Heritage Owners Club

As the company sale announcement looms......

Polo

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope..

Bill, slammer, and Thorn, but not Jack.

Guess I thought the guy from S.Bend was Jack, but now that I re-read it, I'm guessing he was the villain mentioned in the rant.

Saab is Swedish for overpriced Yugo.

Had a string of 9-5s; a '99, a '04, and '07. Liked them for many of the same reasons I'm drawn to Heritage guitars. Kind of like buying the un-cola of automobiles. Or the un-gibson of guitars.

They were well built, high quality turbocharged cars that produced lot's of power and high fuel economy. At the same time they were practical, safe, and sold for a lot less than comparable European brands. I was really bummed when they finally went out of business.

kinda off topic, and on, do s/h hamer's fetch better prices now than they did? If so what sort % increase are we looking at?

I know s/h Saab prices plummeted and even then they were still a bad deal.

s/h? Post company closure?

From what I have seen, Hamers were once cheaper on the used market, the word has gotten out some but they are still often great deals, especially if you see one locally on CL, these are often the lowest priced. I guess this is often true for Heritage as well.

Jay,

From what I've learned over the years of being a member on several guitar forum sites is this--just be you. Do what you think is right and say what you believe in. In the end, these are just guitar forums. Some folks are addicted to these sites and make mistakes because of their obsessions. They feel some sense of power. The goof balls and nasty folks will continue being what they are--it's just too easy to do on a site.

The Heritage company is a wonderful company. I appreciate the info you share and respect that you share info knowing a few people will make remarks just to get under your skin.

I've talked with and met many nice people on the hoc. I've also attempted to do business with a few that I learned very quickly to walk away from.

Case in point, one very popular character, who takes great pride in buying a guitar each week, posting his collection, and attempting to get his say and hands involved in who may or may not buy used heritage guitars, based on your "worthiness" continues to bad mouth me and make up stories about who I am and what I do. He made up horrible stories about me when I attempted to buy a heritage a few months back but refused to do so after he got involved. He posted all kinds of stuff online just to punish me. He continues to do this because it is his entertainment. He has a following and enjoys the control. He enjoys that people jump on his wagon and back up his stories. So, he bought the guitar, I bought an amazing l5 that was far superior to the heritage, and later he sent me an apology letter asking me to still buy the heritage. In the end...it is behavior like that which really hurts the heritage community. It silences the many good folks hanging around that don't post much. It also pushed people away from the brand.

I have a feeling a few of the negative folks biting on your heels every time you post about heritage guitars are of the same mold.

Let's hope the heritage guys make a fair deal they can live with and benefit from. Let's also hope you continue to play a positive role in helping the heritage company out. I hope you continue to share your knowledge about a sale as well. The silent majority do appreciate it.

So, are you saying you've not experienced Heritage archtops that weren't "superior" to the L5?

What a shame for you. I've owned several L5's, and Super 400's, with their dead acoustic voices, that couldn't hold a candle to GE's and SE's.

"Superior" is too subjective a term to use to define any archtop, in my experience.

YMMV.

2b--perhaps you should take more time to carefully read my post. I appreciate your attempt to stir the pot and revert the focus of the post to a personal debate over what the term superior means and who may or may not use the term. I don't think you are qualified to tell another a term like superior should not be used when you have never seen nor played the instrument I've referenced. You are welcome to call me and have a private conversation over the matter if it helps you feel better. That, however, matters little, as the purpose of my post is to simply state how silly some folks behave on these sites and show appreciation for jay wolfe's posts about the progress of a potential sale. Jay should not be bashed if he posts on here nor should others worry about having a debate over their archtop experiences. Be it popular or not, I will always take a stand against those bashing others on forums. Perhaps we could focus on appreciating heritage guitars?

LOL!!!!

2b--perhaps you should take more time to carefully read my post. I appreciate your attempt to stir the pot and revert the focus of the post to a personal debate over what the term superior means and who may or may not use the term. I don't think you are qualified to tell another a term like superior should not be used when you have never seen nor played the instrument I've referenced. You are welcome to call me and have a private conversation over the matter if it helps you feel better. That, however, matters little, as the purpose of my post is to simply state how silly some folks behave on these sites and show appreciation for jay wolfe's posts about the progress of a potential sale. Jay should not be bashed if he posts on here nor should others worry about having a debate over their archtop experiences. Be it popular or not, I will always take a stand against those bashing others on forums. Perhaps we could focus on appreciating heritage guitars?

LOL !!!

Did you read your own obsequious whingy ass character assassinating post?

"Superior" is 'subjective speak' as in "to your own ears only."

Regarding archtops, or audio gear, it's a meaningless term to anyone else's ears, and/or standards, but yours....this is forum understanding 101 stuff...surely you must get that.

Yes, I've not played "your" guitars. But I've owned L5's, and Super 400's, and Heritage Golden Eagles and Super Eagles...and regarding the latter models, if I've "read" you correctly, you have not "owned", yet regarding the latter you consider yourself no doubt a "superior expert."

