Heritage Owners Club

As the company sale announcement looms......

Polo

As the company sale announcement looms............Do you feel that the Heritage guitars built in the first 30 years of business will instantly become more collectable?

I do.

Your thoughts as super supporters?

url_zps3kr88gqg.jpg

No, I do not

( unless whoever buys the company completely screws up the established high quality/hand made product & gets them assembled overseas etc )

otherwise I suspect they will carry on much as-is, but with better marketing. Heritage already are outstanding products; the new owners have to attract the staunch traditionalists who typically don't stray from the big F & G. Which should involve the question: WHY

Also F & G are getting a free ride on advertising, loyalty, and fandom, because of all the legendary acts that used their stuff, when there wasn't much else available. You can't buy that kind of exposure

Luckily it seems there is growing awareness of reviving USA manufacturing, buying American, and supporting the economy over here. So that trend is in our favour

IMO

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if it is Nosnowblower? I remember him being interested in being the next owner. He is very passionate about guitars, design, Heritage and the craftspeople. I also think he has a good business mind. Don't want to get ahead of myself if it is not him. Peace...

I wonder if someone is just blowing smoke up our arses to generate some sales?

Doubtful. As that would imply someone within the Heritage world had actually implemented a creative/effective marketing strategy. :icon_joker:

Doubtful. As that would imply someone within the Heritage world had actually implemented a creative/effective marketing strategy. :icon_joker:

No, I was talking about Jay wanting to move some inventory!

Remember last year at this time it was the price increase rumor, hmmmm.. Who started that one?

No, I was talking about Jay wanting to move some inventory!

I doubt that that is the case. It doesn't seem like an effective way to drive consumers to buy and would possibly have the opposite effect. Perhaps create a motivation to wait and see who is buying the company and what they would offer differently.

:icon_rendeer: Jumpin' the gun man, jumpin' the gun and does it really even matter? What matters the most is that the "old guys" who run the place are well taken care of in their remaining golden years. I wish them nothing but the best and cannot thank them enough for creating an extraordinary brand that carried on the legacy of the "original" Gibson name.

Not "blowin' smoke".......not that desperate, not that clever. I've had meetings with the serious prospective buyers, I like them, and I'm flying to Kal. to meet again in a few weeks. There are rumors out there and I just wanted to "inform" that things are looking really good for Heritage and the guys that created Heritage. I'm happy for them.

The price increase "rumor" was fact. It happened before I posted, and was implemented a few days later. Definitely accurate information.

A few guys are just so cynical....odd.

I post stuff here to be helpful and informative. It's sad some take it the wrong way.

Jay

Jay,

From what I've learned over the years of being a member on several guitar forum sites is this--just be you. Do what you think is right and say what you believe in. In the end, these are just guitar forums. Some folks are addicted to these sites and make mistakes because of their obsessions. They feel some sense of power. The goof balls and nasty folks will continue being what they are--it's just too easy to do on a site.

The Heritage company is a wonderful company. I appreciate the info you share and respect that you share info knowing a few people will make remarks just to get under your skin.

I've talked with and met many nice people on the hoc. I've also attempted to do business with a few that I learned very quickly to walk away from.

Case in point, one very popular character, who takes great pride in buying a guitar each week, posting his collection, and attempting to get his say and hands involved in who may or may not buy used heritage guitars, based on your "worthiness" continues to bad mouth me and make up stories about who I am and what I do. He made up horrible stories about me when I attempted to buy a heritage a few months back but refused to do so after he got involved. He posted all kinds of stuff online just to punish me. He continues to do this because it is his entertainment. He has a following and enjoys the control. He enjoys that people jump on his wagon and back up his stories. So, he bought the guitar, I bought an amazing l5 that was far superior to the heritage, and later he sent me an apology letter asking me to still buy the heritage. In the end...it is behavior like that which really hurts the heritage community. It silences the many good folks hanging around that don't post much. It also pushed people away from the brand.

I have a feeling a few of the negative folks biting on your heels every time you post about heritage guitars are of the same mold.

Let's hope the heritage guys make a fair deal they can live with and benefit from. Let's also hope you continue to play a positive role in helping the heritage company out. I hope you continue to share your knowledge about a sale as well. The silent majority do appreciate it.

Nothing else to do, on a rainy afternoon, so I'll do what comes naturally to middle-aged guys: Have an opinion....

As the company sale announcement looms............Do you feel that the Heritage guitars built in the first 30 years of business will instantly become more collectable?

I do.

Your thoughts as super supporters?

url_zps3kr88gqg.jpg

"(M)ore collectable...." I'll guarantee they won't. The choir is already collecting them. And though Heritage, the company, may change, context won't. Prevailing perception of The Majors, primarily Gibson, and historical precedent are firmly established. Look at what prices for Gibson Historic Pauls are doing. In terms of market share, Heritage has never made inroads in any significant way. How or why would that change all of a sudden? Who'll know...?

We are such sentimental fools here, in a good way.

Bingo!

I know this is probably not generally accepted, but I expect Heritage may become much stronger after the sale than it has been before. Of course that has pluses and minuses, but I'm thinking the good will outweigh the bad if they do it right. It would be very easy for a big outfit to come in and just ruin the brand and the instrument, but why bother, Heritage isn't a big threat to anyone in it's present iteration. So I'm thinking anyone who would want to buy it probably has Heritages best interests at heart. At least I hope so.

