hijack my own thread, so here is another example of a guitar out of context:

hard to believe that a tele can sound like that!

or this one:

These vids go to show one that about 90% of tone is in the fingers. That said, there is nothing like a big fat jazz box to help the fingers along with that last 10%!

Archived