No time, or desire, for pot stirring...but if you want to make blanket statements on forums, like "superior" or "better than", and consider your truth should be everyones truth, expect to be called out on it, for that's like bait! :)

Oh, and Happy New Year all! :)

GSB, As long as the quality stays the same or has slight, incremental improvements, the price for comparables being at least 1/4 less than G, and Heritage doesn't become a company that refuses to make customs, I'll be thrilled. Decided on Heritage back in '98 because they were the only quality maker who would truly allow me to have a one-of-a-kind guitar. Wish I had the million or so to have bought it myself. - Charles Bevell

I’ve more than once day dreamed about purchasing Heritage. The following would be essential in my opinion:

1: Keeping the current knowledgeable and experienced work force intact (i.e. stay in Kalamazoo).

2: Continued use of quality materials.

3: Continue to hand build guitars the old school way, with the old school machinery (possibly in a new building if necessary).

4: Continue to offer custom orders with custom options like bound headstock, RS Guitarworks electronics, ThroBak pickups, etc.

5: Most importantly, keep the founders around as long as possible so you can learn as much about how the company operates from the building process, material selection, dealer relationships, etc., etc., etc., etc.

Now with profitability being a factor as a new owner there are two things I would do.

1: Marketing. Updating the website would be essential. Advertising on guitar websites and magazines. “We only build signature model guitars. Your signature model.”

2: I would offer two headstock options on every guitar. The current version that most of us now love but probably didn’t like initially if we are being honest. Also offer a new unique design that is beautiful like Gibson, PRS or [insert your favorite here].

I believe that the biggest reason Heritage is not more widely accepted, appreciated and so forth is due to the headstock. I obviously have no market research to back that statement, just an opinion. It’s a shame that more people don’t give Heritage a chance due solely on a headstock. I believe a new simple but beautiful headstock option and some marketing would do wonders, assuming all else remain the same.

As far as the initial question of appreciation due to new owners, I doubt it in the short term unless the new instruments really suffer in quality. Even then I’m not sure due to the relative small fan base. Maybe in 30-40 years the guitars will be properly appreciated but most of us won’t still be around then to say “I told you these were great guitars!”

Hopefully Heritage will be around for generations to come building the same guitars we love today. Good luck to the current owners, employees and new owners. I look forward to the future. A heartfelt “Thank you” to the founders and all involved in making these great guitars currently and in the past.

I’ve more than once day dreamed about purchasing Heritage. The following would be essential in my opinion:

1: Keeping the current knowledgeable and experienced work force intact (i.e. stay in Kalamazoo).

2: Continued use of quality materials.

3: Continue to hand build guitars the old school way, with the old school machinery (possibly in a new building if necessary).

4: Continue to offer custom orders with custom options like bound headstock, RS Guitarworks electronics, ThroBak pickups, etc.

5: Most importantly, keep the founders around as long as possible so you can learn as much about how the company operates from the building process, material selection, dealer relationships, etc., etc., etc., etc.

Now with profitability being a factor as a new owner there are two things I would do.

1: Marketing. Updating the website would be essential. Advertising on guitar websites and magazines. “We only build signature model guitars. Your signature model.”

2: I would offer two headstock options on every guitar. The current version that most of us now love but probably didn’t like initially if we are being honest. Also offer a new unique design that is beautiful like Gibson, PRS or [insert your favorite here].

I believe that the biggest reason Heritage is not more widely accepted, appreciated and so forth is due to the headstock. I obviously have no market research to back that statement, just an opinion. It’s a shame that more people don’t give Heritage a chance due solely on a headstock. I believe a new simple but beautiful headstock option and some marketing would do wonders, assuming all else remain the same.

As far as the initial question of appreciation due to new owners, I doubt it in the short term unless the new instruments really suffer in quality. Even then I’m not sure due to the relative small fan base. Maybe in 30-40 years the guitars will be properly appreciated but most of us won’t still be around then to say “I told you these were great guitars!”

Hopefully Heritage will be around for generations to come building the same guitars we love today. Good luck to the current owners, employees and new owners. I look forward to the future. A heartfelt “Thank you” to the founders and all involved in making these great guitars currently and in the past.

You've got my vote to join the new Heritage management team! :icon_salut:

The reason Heritage is not as popular as Gibson, is because it doesn't say Gibson on whatever shaped headstock. If they do change the headstock shape then there will be a way to clearly identify the "original Heritages" from the "new post-original owners" Heritages. That possibly could make mine more collectible!!!

Sometimes I get the impression that people want to ignore Heritage for some reason.

Case in point.... Vintage Guitar magazine just did an article on 47 semihollow guitars. They showed quite a few small builders and boutique guys like Bilt, Melancon, McCurdy, Zion, Thornton, as well as bigger names like Gretsch, Fender, Gibson and Reverend. No mention of Heritage (who has both the 535 and the Mille which would have fit perfectly). Surely these guys know who Heritage is.

When JP died in September, I personally sent an email to VG to let them know that a person who had been involved in the guitar industry for over 50 years with Gibson and then founding Heritage had passed. They frequently publish notices about people who have died that were involved in the guitar industry, even dealers who have been around get mentioned. They never made a mention of JP in any of the issues that I have seen.

Maybe its a case of the squeaky wheel getting the grease. You have to keep pushing your product. It doesn't take an ad, but getting mentions in publications will generate interest.

Archived