This is to be hoped.... But business and investment are about "the bottom line." And with rare exception, either from power plays, ambition, greed, stupidity, or desperation, throats are all too often cut. Ask Mr. Margol....

they are considering "upgrading the shop and wanting to increase production and [/font][/color]brand awareness."

Well, perhaps I was somewhat misleading, however unintential. By "upgrading" I meant bring up to OSHA standard- safer, better equipment, dust collection & the like. "Brand awareness" & "increase production" are words I typed for brevity & somewhat hurriedly. Personally I'd love to see some marketing, better setups, some inventory, etc. Heritage has never been marketed and some really good models have not sold well because folks just aren't aware of them.
If Heritage doesn't change hands, they will one day just close it & go home. I'd love to see the brand continue. Anyone buying it will want (insist) Marv, Jim & others to remain for a long period. A change will occur. It's for the best and will make these fine Guitars available for generations to come.
Jay

It's a very early Twentieth Century shop...a large part of the "charm." Charm sells in Colonial Williamsburg. I'm assuming the prospective buyers are business people, buying a business, rather than historians, buying a museum. They won't be buying it and having wax figures of Orville, Jim, Marv, J.P., et.al. placed in the shop. And the new owners won't be giving guided tours, dressed in quaint, historically accurate luthier outfits....

It's a very early Twentieth Century shop...a large part of the "charm." Charm sells in Colonial Williamsburg. I'm assuming the prospective buyers are business people, buying a business, rather than historians, buying a museum. They won't be buying it and having wax figures of Orville, Jim, Marv, J.P., et.al. placed in the shop. And the new owners won't be giving guided tours, dressed in quaint, historically accurate luthier outfits....

:laughing4: Hilarious visual, wonderfully written.

Sounds like these buyers are not another guitar company (or corporation that owns a guitar company), But if they are, I'd be hoping for G&L or even Rickenbacker, though I guess neither of those is likely. Both of these shops make consistently great guitars. If production remains in K'zoo, you gotta figure the same crew will make the instruments, maybe with some additions, production revisions, and safety upgrades. It would be nice to see the brand continue, since as Jay says, the only other option is for them to simply close the shop at some point.

I agree and definitely want Heritage to thrive and continue, if the same or better product continues.

But I have said this publicly before, I would also have no problem with the owners giving the employee fair warning and some type of severance ..... And the just closing the doors for good.

So my analogue would be; I would like to see Heritage retire like John Elway, going out on top, rather than Peyton Manning criticized for being a shell of his former self, being a below average quarter back, and hanging on too long.

I agree and definitely want Heritage to thrive and continue, if the same or better product continues.

But I have said this publicly before, I would also have no problem with the owners giving the employee fair warning and some type of severance ..... And the just closing the doors for good.

So my analogue would be; I would like to see Heritage retire like John Elway, going out on top, rather than Peyton Manning criticized for being a shell of his former self, being a below average quarter back, and hanging on too long.

They'll "want" & "need" the employee's.

Sounds like these buyers are not another guitar company

not only that but the new owner doesn't even know anything about guitars....he didn't even know the difference between an archtop and a solidbody

I presently have 7 Heritage guitars and really love the newer models. I have found that most produced past 2008 have a slightly thicker neck carve, very premium woods (with a few exceptions from the mid/late 90's I have been fortunate to own). It is cool to know Marv carved your neck and had Floyd apply your Gold or burst finish, but I have a 2014 Eagle Classic in Almond Burst that I find stunning. Marv, Jim, Ren and the gang have trained the employees well and I hope they thrive and continue the legacy. Looking forward to hearing more about the new owners coming in. Thanks Jay for soliciting information from this website. We all have a few things to look forward to in 2016....

not only that but the new owner doesn't even know anything about guitars....he didn't even know the difference between an archtop and a solidbody

oh! His names not Henry or David is it?

The Heritage was the old guys. Thats pretty much what it was about for me at least.

This new company will be interesting to watch.

Collectable? No one likes Heritage guitars more than those of us here in THIS forum. So when you think about the price going up in the future, you are just going to be trying to sell your "collectible and therefore expensive" Heritage guitar to someone here on this forum who has a great appreciation for them. But we all know each other here and that being the case, we aren't going to jack up the price on our used guitars when we try to sell them to someone we know. (You've all seen my sales ads, right? It doesn't work, does it?)

No one outside of this forum gives a crap about Heritage guitars because they are all a bunch of cork-sniffing Gibson fans who are easily distracted by shiny brand names. In my estimation, buying a Heritage guitar is always going to be a real bargain for anyone who doesn't want to buy into the huge Gibson marketing machine.

I would prefer that my new Heritage guitars have Marv's handwriting on the back of the headstock so only time will tell what my opinion of future Heritage guitars might be.

You might want to ask your source for better Intel.

sssoooo, he does know the difference between an archtop and a solid body? :dontknow:

Or... its more than one owner! one knows guitars and one knows money and one knows business or a some other combination of those options!

Is it someone or some people that posts here?

Its Jack Baruth isnt it?

sssoooo, he does know the difference between an archtop and a solid body? :dontknow:

Or... its more than one owner! one knows guitars and one knows money and one knows business or a some other combination of those options!

Its Jack Baruth isnt it?

You guessed it. Jack is buying Heritage just so he can hold it for ransom. Either let him back onto HOC, or he will have Heritage only make Electra guitars.

Its Jack Baruth isnt it?

There have been a lot of new poster's chiming in lately....... :glasses7::glasses6:

Archived